General - Reducing Lag

Technomancer

Reaction score
Grammer error:

This tutorial will teach you how to fix all this, and help to make your map run even more smoothly.

should be either:

This tutorial will teach you how to fix all this, and help to make your map run more smoothly.

or

This tutorial will teach you how to fix all this, and help to make your map even more smooth.

Just thought I'd point that out :D :cool:

1) More goes with the adjective, as in more smoothness.
2) You cannot use more with smoothly, it's an adverb. Instead use "smoother", your map will run smoother. No more smoother, just smoother.
3) example 2 is good.

S

scyap

For 3. PreLoading
A. Units

i dont know how to do preloading and my map has a 20 second cinematics at map init (for giving credits+load some invulnerable triggers)

and during that 20 sec, can i put a dummy to make all dummy units/dummy spells effects run for the first time ?:banghead:

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Have you played diablo? Do you know what frozen orb is?

If you do, would making a GUI-based frozen orb just horribly lag the map, because it creates a sick amount of units with lots of periodics?

CEMEHbl4

Reaction score
Darthfett
what about connection splits? do you know something?

i have it sometimes...

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
If you use GetLocalPlayer(), it can cause server splits if used incorrectly. Also, the "Pan camera as Necessary" causes server splits.

I have also heard Terrain Deformations causes it sometimes, if you're using that. I've never even used it before, so don't take my word for it. :p

THE_X

Reaction score
cool tut i just have one question when u say premake a unit with the same ability as a hero you have or w/e is that canceling like the 1st time i use my heros ablity it will lag but after that its fine. does that take that effect away where the 1st time is lagless?

Darthfett

Reaction score
cool tut i just have one question when u say premake a unit with the same ability as a hero you have or w/e is that canceling like the 1st time i use my heros ablity it will lag but after that its fine. does that take that effect away where the 1st time is lagless?

That is correct. If you don't preload the abilities, the game will be forced to load the abilities in the game, which is why it lags the first time. After that, the ability is already loaded, and it does not need to be reloaded each time the hero is created.

Marsmallos

Reaction score
The other players lag may also be because of how large your map is. If your map is Epic, or Large sized, you may want to add a loading time at the beginning of the map, just so players can handle the heavy strain on their computer.

Exactly how do I add loading time at the beginning of the map?

Darthfett

Reaction score
Exactly how do I add loading time at the beginning of the map?

Basically the idea is that you do nothing for a small amount of time, and give players a small amount of time to load the map itself. Instead of doing Time - Elapsed time becomes equal to 0.00, you can do Time - Elapsed time becomes equal to 6.00

ZakkWylde-

Reaction score
Awesome!! =D

Grammer error:

This tutorial will teach you how to fix all this, and help to make your map run even more smoothly.

should be either:

This tutorial will teach you how to fix all this, and help to make your map run more smoothly.

or

This tutorial will teach you how to fix all this, and help to make your map even more smooth.

Just thought I'd point that out :D :cool:

Uh...What he said was more correct (and is correct) than either of your two statements...Your second choice does not even refer to what he was talking about...You're talking about the map like it is a nice leather couch.

Anyways, great post. Helped a lot
+rep!

Kahem

Reaction score
I have a problem

this is my trigger
Events
Time - Every 1 seconds of game time
Condions
Actions
Set ForEachInt = 0
For Each (Integer A) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
Set ForEachInt = (ForEachInt + 1)
Set Remember5[ForEachInt] = Remember4[ForEachInt]
Set Remember4[ForEachInt] = Remember3[ForEachInt]
Set Remember3[ForEachInt] = Remember2[ForEachInt]
Set Remember2[ForEachInt] = Remember1[ForEachInt]
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Player(ForEachInt)) matching (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True)) and do Actions)
Loop - Actions
Set Remember1[ForEachInt] = (Position of (Picked unit))

How do i make this leakless!?

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
Necromancer + Off Topic = /\

And no... Leak Checker don't is a trojan.

Reaction score
Code:
[B]Events[/B]
     Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
[B]Condions[/B]
[B]Actions[/B]
     Set ForEachInt = 0
     Unit Group - Pick every unit in ([b][color=red]Units owned by (Player(ForEachInt)) matching (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True)[/color][/b]) and do (Actions)
          Loop - Actions

Units owned by (Player(ForEachInt)) matching (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True): Unit groups leak.

Code:
[B]Events[/B]
     Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
[B]Condions[/B]
[B]Actions[/B]
     Set ForEachInt = 0
     [color=blue][b]Set Temp_UnitGroup = (Units owned by (Player(ForEachInt)) matching (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True))[/b][/color]
     Unit Group - Pick every unit in [color=blue][b]Temp_UnitGroup[/b][/color] and do (Actions)
          Loop - Actions
     [color=blue][b]Custom script:    call DestroyGroup(udg_Temp_UnitGroup)[/b][/color]

I'm not entirely sure if this is the only leak, though. Remember5[] might leak.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.