Sci/Tech Google+ Hits 10 Million Users: Should Facebook Freak Out?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
In just two weeks, Google+ has reached the 10 million user mark. For a tech company so used to losing the social media game, this could be its moment. Those numbers look like peanuts compared to Facebook's 750 million users, many of whom check in every day. But the site is expected to double in size by this weekend and such fast growth won't go unnoticed by Zuck & Co.

The numbers aren't official yet. Google+ user Paul Allen put together the algorithm, which looks for last names on Google+ and compares them with U.S. Census data on the popularity of surnames. He claims his analysis is 99 percent accurate.

Google has yet to comment on the figures. The service is certainly growing--this isn't Google Wave Part Deux. But the perceived growth rate isn't as organic at it seems. Initially Google+ went out to select techies, and not all of them had the ability to invite their friends. Now, the invite button abounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I have like 10 people on my Google+ list of people I know. Part of this is because I don't have tons of my friends' emails or contacts in my Google Contacts. I think this is partially because I don't have an android phone.

I think Google+ is lacking in the friend-adding department, at least a bit.

sqrage

Reaction score
I got 14 people. I think it's cuz barely anyone I know is on it yet.. lol

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I have an account. I don't do anything with it.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I got 14 people. I think it's cuz barely anyone I know is on it yet.. lol

Same, but I have quite a few people already.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have an account. I don't do anything with it.

Not me, I actively check and post/comment on stuff all day. I have 20+ friends now, so stuff is actively being posted.

ReVolver

Reaction score
My friend just invited me, I have so far 10 friends. Seems to look better than Facebook, layout-wise.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Most of my real life friends haven't heard of it... X_x (I live in eastern europe, you know, they make fun of it in the euro trip, just as a refrance ^_^ ) Regardless, I prefer it over facebook already, despite having few friends.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I like the picasa face recognition/sorting a lot more then FB tagging - and it actually gives you the option to upload the fullsize image - so if they manage to integrate that then they are the clear winner for me

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
There's no wonder why Google+ hit 10 Million users really!

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Google will win. Just sayin'

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.