Minigame Gore Rider -- Ice Skating Minigame

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Gore Rider

Winter is here, and Ice has come once again to bring Azeroth's inhabitants together for some ice skating fun!
Maybe you bump into someone you know...

attachment.php

Gameplay:
The gameplay has very much to do with bumping into someone. You choose your ice skater and enter an arena located at a frozen lake. On the ice you can get up in extremely high speeds and travel the map in moments. If you collide with other units, you'll deal damage to them depending on your mass and speed. The challenge is actually hitting someone at high speeds while not being hit yourself.​

attachment.php

Of course, off the ice it helps to be able to fight with normal attacks as well.

Features:
  • 7 different ice skaters, each with their strengths and weaknesses
  • Fast paced action
  • Lots of gore
  • Advanced sliding and knockback physics
  • 2D collision detection similar to when playing billiards
  • Nothing that makes you better over time like items/experience/etc
  • Simple AI for testing purposes
attachment.php

Typo in Doom Guard's tooltip: should read "Grip: 5000/s/s"

attachment.php

Collision screen shots

attachment.php

Corpses have a tendency to slide up on the lake shore

Thanks to the following people for creating these excellent tools used in this map:
  • Vexorian - Jass NewGen Pack, JassHelper, Tables, CSSafety
  • PipeDream - Grimore
  • SFilip - TESH
  • Cohadar - PUI, TT

Edit history:
  • 041108:
    Removed custom forces. Untested on b.net, but should be playable as long as there are no desync issues.​
  • 061108:
    Improved display of victory conditions on the leaderboard.
    Removed forced camera changes and fade in/outs while watching replays.​
  • 061108.2:
    Removed some local player code.​
  • 161108.8:
    First working B.Net tested version
    Changed auto-select code​

Attachments

• Ice2.jpg
    Ice2.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 526
  • Skaters.jpg
    Skaters.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 452
  • Collision.jpg
    Collision.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 491
  • Corpses.jpg
    Corpses.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 451
  • Melee.jpg
    Melee.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 464
  • GoreRider 161108.8(p).w3x
    155.7 KB · Views: 218

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
COOL GAME! The blood is AWESOME >:)
I really like how you made the physics system, its quite good. The effects are generally good but I think the effect that appears on your unit's feet when they try to stop are no very good. They look green, maybe use the frost wrym attack projectile (they should look nice when used in this case).
However, the bombadier seems very powerful. It has high damage and ranged attack. I haven't tried the ranger so no comment about her.
I like the knight, his speed is crazy XD. But his grip kinda sucks, but he pawns if he manages to hit when he's speed is high, he can kill with 1 hit!
Just one thing. The unit doesn't accelerate by itself but rather only when you order it to move. But other than that, not many bugs.
A suggestion, give each unit a special, it should have long cooldown but powerful.
Knight
Joust- The knight increases it speed to the maximum (dunno, 5000? :p) and charges forward. The knight gains slightly increased size when jousting but when he charges into something he would die instantly.
Berserker
Axe Barrage- The berserker starts attacking like a madman and damages anything near it (should be around 100 size or something). Can be used when sliding.
Bombadier
Bombing Run- Attaches a bomb on you. After a few seconds or when you collide/die, the bomb explodes and deal lots of damage to a large area (maybe 400 :p), also kills you.
EDIT: I just found out that you can't play this game online because all players are on the same team, please fix that :)
Thats all.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Great, feedback :)

Thanks for the positive comments.

(...)I think the effect that appears on your unit's feet when they try to stop are no very good. They look green, maybe use the frost wrym attack projectile (they should look nice when used in this case).
I make the models in 3ds max, so I could have any color, shape and size really. I'll try to work on it and see if I can come up with something better. I can try to use the colors from the Frost Wyrm attack

However, the bombadier seems very powerful. It has high damage and ranged attack.
I admit, he can be powerful if used right. However, his attack takes time to hit, so you can't always rely on it unless you're very close. In which case you may even hit yourself and lose a kill. If you're able to I'd be interested in looking at replays of the overpowered bombardier in action.

In fact, I'd like to see replays in general (mostly from b.net when I make a working version for b.net) since there isn't any real balance in the game yet. Every stat is just set to some approximates to give the units the feel i was looking for in them.

I like the knight, his speed is crazy XD. But his grip kinda sucks, but he pawns if he manages to hit when he's speed is high, he can kill with 1 hit!
He's crazy alright. The ghoul is almost as fast as him with very good grip as well, so maybe you like him too. His mass is low though, so he need more speed to deal any real damage. The knight has high mass, which is the reason I had to give him low grip. Could be too low though. Can't tell for sure until it's been played on b.net by more people.

Just one thing. The unit doesn't accelerate by itself but rather only when you order it to move. But other than that, not many bugs.
I don't think that's a bug. Units accelerate by movement, not orders, but it may not always seem that way. The reason for that is because you order a unit to go to a location, not a direction. With the high speeds on the ice, a unit will quickly reach or pass it's destination and then slow down or change direction to get back to the location it was ordered to move.

I've been toying with the idea to change move orders to directions instead of points, but I am not sure whether I am going to do it or not. For now you'll just have to click move like crazy to update the location to move to.

A suggestion, give each unit a special, it should have long cooldown but powerful.
I'll think about it if I choose to expand the game later.

EDIT: I just found out that you can't play this game online because all players are on the same team, please fix that :)
Thats all.
Doh... I never tried it online. I'll fix that right away.

Edit: Uploaded new version without custom forces. Should be playable on b.net now

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
Hey! Same thing happened to me!
I thought it was just the internet connection but now I believe there must be something wrong with the choosing trigger. Not sure what can make people disconnect.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
hmm... That's a problem :p

I'm hoping I can setup my computer to host in the weekend. If I can figure out the problem before that, I'll post a new map of course.

Thanks for testing

Edit: I removed some local player code in the choosing trigger. Hopefully that's what's caused the desync. New map uploaded

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I'm finally able to host games on b.net now. The map works without any desync problems. Edit: apparently this was incorrect.

However, I'll have to change the text commands used by the map since /commands are used by b.net exclusively.

Within the weekend I will upload a new version with these changes, along with some cosmetic changes to make the map more intuitive.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
New version 161108.8 uploaded.
Tested on B.Net and has no desync issues like the previous releases.

Please try it out and let me know what you think

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
I can host in Battle Net, I will try to test host your game tomorrow, or the day after, :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.