Snippet GUI: Triggering for Dummies (records)

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
GUI - Triggering for Dummies (records)

Prerequisits:

Alright, in this brief tutorial i will explain records. Essentially a record is a way to store many variables under 1 variable type with 1 index. In WC3 Jass these are called structs. In order to create one you right click the left column for triggers and go down to new -> new record. When you select the record it will have 1 option, variables. It can store as many variables as you want, you dont want to have these variables as arrays because that takes up a lot more data and they will have arrays in the record.

Now once the record is created if you select a trigger, create a local variable a and set the variable type to record, then you will have a pulldown menu for your records, this will be grayed out if you only have one. create a new action: Set Variable, then select the local variable you created named a, you will get something like this: Set a.Member = value
now if you select the Member part of the action you will be able to set any of the variables inside the record to the member and then you will be able to set the value based on that variables type. This was just the demonstration now well get into real uses.

Now create a new record called Hero Data, put whatever variables you want in it including a Unit, this is great for creating custom data for heroes, (ie: Attributes, Stats, Talent Tree Info, w/e u can think of). Now create a new variable and name it Hero Something (data, info, who cares) set the type to the record: Hero Data and set the max array to 15 (max players +1 for 0) Now from here on you can save Hero Data[Player number of Owner].Your variables = whatever you want and access that easily

These can be used to store MASSIVE ammounts of info, the limits in wc3 were 8190 indexes or max array but i am not sure about sc2. They are great for organizing information and saving it for every object in game if not almost every object. Make sure to clear any data that you are no longer going to be using though because it will take up ram if not cleared before it is recycled.

This goes on to:
  • WIP

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    My grandmother just passed away, she was 95. I might be going to Florida for a week.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I have a buddy in Florida who has an extra office space for me with a computer so I can do anything so likely I will be going up there wednesday or thursday
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    thank you Ghan
  • jonas jonas:
    Sorry for your loss
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm sorry to hear that bro
  • Varine Varine:
    Not to distract but is anyone aware of any software to help visually impaired people interact with their PC?
  • Varine Varine:
    Also what's the best way to ship a PC? Should I just wrap the fuck out of it in the case or put the components in static bags and wrapped up individually?
  • Ghan Ghan:
    The GPU is the biggest danger typically.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Some of the pre-built vendors use expanding foam to fill in the case and secure the GPU. Otherwise it might be best to remove it and ship it separately.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Similar if the machine has a large tower CPU cooler installed. Those can experience huge forces and destroy the socket during shipment if they are heavy.
  • Varine Varine:
    So mainly just the heavier things that jut out? I'm planning on pulling out the SSD's too and anything that I don't have well secured. I'll probably be good leaving the motherboard and PSU screwed in there though if I bundle it up?
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah, I'd expect those to be fine. It's mainly the heavy stuff that is also long/tall where dropping the case would cause it to exert a ton of force on the mount. The motherboard will be fine screwed into the board unless the case itself is somehow severely damaged.
  • Varine Varine:
    I have the original packaging for it, so I was going to just put it back in there
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I have the boxes for the components though and so I don't want to have a bunch of loose shit bouncing around
  • The Helper The Helper:
    damn I just read that lol
  • The Helper The Helper:
    when i read up and saw spray in foam I was like oh shit
  • The Helper The Helper:
    going to do the last controller giveaway in the NUON Dome forum because I just cannot sell them since I got them for free from a deceased NUON Legend. It is my last one from that.

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome