UK News Government drug adviser David Nutt sacked

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Professor David Nutt, the government's chief drug adviser, has been sacked a day after claiming that ecstasy and LSD were less dangerous than alcohol.

Nutt incurred the wrath of the government when he claimed in a paper that alcohol and tobacco were more harmful than many illegal drugs, including LSD, ecstasy and cannabis.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "The home secretary has asked Professor Nutt to resign as chair of the ACMD [Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs].

"In a letter he [Alan Johnson] expressed surprise and disappointment over Professor Nutt's comments which damage efforts to give the public clear messages about the dangers of drugs.

"We remain determined to crack down on all illegal substances and minimise their harm to health and society as a whole."

Nutt had criticised politicians for "distorting" and "devaluing" the research evidence in the debate over illicit drugs.

Last edited:

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The only reason people are tricked into thinking that alcohol and tobacco aren't that harmful is because the tobacco and the alcohol company pay to make those anti-drug ads and pay for anti-drug programs in school to teach kids about those illegal drugs, so they can keep the money they make off their products. Most of the anti-tobacco and anti-alcohol programs are usually donated funds or minor funds from the government.

Pretty smart I think.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
The only reason people are tricked into thinking that alcohol and tobacco aren't that harmful is because the tobacco and the alcohol company pay to make those anti-drug ads and pay for anti-drug programs in school to teach kids about those illegal drugs, so they can keep the money they make off their products. Most of the anti-tobacco and anti-alcohol programs are usually donated funds or minor funds from the government.

Pretty smart I think.

But still, more harmful than ecstacy?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score

That is what the research shows. At least what little they have done. Most of the old drug research had to be thrown out as it was totally incorrect.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
That is what the research shows. At least what little they have done. Most of the old drug research had to be thrown out as it was totally incorrect.
I don't really think that this research is new or small, I have a popular science magazine from 2006 that have the exact same "top 5" as cited in that article (well, it's actually a top 20 but they only mention 5 in the article...). I've only skimmed the paper but it seems like it's not the paper that comes to the conclusion about the individual ranking of drugs. Instead it seems more focused on how hard it is to use scientific evidence in the legal process, how ironic :p

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
One thing that bugs me about that is that they compare tobacco to extacy and alcohol.

Tobacco got this:
The nicotine when smoking one cigarett at once gives a minor relief due to the neuralnetwork in the body get's "damped".
In high doses it kills you, but what does not these days? Even milk can kill in high enought doses, really, really high tho but it still proves the point.
And it can cause cancer, yeah, but so does fried food, cans, led, carfumes, oranges(yes, it is true), honestly, everything causes cancer, it is only a question of how quick.

Extacy does to my understanding:
It can cause hallucinations, there already it is worse than the tobacco.
Extacy legalization would bring excuses such as: "Man, I did not mean to kill him, I thought he was a rabid clown, it was the E".

Alcohol does this:
It increases a persons confidence or "fades the judgement" if I may say so, thus making people do things easier than they normally would do. Say a person is thinking about killing his wife, he would probably do it sooner or later, but if he get's drunk he might get confident or stupid enough to do so immediately.

Thus actually making smoking cigarettes less dangerous than the other things. When bringing up this I think that he missed the part of how the different things affect our behavior as supposed to the side effects(such as cancer).

Of topic:
Is it anyone else than me that think there is some irony to his name?:nuts:

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
One thing that bugs me about that is that they compare tobacco to extacy and alcohol.

Tobacco got this:
The nicotine when smoking one cigarett at once gives a minor relief due to the neuralnetwork in the body get's "damped".
In high doses it kills you, but what does not these days? Even milk can kill in high enought doses, really, really high tho but it still proves the point.
And it can cause cancer, yeah, but so does fried food, cans, led, carfumes, oranges(yes, it is true), honestly, everything causes cancer, it is only a question of how quick.

Except tobacco is harmful no matter how little you have. And it isn't a question of how quickly something causes cancer, rather how likely something is to cause cancer.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Legalize all drugs, and regulate them. It won't work for a bit but then it will. It worked when we illegalized them.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Legalize all drugs, and regulate them. It won't work for a bit but then it will. It worked when we illegalized them.

This.

I don't like drugs. I don't use them, and I never will.
But the Governments needs to pull the stick out it's ass that makes them think that drugs are bad. Yeah, sometimes they are, but they can legalize them.
People'll get high, and the Government will get paid. Everyones happy.

Not to mention that drug dealers would be out of business.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
My brother likes to call that "teabagging". Anyone who's play Halo 3 knows what this is.

And yes, he's done it to people before. Luckily I'm a light sleeper.

Reaction score

The majority of people who do ecstasy do not have problems.

Though, as with any mild altering drug it can bring out conditions that you did not know you had.

The only MDMA related deaths are from dehydration, not from overdosing.

It can cause hallucinations, there already it is worse than the tobacco.
Extacy legalization would bring excuses such as: "Man, I did not mean to kill him, I thought he was a rabid clown, it was the E".

Hardly.. MDMA does not cause hallucinations. This is how MDMA feels;

It's like your perfectly normal, not vision alterations (except for eye vibrations) and you feel like you can connect with everyone. It feels like orgasmic for 2+ hours and your at peace with everyone. Every problem, fear, anxiety you have is now gone and you can finally relax and enjoy life.

The problem lies within buying from dealers you do not know, and the pill gets pressed will hallucinogenics, which is rare because a lot of hallucinogenics can't be pressed because the heat will destroy it (LSD).

I hate it when people think ecstasy is a hard drug, it's actually very safe, and in moderation you should not have and mental issues caused by the drug. Though as with anything, too much is harmful.

And even then, hallucinogenics are not bad for you. All of these people saying "That dude went insane from doing acid!" are stupid. That person went sane, they see past all of the bullshit in life and put their ego aside. When people have bad trips it's because they are fighting the experience because they have some shit they don't want to deal with, which LSD helps you confront your problems head on instead of hiding them.

The people that do get mental problems are the ones not ready to take hallucinogenics.

Snowbizzle

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This is everything that is wrong with our government. The hypocrisy is just unbelievable. If I may grace you with a relevant quote:

"Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man." -Francis Young, Chief Administrative Law Judge for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, 1988.

He was completely ignored. This new guy speaks up -- he doesn't do ANYTHING, he just writes down the facts! -- and he gets fired.

I love my country, but good lord do I hate my government.

Matemeo

Reaction score
This is everything that is wrong with our government. The hypocrisy is just unbelievable. If I may grace you with a relevant quote:

"Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man." -Francis Young, Chief Administrative Law Judge for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, 1988.

He was completely ignored. This new guy speaks up -- he doesn't do ANYTHING, he just writes down the facts! -- and he gets fired.

QFT.

And please before you attempt to debate tobacco & alcohol vs Ecstasy/LSD do a little bit of research.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score

Please do pay attention. David Nutt was a drug advisor to the UK government, not to your US government. So please, try and differentiate between our government's failings and your own. Because yours is nowhere near as catastrophically bad as ours.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.