Environment Giant box close to being over oil-spewing well

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
AP) -- A mission to the bottom of the sea to try to avert a wider environmental disaster progressed early Friday as crews said a 100-ton concrete-and-steel box was close to being placed over a blown-out well on the Gulf floor in an unprecedented attempt to capture gushing oil.

Douglas Peake, the first mate of the supply boat that brought the box to the site, confirmed a radio transmission from the nearby vessel lowering the device that said the device would be in position over the well soon.

The transmission said undersea robots were placing buoys around the main oil leak to act as markers to help line up the 40-foot box.

A crane late Thursday lowered the containment vessel designed to collect as much as 85 percent of the oil spewing into the Gulf and funnel it up to a tanker. Eventually the crane would give way to underwater robots that will secure the contraption over the main leak at the bottom, a journey that would take hours.

A steel pipe will be installed between the top of the box and tanker. If all goes well, the whole structure could be operating by Sunday.

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Bubble of methane triggered rig blast

The deadly blowout of an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was triggered by a bubble of methane gas that escaped from the well and shot up the drill column, expanding quickly as it burst through several seals and barriers before exploding, according to interviews with rig workers conducted during BP's internal investigation.

While the cause of the explosion is still under investigation, the sequence of events described in the interviews provides the most detailed account of the April 20 blast that killed 11 workers and touched off the underwater gusher that has poured more than 3 million gallons of crude into the Gulf.

Portions of the interviews, two written and one taped, were described in detail to an Associated Press reporter by Robert Bea, a University of California Berkeley engineering professor who serves on a National Academy of Engineering panel on oil pipeline safety and worked for BP PLC (BP) as a risk assessment consultant during the 1990s. He received them from industry friends seeking his expert opinion.

Read the news here.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem for Containment Dome in Gulf

Officials for BP on Saturday encountered a significant setback in their efforts to attach a containment dome over a leaking well on the seabed of the Gulf of Mexico, forcing them to move the dome aside while they find another method to cap the crude oil flowing into the Gulf since April 20.

Officials discovered that gas hydrates, ice-like crystals lighter than water, had built up inside the 100-ton metal container. The hydrates threatened to make the dome buoyant, and they also plugged up the top of the dome, preventing it from being effective.

“I wouldn’t say it has failed yet,” Doug Suttles, BP’s chief operating officer, said at a news conference in Robert, La. “What we attempted to do last night hasn’t worked.”

As a consequence, crews had to lift the dome off the well and place it on the seabed.

More.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Maybe the oil still flows because the box is a lie ._.

“I wouldn’t say it has failed yet,” ...
....“What we attempted to do last night hasn’t worked.”

wad ._.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
If the box is not used maybe they could put Sarah palin in it and leave it on the ocean floor

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
^ seriously?

their lack of planning and fore-site is really embarrassing.

I wonder how this will screw up the environment. it's at the bottom of the ocean so the effects could be different. I also wonder how the oil gets released naturally.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised that TH.net hasn't talked about the tabloids that Russia is publishing, but I'll keep this to myself.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
I also wonder how the oil gets released naturally.
Oil wells usually have a higher pressure than the surroundings, once there is a pipe down it will come up by itself. During extraction you also pump down salt water (or other liquid) to keep the pressure high.

I'm kinda surprised that TH.net hasn't talked about the tabloids that Russia is publishing, but I'll keep this to myself.
Perhaps the reason it isn't discussed is because no one has any idea on what it is?

Anyway, some pictures: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/disaster_unfolds_slowly_in_the.html

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
wow! those pictures are awesome!

how is sticking pipes into the ground to get the oil out natural?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
And this is why, children

we don't need oil.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
We in Florida are not happy. Especially us on the Gulf coast, the oil companies here did just get their rights to offshore drilling closer to shore but since this incident with BP; they are going to be actually restricted from more areas then they were before the new bill. (If the situation gets anyworse, they might be kicked from the entire region all together)

I am really annoying with BP because when they convinced everyone that they were going to do Offshore drilling they told us this sort of thing wouldn't happen. Exactly, quote-unquote this issue would not occur, and if a leak did occur offshore it would be quickly contained.

It just doesn't seem like BP really gives a damn and I guess for their sakes and safety it doesn't hit Louisiana's Wetlands dramatically nor does it the Floridian Gulf Coast.

Oil like that is impossible to get out of the beach sand, and can only be taken out in time. Which doesn't seem like much but people don't go to the beach when the sand isn't nice and white like we brag about. Meaning a lost in tourism and upwards costs into the billions of dollars in losses.

My comments if the Oil does hit our Area in the Gulf:
"Well I guess for the Tampa Bay area, I just hope you're not a BP Worker of any kind or any customer in a BP gas station at the time of the news release. Because your safety can not be guaranteed"

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
I feel your pain, Miz. There have been several oil spills here on Norway's west coast, and we're still having trouble with the remaining oil slicks.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Behold!
The solution!

20100514.gif

20100515.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.