Getting Random BSoDs

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a new Motherboard, Processor, and RAM for my computer, but now I'm having a lot of problems with Blue Screens of Death.

Here's my specs:

Recent upgrade:
MOBO: Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black (AM3 processor)
RAM: OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 (2 x 2GB Dual Channel Kit)

PSU: 750W Modular
GPU: HIS Radeon 4850 512MB DDR3 256-bit

3 HDs:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=337
Western Digital Green Caviar 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Sata 3.0Gb/s (System drive)

WD 160GB 7200RPM 16MB Sata 3.0Gb/s (Storage drive)
WD 160GB 7200RPM 16MB IDE (Backup drive - currently not in use, but is connected)

Wireless Adapter:
Encore ENLWI-NX2 - Doesn't seem to have Windows 7 drivers available

I've gone through a ton of tests to try and figure out what the problem is. The crashes seem to be really random, as I've experienced them 30 seconds after starting up, or 3 hours after starting up, sometimes when I'm not doing anything at all.

This originally started with me installing Windows 7 over XP, using the "Upgrade" option which put the XP files into Windows.old. Then, I upgraded my computer about a week later.

I don't remember when the problems started, as I ignored the crash, thinking it to be a fluke. However, the crashes started to be more frequent.

I believed the problem to have something to do with the old drivers (as I did not uninstall as I should have), and formatted the drive/reinstalled Windows 7.

This worked for a while, but the crashes started happening again, when I was only running chrome, or downloading a game from Steam. I thought maybe this was a problem with the wireless card, so I decided to install the drivers off of the CD that came with the card (instead of the Windows 7 drivers).

Not long after, I had another crash while I was just running chrome. I ended up downloading the drivers from the main site, only to find that they only had Vista drivers, not native Windows 7 drivers. These drivers didn't work either, so I decided to try swapping out the card with my brother's, which works on Windows 7. I downloaded everything for about 6 hours, not having any crashes. However, I didn't try playing any games or doing anything besides downloading. I still had the old card in the PCI slot in the computer, but I had disabled the adapter through Windows.

I figured that because the crashes ceased, it must be a problem with the adapter. After removing my brothers card, I left my adapter also disabled, and simply left the computer running (not doing anything at all), while I read a book. Within 5 minutes, the computer shut down via a BSOD.

Now I'm at a loss as to what could be the cause. I have been able to play GTA IV and Crysis Warhead for quite a while without any problems. In fact, the crashes all seem to be happening when the computer is idling.

I've run a hard drive test and it encountered no problems with the system drive. I regularly defragment (not that this would solve any problems, haha) all 3 drives (I haven't defragmented since

I ran a memory test using Memtest86+, but it ran through nearly two passes without any problems. I didn't bother to go through it further, since I was able to run games without any problems.

Anyone have any ideas? I have the crash dump logs if you would like to see them. Thanks in advanced!! :D

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I was going to say check your RAM first, but it seems you already did. I had this problem once on one of my older computers, and it was because one of the RAM cards was screwed and corrupted memory.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Power Settings -> High Performance, shut off Hybrid Sleeping and anything else regarding to sleeping. Make your monitor go off after 15 minutes and never on your hard disks, and keep it power hungry, then tell us if the crashes stop ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.