Snippet GUI: Triggering for Dummies (records)

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
GUI - Triggering for Dummies (records)

Prerequisits:

Alright, in this brief tutorial i will explain records. Essentially a record is a way to store many variables under 1 variable type with 1 index. In WC3 Jass these are called structs. In order to create one you right click the left column for triggers and go down to new -> new record. When you select the record it will have 1 option, variables. It can store as many variables as you want, you dont want to have these variables as arrays because that takes up a lot more data and they will have arrays in the record.

Now once the record is created if you select a trigger, create a local variable a and set the variable type to record, then you will have a pulldown menu for your records, this will be grayed out if you only have one. create a new action: Set Variable, then select the local variable you created named a, you will get something like this: Set a.Member = value
now if you select the Member part of the action you will be able to set any of the variables inside the record to the member and then you will be able to set the value based on that variables type. This was just the demonstration now well get into real uses.

Now create a new record called Hero Data, put whatever variables you want in it including a Unit, this is great for creating custom data for heroes, (ie: Attributes, Stats, Talent Tree Info, w/e u can think of). Now create a new variable and name it Hero Something (data, info, who cares) set the type to the record: Hero Data and set the max array to 15 (max players +1 for 0) Now from here on you can save Hero Data[Player number of Owner].Your variables = whatever you want and access that easily

These can be used to store MASSIVE ammounts of info, the limits in wc3 were 8190 indexes or max array but i am not sure about sc2. They are great for organizing information and saving it for every object in game if not almost every object. Make sure to clear any data that you are no longer going to be using though because it will take up ram if not cleared before it is recycled.

This goes on to:
  • WIP

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • jonas jonas:
    I think news.google shows you personalized news
  • midnight8 midnight8:
    any of the peeps in here run youtube channels? Figure of all the peeps in this forum, got to be some other geeks like me with channels
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I can say I've uploaded a YouTube video.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I can say I know someone that uploaded a youtube video :)
  • jonas jonas:
    A friend of mine has a channel where he uploads some of the crazy machines he has built. Like when he plugged an electric motor into a 3d printed gearbox, attached it to his bycicle and then drove 50mph with it.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You should post a link to his channel in General Discussion I would definitely check it out
  • The Helper The Helper:
    how hard is it to put google analytics on the site?
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Likely not hard. I think we've done it in the past. Anything in particular you want to see?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I remember we are already getting stats
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I watch the members online area of the site to see what is being viewed from the past and let me tell you there are some gems I am finding in there
  • jonas jonas:
    you could tell us the gems
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am trying to bump the gems when I find them
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    look at the whats new section
  • The Helper The Helper:
    there is not much static in the last posts on the forum
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think Tom Mai got sick of the news :(
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully he'll be back.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Probably should renew support on our xenForo license one of these days....
  • The Helper The Helper:
    we can do that how much is it?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    55 bucks ask google lol
  • The Helper The Helper:
    donate link is gone there should be one
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Added
  • Ghan Ghan:
    xenForo license is paid through 2022.
  • Wizard Wizard:
    I also still float around. Whenever I'm needed, just have Ghan poke me.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    All these old staff members that haven't been online in years....

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome