Gothic RPG

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I'm making a new Hero Defence/RPG. Up to four players, yourself included, defend a camp from waves of creatures at night; from vampires, werewolves, demons/ghosts, and undead/zombies.

I've always been intrigued by these creatures, and haven't seen many Wc3 Maps with them. I loved Dark Deeds and Castlevania.
So I did some googling and came up with this:
Gothic, Van Helsing RPG

After a while, I now have some time and motivation to sort of make it.
I understand it will take a long time and that I've started and left many projects unfinished, but oh well, he's another one.
I'll first start with the basics, and create the vampires. I plan to add areas for the heroes to venture out and eventually bring the creatures to extinction! Or possibly join them instead...

What I plan to do. Ideas from thread included, Suggestions welcomed:

Basic Gameplay:
You do not pick a class to start off with. You start in a small camp that every night, is attacked by creatures of the dark; including werewolves, vampires, zombies, and spirits.
During the day you can prepare the town for attack by lighting torches (light harms certain creatures), repairing gates and fences, and recuperating your army.

You start with a sword (regular melee attack) and a Crossbow (inventory item, click and shoot.) You may restock your arrows with regular or attributes ones.
Your blade also has certain durability, which you will need to repair occasionally.

Defending the camp:
While the waves of creatures (Sometimes Vampires, sometimes werewolves for example) will not be too strong, with the exception of some boss waves, it is important to keep an eye on the camp. If the Priest (which heals and revives) is killed, you'll have to wait a certain number of days for him to return. Likewise with the Armor/Weapon seller, and Potion/Wards seller. If all the units in the camp are killed, then the creatures will accumulate there.

Quests:
The NPC at camp will give certain quests. From searching for certain items, killing certain creatures, to delivering things and other miscellaneous quests.
Rewards can be upgraded troops, Ability Experience, weapons/armors, new areas, units to fight along your side (for you to control) etc.
Side quests will include many little easter eggs that give you items and bonuses.

RPG-Element:
So far it sounds more of a Hero Defense doesn't it? Well if you upgrade well, the camp should be able to hold off by itself without needing heroes around. So heroes are free to venture the forests and areas and fight creatures for treasure and stuff. There will be plenty to explore, and things will be random every game.

Join the dark side?:
Players will eventually be given choices to join the creatures, or keep fighting for good.
Note: Will probably be left to last. Perhaps instead of joining the dark side, gain control of a few units or something like that.

Attack and Defense Types:
Players:
Attack Types: Weapons and spells/abilities will have one of the following attributes:
Holy - Good against Unholy Defense types. Weak against Ethereal Defense.
Silver/Enchanted - Good against Beast Defense.
Magic - Good against Ethereal Defense. Weak against unholy Defense.
Normal - Very weak to Ethereal.

Defense Types: Players will have one of the following defense types.
Holy - Resistant against Unholy Attacks. Weak against Ethereal Attacks.
Magic - Resistant against Ethereal attacks. Weak against Unholy Attacks.
Normal - Weak against Beast Attacks.

Creatures:
Attack types:
Unholy - Good against Magic Defense. Weak against Holy Defense.
Ethereal - Good against Holy Defense. Weak against Magic Defense.
Beast - Good against Normal Defense. Weak against Magic defense.

Defense Types:
Unholy - Resistant against Magic Attacks. Weak against Holy Attacks.
Ethereal - Resistant against Holy Attacks. Weak against Magic Attacks.
Beast - Resistant Normal Attacks. Weak against Silver/Enchanted Attacks.

Abilities and Spells:

Heroes do not begin with set abilities nor spells. Instead they gain certain types of Abilities/Spells by what they kill. Sort of a Mastery.
For instance, Killing vampires will grant abilities that specialize in Vampires, like Holy Strike (for example).
Abilities will not level along with the hero, instead each ability has its own experience. For example:
Holy strike, level 1 has 200 experience. Use it on a vampire and it'll gain 25 experience. Kill a vampire with it and gain 30. Use it on anything else and it'll gain 20. Once it reaches 200 experience, it'll reach level 2 Holy Strike, with higher dmg/heal, etc. And a high Experience needed for level up.

Upgrades:

Players will be able to upgrade their camp through various ways. From buying upgrades directly, to doing certain quests. Not only will the units be upgraded, but so can the fences, watch towers, and gates be upgraded. Along with giving units abilities.

