Sci/Tech Google's self-guided car could drive the next wave of unemployment

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see the next hobby of wannabe haXX0r script kiddies in the near future.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Yeah ^

"Heart attack/stroke/falling asleep/drunk" In the Middle of the Highway. Just Saying
Your self-driving car hit another self driving car. Who's going to pay? Oh, you don't even have a license. LOL Hmm what if a collision is due to a bug in software? It might even hit a "Human etc.." Just because of a Bug? Just saying again.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Your self-driving car hit another self driving car. Who's going to pay? Oh, you don't even have a license. LOL Hmm what if a collision is due to a bug in software? It might even hit a "Human etc.." Just because of a Bug? Just saying again.
Let's pretend everyone transitions into self-driving cars and that there are now 1000 deaths due to driving accidents every year. Is this a bad thing?

Of course it's bad. People died. The question is if it's better than what we currently have. Would you rather have 33000 deaths(This is for the U.S only in 2009. With the rest of the world combined there's a lot more) due to human drivers or 1000 due to self-driving cars.

Now, there's been one accident so far where a self-driving car was involved(which is talked about in the article FireCat linked) but it was when it was in manual mode(the human was controlling it). The article is very biased and stupid, imo.

If this get wide spread, I think it's going to result in less than 1000 deaths a year. If there are bugs, they'll get fixed. If people die due to these bugs, it's a tragedy of course but I'd rather have those people die to bugs than 100 times more people dying because of human error. Code improves, humans in general don't(sure individuals get better but old people die and young people get driver's license. The general skill level stays the same).

On the argument about hardware, I don't know why this is a problem and airplanes are not. You can bet there's a ton of sensors on an airplane that are needed for flight. Should airplanes be disregarded as a way to travel because the sensors might fail which might cause a crash?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
[...]

On the argument about hardware, I don't know why this is a problem and airplanes are not. You can bet there's a ton of sensors on an airplane that are needed for flight. Should airplanes be disregarded as a way to travel because the sensors might fail which might cause a crash?
Airplanes are pretty expensive and there are dozens of engineers checking them everyday (hopefully).
Your car is not supposed to transport hundreds of people, just you, maybe family and friends.
Its just you who is paying the price, not hundreds of people paying for each flight.
And you are lazy. You dont want to inspect the sh*t out of your car before and after each drive.
People do this with planes, they need constant safety checks.

Siretu

Reaction score
I agree, but I think (I'm no expert) that there are many more sensors on a plane. Hopefully, they'll work out a solution where the electronics checks the hardware for faults and then a car mechanic can take a closer look during your regular check ups.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
First of all. I don't think the article is stupid at all
Updated 3:51 p.m. PST: Google would only give me a further one-line statement. A spokesman
said: "The car was in manual mode at the time. We have confirmed it in our logs." The spokesman however, has not been willing to explain what actually happened.

However, an NBC Bay Area report featured a woman called Tiffany Winkelman, who claimed that this was a five-car accident and that hers was the third car to be hit. It allegedly involved three Priuses and two Honda Accords, with the self-driving Prius being the one that caused the shunt.
Does Google have something to hide? Why not tell the truth? No wonder there's some doubt, If they can't even say what truly happened.

Well, maybe in 20-30 years it could be considered pretty safe. But not now. And of course, It would be great if it does reduce the fatal accidents. But people still need to have some level of control over the cars. The same for airplanes.
You see, the airplanes don't fly away alone"without pilots" No matter what!
Btw: bugs, can't be fixed when you already on the road.

Siretu

Reaction score
They are not hiding what's happening. The spokesman said everything he could. He's a spokesman and they're investigating the issue he's not supposed to tell people what he thinks happened, he's supposed to release a statement which he did.

Of course there's an investigation and if they lied about it'll get known and they'll get more shit for it than if they had been open about it. Why would they risk it?

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Also, I'm pretty sure the blue screen error isn't necessarily Windows' fault..
Other OSs have their versions of the "blue screen of death"; just not necessarily blue.

The entertainment system on a UA flight I was on kept crashing; it was running on a Linux. Then again, the system must've been really badly scripted (not gonna' say coded) because every time it rebooted, it would show every single damn warning and error in the source; after which it displayed initialization errors like missing fonts and audio.

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
Humans have far more bugs than well-built code.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
We also got cool, unrestricted self driving car on self driving car violence. These cars are unmanned and unlicensed, in a head on collision to the max!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
$300k per car when you only make 300 sounds about right.. $30k sounds a lot better when you make 10k cars, and less as you make more
[...]
I dont think they will be able to cut the cost by 90+%.
Not within the next few years.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
I ride a motor bike and am so scared of this concept... I hope it sees motorbikers more than normal drivers do. It's bad enough as it is...

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I ride a motor bike and am so scared of this concept... I hope it sees motorbikers more than normal drivers do. It's bad enough as it is...

I've been in like four accidents with motorcyclists and every one was their fault.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.