Sci/Tech Giant wind-blown ball rolls around and detonates landmines

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score

There are 110 million active landmines strewn across 64 countries around the world, according to the United Nations, leading to thousands of people being killed or maimed every year. Huge stretches of land are danger zones. Clearing those areas is a hazardous and delicate operation that puts people at great risk.

Afghanistan-born designer Massoud Hassani has come up with an unusual minesweeper that uses the wind to propel itself in a search for landmines. The Mine Kafon is made from bamboo and biodegradable plastics. The plastic feet push against the ground, triggering landmines with pressure.

The ball is light enough to get blown around by the wind, allowing people to steer clear of a potential danger zone. A GPS tracker in each one keeps a map of areas that have been cleared. Each ball can potentially detonate several landmines before it is too damaged to continue.

The Mine Kafor was inspired by wind-propelled toys Hassani used to make as a child, including a small rolling object. The balls could be an invaluable tool in clearing mines and making the world a little safer. Sometimes great creations come from simple ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How exactly are you supposed to use these?
Release 1000 of them in the desert and hope they will randomly hit a mine completely by accident?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Wouldn't this only work in wide open spaces with lots of wind? Which are getting rarer nowadays in the first place.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Most of these landmine filled areas are open fields.. So wind wont be a problem.
Also i believe triggering one mine would cause minor chainreactions; taking out several mines in a short amount of time..

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of these landmine filled areas are open fields.. So wind wont be a problem.
Also i believe triggering one mine would cause minor chainreactions; taking out several mines in a short amount of time..
Only if they are close to each other which i doubt.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
if I lived there I would be game. Even if it only gets 1 mine. as long as there are less mines near where I live I am happy.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
well, this could eliminate SOME mines, and thus leave less mines for other (more expensive) methods of mine removal

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Arizona could send prisoners to walk around and try to find them.

Varine

Reaction score
We do. But that could be a compromise with the rest of the government, at least in Maricopa because Sheriff Joey on the loose. We get rid of the landmines in a method that Joe thinks to be the most cost effective. If you don't step on one, you get out alive! Then we start over, with no laws, and build them as necessary. Thus we make our own little country, and not include foreigners or criminals! It'll be fun!

Varine

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me. That border is dangerous, I went down there a little bit ago. Sucked.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry mistake. :)
Still quite a lot of too many mines :(
That isnt so many mines if you compare it to the total of people who probably life in these countries. 64 countries is quite alot of room.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.