Sci/Tech Google's self-guided car could drive the next wave of unemployment

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
What is it with this kind of attitude shit? This is why nothing is getting done....

We do not have concrete evidence that we are capable of making it work. We have potential, but that's not 100%.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
And so it won't happen, according to the many people like you who seem to have just forgone the concept of rapid advancement of technology despite what is usually a pretty limited sphere or knowledge of the topic, which subsequently influences many others to follow paths of differing career pursuits, leading to the probably imminent decline in technological advancement.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I've been following the development of self-guided cars for quite some time now and if I'd have to guess, I'd say the car would stop and wait. If the kid doesn't move for a long time, it'll try to find a new path.

If there's absolutely no way out, then it would just wait. How could a human driver handle that better?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Maybe, the kid doesn't stand still next second? The kid could Just "run across the street" without checking for oncoming vehicles. Hmmm Well, at least a driver does know that.. So can a self-guided car predict that?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe, the kid doesn't stand still next second? The kid could Just "run across the street" without checking for oncoming vehicles. Hmmm Well, at least a driver does know that.. So can a self-guided car predict that?
How would a driver know that a kid is suddenly going to cross the street? Do you know how many people get injured each day because the drivers do not pay enough attention at things like this? Whether its a self-guided car or whether its controlled by a human, it makes little difference if you just start running across the street into the traffic.

FireCat

Reaction score
How would a driver know that a kid is suddenly going to cross the street? Do you know how many people get injured each day because the drivers do not pay enough attention at things like this? Whether its a self-guided car or whether its controlled by a human, it makes little difference if you just start running across the street into the traffic.
If you see a children near the road, you should slow down and be prepared to stop
It's not hard to do that! Sure If someone "ignore such thing" no wonder that accidents will happen.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
If you see a children near the road, you should slow down and be prepared to stop
It's not hard to do that! Sure If someone "ignore such thing" no wonder that accidents will happen.
The self guided car can see children just as well as humans can. Whether they slow down or not is up to the programmers to decide. However, they can not foresee the actions the child might do any worse then actual people can, its unpredictable for the driver, if something happens it would most likely have happened to a human driver as well.

FireCat

Reaction score
The self guided car can see children just as well as humans can. Whether they slow down or not is up to the programmers to decide. However, they can not foresee the actions the child might do any worse then actual people can
I somewhat agree,. But well, let's Just wait and see what will happen in the future. ;)
And then we'll see what happens, for real. Well, If you trust such a car then go ahead drive it or eh maybe not hmm

Varine

Reaction score

It is when I'm going 50 and they run out no where near the crosswalk, like people usually do here in Phoenix. It's not my responsibility to watch them, even in crosswalks unless I'm turning I have the right of way on green lights.

And I don't have to drive this car, that's the point. I would have absolutely no problem getting in one of these vehicles.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
It is when I'm going 50 and they run out no where near the crosswalk, like people usually do here in Phoenix. It's not my responsibility to watch them, even in crosswalks unless I'm turning I have the right of way on green lights.
I dunno about AZ, but here in VA, pedestrians always have the right of way, crosswalk or not.

Also, you almost get the award for best post with, "All your lanes are belong to us," but Accname came back and stole it with, "FireCat said:
[...]
Hmm Just Imagine a child "suddenly" runs into the road?​
'I like the sound of that, tell me more.'"

Both of 'em lunched me out, tho.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno about AZ, but here in VA, pedestrians always have the right of way, crosswalk or not.

Also, you almost get the award for best post with, "All your lanes are belong to us," but Accname came back and stole it with, "FireCat said:
[...]​
Hmm Just Imagine a child "suddenly" runs into the road?​
'I like the sound of that, tell me more.'"

Both of 'em lunched me out, tho.
We could have a monthly competition.

Varine

Reaction score

Like every fucking road is a highway here dude, or else it's some side street that you usually have no reason to go down unless you want to get lost or go into some ghetto thing. Most of them are two or three lanes each direction plus the suicide lane; if it's not you probably don't need to be on it unless you have some destination that happens to be there, which isn't that often really unless you live there.

You do not just walk out into the street in traffic here because you're too lazy to go down and wait for the crosswalk. If my light's green you better move. I got places to go and things to do and people to see, and we're not gonna use up ALL the green light on you. And if it's raining? You shouldn't be anywhere the streets unless you want to dodge every other car playing Tokyo Drift trying to get home really fast. Oh and if there's a car from New Mexico, get the hell away from it at all costs.

FireCat

Reaction score
If my light's green you better move. I got places to go and things to do and people to see, and we're not gonna use up ALL the green light on you
Holy crap. there's no wonder why accident happen. Just saying.

Varine

Reaction score
Pretty sure if you're walking around unsupervised near the streets you should have the sense to realize that a car wins every game of chicken.

FireCat

Reaction score
Pretty sure if you're walking around unsupervised near the streets you should have the sense to realize that a car wins every game of chicken.
But a chicken. don't always understand that.
Well, you can't blame them.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Update 10 years later - still not a thing :) As of now too, 83K views on this thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.