Getting random BSODs for the past few months

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
So I recently (within the last 4 months) upgraded my computer, getting a new mobo, processor, RAM, and Graphics card. Originally I was having problems with random shutdowns (occasionally being a BSOD), which I thought to be related to overheating problems (as the processor was getting within 1-2 degrees of the maximum specified running temp), so I upgraded the case. Then I upgraded the graphics card, shortly after with a used card from a trusted friend (he needed an nVidia card for linux-compatible drivers).

Then I started having problems with Blue Screens of Death ALL THE TIME, so I started running tests on everything. Hard drives tested okay (with every possible test I could think of), RAM ran through 2 passes of memtest without any problems, and it wasn't overheating. I ended up reformatting Windows several times to no avail, and ended up with an installation of 64-bit Windows 7. Still having trouble with the random shutdowns, so I ended up updating the drivers for everything but the mobo-bios and graphics-bios. Still having random BSODs.

Then, at one point, my power supply started shooting sparks out the back of my computer at a LAN party. A friend ran over and unplugged the power cable, and we tested everything inside with a borrowed PSU (along with a smaller GPU), and nothing was fried (Except the Power Supply of course). Went to Best Buy to get a new Corsair 650W PSU, and installed it, only to find that the PSU was not the only problem (BSODs continued). A few days later I tried the older Graphics card, and haven't had a problem for 3 weeks... until today, when I had 3 random BSODs in a row. Now I'm lost as to what could possibly be causing the problem.

I've replaced the GPU, PSU, and tested the RAM, Hard drives. The only things left are the CPU, and MOBO, and I don't see how they could have any problems with them, as they were brand new.

Current Setup:

PSU - Corsair 650W (2 weeks new)
GPU (2 years old) - HIS Radeon HD 2600 PRO
GPU (Used) - HIS Radeon 4850
CPU (4-5 months new) - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black
MOBO (4-5 months new) - Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P (Revision with Blue SATA)
RAM (4-5 months new) - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Case (4 months new) - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black
HDs - System - 750GB SATA WD Caviar Green (5400 RPM - 7200 RPM)
- Storage - 160GB SATA 7200 RPM WD

All stock cooling, but keeps everything cool enough.

I'm getting really tired of my computer never being reliable during games or work. Please help me find the source of the problem! :)

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well considering what you have told us, it has to be some hardware. Mainboard issues can be pretty nasty, but I can't tell for sure. I guess the only way is to try out stuff on spare boards.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
By "cool enough" what do you mean? And what are you using to test the temps?

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
By "cool enough" what do you mean? And what are you using to test the temps?

Testing with Speedfan and Everest. They both agree that the CPU stays 49C - 56C (idle - load), and having never personally seen it go over 57C.

GPU idles at 37C, but can go up to 49C

It's unrelated to how the computer is running, I can be fine with 3 tabs in Google Chrome, WoW, FL Studios, and TF2 all running at once.

Supposedly the chip's maximal temperature to run under is 62C, though I don't remember where I read it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.