Good sound effect tutorials?

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could find good sound effect tutorials? I want to learn how to make sound effects for my game. +rep for links ;)

If you need anymore info let me know

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Do you really sant to make them yourself or can you just not find any proper sites to download good sample fx? I find Flashkit.com good, but I do not know of any tutorials. Theres got to be some out there though.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Most sites I find don't allow their sound effects to be used for commercial purposes. They are also rather poor quality; they sound like something from movies in the early 1900's

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If you're not making monetary gains it isn't technically 'commercial' you just need to give credit to the website or creator.

Get yourself a microphone and learn how to make noises?

swe_suffer

Reaction score
And get an understanding for diffrent sound synthesis technics. A "bubble laser" fx for example is made with selfoscilating filters. And still, even if you don't want to make sci-fi fx, synthesizers (or more accurate - samplers) are great to transform recordings and give them the right edge.

And what type of game are you trying to crate effects for?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Just close your eyes, imagine a gun, and open them yelling BANG and it'll be great.

Just find a video and dissect it, or I'm sure there are gun sounds placed in maps and whatnot around, take them out of BF2 or something....

swe_suffer

Reaction score
@Varine
Could be done if you are feeling rouge, but the Weege seem to be wanting to be able to release it commercialy, and then it's not realy a great idea. That is unless you fancy the idea of a bunch of lawyers trying to sue you on a heck lot'a money... :p

Find a gunsound and put it in a waveeditor, try to see the characteristics of the sound is built up. Quick attack? Long reverberation tail? Then try to recreate. Microphones are always great, try recording things coliding with eachother, then maybe process it by distorting it? The list goes on..

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Try installing the Demo of FLStudio... It comes with an excellent library of sound FX..

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Why don't you try actually recording firing sounds. Do you have anyway of going to a shooting range and recoding in there?

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
I do not know of any shooting ranges near my position in California, San Jose... Well, that would actually be SAFE to go to :p.

BTW, whats cheap and good at recording?

swe_suffer

Reaction score
If sfx is your deal, a handheld device is somewhat awesum. :)
It allows you to be able to record anytime you feel you've got an idea, wich can be worth a great deal when you've got an idea. It's not fun if you are away from home, and if you are there, must fire up your computer and recording software.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.