Difficulty:
Default difficulty will depend on the number of players. Will change the amount of creatures per wave and through out the map and/or the attack/defense/life of creatures. (Depends what results testing provides)

Appearance/Models/Skins:
I plan on eventually adding a few skins and models. Not too many. I do want however is possibly add an equipment system. Not much of a system, but so players can see their armor and weapons on their hero. This is the least of priorities and will be done last.

Screenshots:
camp001y.jpg

The Camp. See the fountain in the middle? It gives a small Health Regeneration bonus to all troops and heroes. If the creatures destroy it, then it'll turn to the broken fountain (to its left) and the bonus will be gone. Someone will have to repair it.

Progress:
Quests
Kill Vampires - [ ]
Waves
-Vampires - [ ]
Weak [ ]
Medium [ ]
Strong [ ]
Boss waves
-Werewolves, Spirits/Demons, and Zombies will come later.
Spells/Abilities [ ]
Items
Weapons
Swords/Blunt [ ]
Bows/Guns [ ]
Enchanted Weapons [ ]
Armors [ ]
Potions [ ]
Visuals/Effects [ ] (Will probably be left for around last.)

And yes, the map will be unprotected.

I Need your suggestions:
Make Silver/Normal the same Attack type?
What happens when Camp is overrun by creatures?

rexpim

Reaction score
What happens when Camp is overrun by creatures?
Give a ability to to kill the creatures in range (big range) of the fountain like a aoe (give a BIG cd, or cd+gold cost), if the fountain (give fountain low hp so mobs can kill it easly) is dead = no aoe.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I understand it will take a long time and that I've started and left many projects unfinished, but oh well, he's another one.
This line bothers me :p

Sounds alright though, depending on how the exploring part of the map is.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
I like the concept A LOT. I also really like the idea of individual abilities gaining levels.

I'm sure the town isn't finished, but from the screenshot it looks really bland.

This makes me want to watch Underworld. :p

1337 post FTW. :D

esb

Reaction score
Give a ability to to kill the creatures in range (big range) of the fountain like a aoe (give a BIG cd, or cd+gold cost), if the fountain (give fountain low hp so mobs can kill it easly) is dead = no aoe.
That's a fountain ability suggestion xD
I mean more of a consequence to the players. Assuming the fountain is destroyed, so are the units and NPCs. Could be gg for players at that point if they can't kill the wave of creatures as they mass.

This line bothers me

Sounds alright though, depending on how the exploring part of the map is.
Yes that part of me has always bothered me, but I'd really like to finish this one. What I've learned is to start with small pieces, then expand. Instead of trying to implement everything at once.

I like the concept A LOT. I also really like the idea of individual abilities gaining levels.

I'm sure the town isn't finished, but from the screenshot it looks really bland.
Thank you for your support. :)
The town isn't finished, but pretty much there. I'm not much of a terrain guy, and for now, visuals aren't my priority (but will be eventually, no doubt.)
Any suggestions?

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
The town isn't finished, but pretty much there. I'm not much of a terrain guy, and for now, visuals aren't my priority (but will be eventually, no doubt.)
Any suggestions?

- Make it smaller, more dense. This will both make it look more realistic, and also give you a lot more extra terrain to work with outside the town.
- Add more doodads, trees and destructibles.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
A thing that keeps my motivation high is progress bars.
Seeing the %'s go up with each thing you do makes, at least me, feel good about the progress I'm making.
It also lets people who are watching the project see at a glance how it's coming along.
As long as you keep them updated :p

Overall, it sounds like a cool project, has some nice ideas.
The ability system would be cool, if you can fully implement it.
Joining the dark side might be, eh.
If someone gets all the loot or something then just turn against everyone, games over.

Will there be somewhat 'classes'?
Like, someone can kill specific things to get the ability they want.
I'm thinking more of like support roles, because then they could be the ones who buy the upgrades, etc.
While the DPS can focus on their items.

esb

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably do sort of a checklist instead though. Figuring out the percents, I always found something hard to do for maps xD

I'm also thinking about joining the Dark side. Might not do it, or at least not like that.
There will be specific quests and NPCs and creatures that give specific abilities; and requirements will be shown in game.
There will be creature given spells, which are basically resistance and advantages against certain creatures. And there will also be Generic Abilities available through NPCs and their quests. Such as general types like healing, tanking, support, damage, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.