US News Graduating Class of 2015 Most Debt Burdened in History

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Americans owe $1.3 trillion in student loans, with $43 million people, young, old, and everyone in between burdened with student debt. This debt has shaken the fundamental values of the nation's higher education system. Now the Republicans are proposing to cut $150 billion from student aid in the recently passed budget bill, including freezing the Pell program that helps needy students acquire higher education.

College costs have increased 1000 percent since the '70s. Students are graduating with an average of $25,000 to over $100,000 in debt, and often with an education that will not secure them a good-paying job.

Now joining us from Boston is Josh Hoxie. Josh directs the Project on Opportunity and Taxation at the Institute for Policy Studies. Also joining us from Bellingham, Washington is Mayra Guizar. Mayra is a senior at Western Washington University, and serves on the U.S. Student association board of directors, chairing the Pacific Northwest region.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, student loans. You muricans are funny people.
College costs have increased 1000 percent since the '70s.
Did they take inflation into account or are they just looking at raw numbers?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Didn't we use to have a button for quotes?

with $43 million people

I doubt it, Acc. They didn't even proofread.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Yeah, it's sad... count me as a part of it. Well, I was. That's why I left my school, as an example. 4.69% rise in tuition annually for the past 20 years. It's a shame I already have the debt in loans from the first two years. I ain't even mad.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I am blessed to have graduated without having a debt bubble over my head.

I couldn't imagine having one.

The prices ARE outrageous, but it is in part because schools have been constantly pressured to have more on campus than there was previously. Gone are the barebone universities ... sort of. Community colleges are often barebones & cheap, but lots of people tend to neglect them as an initial choice.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Lol, student loans. You muricans are funny people.

Europeans also take impicit loans. The difference is that the US students pay more if they get a bad job and come from a poor family, while the EU students pay more if they get a good job and come from a rich family.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If we didn't do that, how would those poor folks learn hard work?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.