Discussion Globlas? No?

Chaos_Knight

Reaction score
I started to think about this thing for some days ago.

When you guys do spells for your own maps, do you use globals, or direct values?
Same for the vJASS. Are you making your spells too complicated? Using methods and structs[What the hell.. :p]?

When i do my spells, i peronally dont use globals.
And i dont complicate my spells.

Thanks

//Chaos_Knight

saw792

Is known to say things. That is all.
Reaction score
When i do my spells, i peronally dont use globals.
And i dont complicate my spells.

The reason you don't use globals is probably because you aren't making complex spells. Once you start coding more complex things global constants are almost essential as far as testing and debugging goes. It is so much easier to modify one value at the top of your code than trawl through ten or fifteen function replacing every instance of a repeated value to make sure it works for all situations.

Pretty much every time I create something complicated I start declaring global constants at the top of the script and commenting them. It's just impossible to understand your code after you've written it if it isn't set out properly/well commented.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
The reason you don't use globals is probably because you aren't making complex spells. Once you start coding more complex things global constants are almost essential as far as testing and debugging goes. It is so much easier to modify one value at the top of your code than trawl through ten or fifteen function replacing every instance of a repeated value to make sure it works for all situations.

Pretty much every time I create something complicated I start declaring global constants at the top of the script and commenting them. It's just impossible to understand your code after you've written it if it isn't set out properly/well commented.

:thup:

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It also more user friendly to use the globals. Especially if your spell has a lot of levels.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
When making and balancing a map, you will end up changing your spells damage and other values, which means that youll have to either edit your constant globals, or search those values from the spell code every single time.

People write those configuration header thingies for a reason. You can of course do it in the hard way if you want. Thats your problem.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Perhaps you anti it currently, but you will know the disadvantages of not declaring them as you code more on map.

Reaction score
Personally I can't make a single script without globals... They're just necessary for everything that will most likely not stay constant throughout your map updates.

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
We use what are called local globals. These are variables declared within trigger scope but not accessible by other triggers.

JASS:

globals
        private constant integer ABILITY_ID = 'A000'
        private constant integer MAX_UNITS = 10
endglobals

That is the idea anyway. By doing this there are no conflicts with handle names.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.