Gods Unleashed

neckface

terrain contest winner! :) dance contest loser. :(
Reaction score
Have you ever gotten bored after winning a game of WCIII, and tormented your peons and peasants in increasingly feindish ways?

Then this may be the game concept for you!
(note: concept--this is an idea thread for a project which may or may not get finished)

This is a primordial idea for a 1v1 map, working title of "Gods Unleashed."

Concept:
Play as a hero "God."
Home base and capturable control points generate "populace."
Populace is a tiny, uncontrollable peasant unit that represents your following and can be persuaded to do your bidding.

Objective:
Either generate the most populace or destroy your enemy God's main Temple at his home base area. (I haven't decided yet.)

Gameplay:
This will be a cheeky and lighthearted game played on a 96x96 map.
As a gigantic, lumbering, titanic Diety, your main duties will be killing massive amounts of your enemy's populace in creative and fun ways, while avoiding killing massive amounts of your own populace in the process!

Key points:
-Choose 1 God to play from among 6 unique deities, either good or evil, and rampage against the hapless people!

-Environment is scaled to reflect that the God is huge: trees, structures, and units are scaled appropriately to make you seem "big." When you walk the ground shakes, and you fell any trees in your path.

-Stepping on any populace (yours or your opponents) will kill them. Its hard being God... vent frustration by smushing people Godzilla-style!

-Gods can also attack ground, wreaking pulpy swaths of Divine Vengeance upon the enemy.

-Populace are periodically spawned in the area of your home base Temple, and at any control points under your command.

-Spawned populace behaves like critters, they just mill about their mundane lives and flee from attack. They are unselectable. To kill enemy populace (or your own, if you feel like it), you must attack ground or use abilities.

-You have two mana-free abilities which give orders to direct your people: "Rally the Populace" which has nearby populace attack-move to your position, or "Crusade the Populace" which has your entire populace attack-move to the enemy base (long cooldown).

-Some of the spawned populace will be workers. They will randomly build structures and towers to defend your home base area from the other Diety and his populace.

-Once you reach a certain level of populace, upgrades become available at your main temple.

-Three capturable and re-capturable control points (be they villages, monoliths, or something tbd), which increase the spawn rate of your populace.

-Each God gets 3 or 4 unique and fun abilities to wreak havoc upon Populace or enemy Gods.

Epilogue
As I said, this is a spare-time kinda back of my mind project that I dreamed up one day at work. I think it could be a fun and silly game if it gets completed.

Sound interesting? Let me know if you have any ideas, or, if you are really stoked, would like to help with the coding!

Feedback and encouragement are appreciated, and if folks are interested, I'll start the project in earnest!

Thanks for reading.

~neckface

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think thats an incredible idea. Maybe you could add more players? 1 v 1 maps aren't good for b.net (although i prefer them :p)

I'll gladly Beta test if you need somebody to :)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Indeed, good idea!
For objective, you can do both. Have Player 1 red vote a the objective (Most Populace, or Destroy Temple)

and for players... you can make it like a tournament
Player 1 vs 2
Player 3 vs 4
Player 5 vs 6
so on...
Winner of the first team challenge the second team, winner of the second round challenge the third team, etc. :p

neckface

Reaction score
hey, glad to hear the feedback. i've been putting in a little work on it... so far i have in place systems to crush trees and peons wherever you step... its fun! i hope i can make a successful game out of it! ;)

ill put a bit of work into it over the next few weeks, and come back and update this thread with a gameplay demo map.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
You can make the god's walk animation slow. Like the titans if you played Age of Mythology :p

R

Ricky

Wow

Hi~Ricky

Wow! Great idea. I do hope that you get it finished :)

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
I like the title. some gods and some ideas.

Titan : earth : can cause earthquakes and landslides.

Posiden : water : most powerful around bodies of water. can cause cyclones, and tidal waves.

Zeus : electric/holy : can heal populace, can throw lightning from hands, can cause thunder storms.

Hades : fire : can strike cracks in the ground which emit fire and cause area of populace to burn. Feet on fire possibly and cause fire trail where walking.

Sedusa : snake/water : has stone-gaze attack that turns area of populace to stone.

Ares : war : populace are more powerful, brute, tribal, warriors. Enjoy the heat of battle.

If you have tons of units on the map scaled down real small all on the screen at once I think it would cause lag.

Somatic

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sedusa : snake/water : has stone-gaze attack that turns area of populace to stone.

You mean Medusa =p

Nice idea, it will really give people the chance to play "God"

neckface

Reaction score
i guess this was inspired by
Black and White. the game that originated the concept of "god games".

You're only 1/4 right. If you look at your gaming history, the first "god game" was Populous, elements of which Im borrowing from for the gameplay here.

I like the title. some gods and some ideas.
Titan ...Posiden ... Zeus ...Hades ...Sedusa... Ares ...

Good ideas and all, but, this map is going to be a humor map, with tongue-in-cheek deities and goofy abilites. Think more along the lines of raining fire, brimstone, and sheep on your populace, and lobbing holy hand grenades at enemy gods and such. If I do a second version (lol if I ever finish this one) I would consider a serious map with appropraite fantasy or ancient dieties and abilities.

If you have tons of units on the map scaled down real small all on the screen at once I think it would cause lag.

Yes this has been happening, and unfortunately this could be a game-breaking flaw! For examples, testing the map with 200-300 populace, a moderate sprinkling of destructibles, and 2 heroes causes lag, which I am 99% sure is not from my triggers. Any ideas? I figured this would be unsolvable, so I stopped working on this and went back to my campaign. Can anyone help with this problem?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.