Getting started on custom dota-based map.

Flip

Reaction score
So, I've been a Warcraft 3 player for a few years now, and recently decide to start a project to create a map to paly with friends. Basically, what I want to create is a game that play exactly like Dota, but with my custom models for heroes, creeps, etc. With that in mind, I started messing around in the World Editor and reading some tutorials over the net. However, I fell like I've only managed to get more confused about how to proceed in my goal. That's why I came here, to ask for some good beginner tutorials to help me grasp the concepts of map creating and the real depth of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I realize I'm being too blunt I'm asking this, since I'm basically asking for someone to walk me through the begining process, but I really feel totally lost! Should I creat my map from scratch or should I try to use some of the things already present on Dota maps? What kind of knowledge will I need to be able to create what I want/ What kind of programs should I use? Any kind of help to start my journey would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance for those willing to help!

merlinds

Reaction score
There are a lot of beginner guides here in thehelper. Use the search function and search under the subforum of "Tutorials"
About the dota map. The difficulty of doing what you want really depends of how close to the real dota you want to get.
Because the real dota is a really complex map and it will take you a lot of time to learn how to do it.
And by the way, there are DotA templates for you to download, this can make you a lot easyer to start.

Slayerxx

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well happens that im doing the same thing atm, here is a what i have in a week or so, it may be helpful or not but it may help to give u a sense of a way to model triggers terrain etc off:

View attachment Last Stand.w3x

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
If you're trying to simulate DotA's complexity or fame, then I think you might as well give up. But if you just want to make a map with the same concept, but fill it with ideas of your own, go ahead. But I would suggest that you try to make a simple mini-game to learn the ins and outs of the editor. Feel free to ask on the site.

Dota Template

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.