Getting Started With C#?

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting into C#, but I'm not exactly sure where to start.
I know a little bit of C/C++ already, as well as the general concept behind C# (I've read up on the syntax, and am familiar with most of it.).

Any suggestions on where to go next? :D

(PS: VS 2008.)

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
goto EXIT_C#

InitPerl6(); # xD

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First get the trial Microsoft Visual Studio C# 2010 Express, which lasts forever and has great functionality.

Then, work on creating some basic programs interacting with the system, like create a battle engine and then save data heroes to text files in directories you create.

Eventually create a GUI for some things, like a GUI for picking files, and do something with the file like search for leaks in GUI by having them supply a .txt with the trigger in it, keep advancing on this till you get it a good leak checker that searches for all the leaking lines.

After that, research XNA and follow some tutorials to get into 2D games. Create a pong game. Then, create a real pong game with highscores and features and maybe even power ups and speeding up ball and shrinking or expanding the paddles based upon where the ball bounces, really beef it up. You should be pretty proficient with flat-2D at that point. That means you could start to make something like Vamp, but 2D. Just walls instead of cliffs, it will get you a lot better with 2D, then make a game like Mario, a side scroller.

Keep on developing games like it's your job, then get started on 3D. Before you know it, you'll be a C# Guru.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
or if you have a .edu email, you can get the full 2010 version from here, it includes better documentation, otherwise go with what tooltiperror said

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I can't use VS 2010. It lags waaaay too much.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then, you're going to get half as far in twice the time.

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I assume that you already have a project in mind that requires C#. Why don't you tell us a bit about that project and we can probably tell you what you need to know.

I haven't touched C# for a while, so I'm not familiar with the .NET 4.0 features. But my favourite feature of C# is the getters / setters (I think they call it "properties"). That will be a good one to look into. You might also want to look into events and delegates. Since you didn't say you're familiar with Java, take a look into generics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.