Guide - Explanation of W3M and W3X Files

O

Ozzapoo

That didn't really help.. :(
I wanted to make the file editable, and I thought it used compression...

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
How do you even open these files?

For example: (attributes) or a w3v or something...
Notepad doesn't cut it for me :/

O

Ozzapoo

So you can edit the war3map.wtg file using a hex editor? (So each byte represents a character)

O

Ozzapoo

~bump~

I don't understand the following line of code (note the bolded part):
int: number n of objects on this table, if 0 on the original table, then skip the default object table. This is the number of following units. Even if we don't have any changes on original table, this value must be there.
What does it mean when it says skips the default table, and what are 'following units'?

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
if int=0 => skip the current table to go to the default table
if int!=0 => war3map.w3u contains data (n unit definitions)
following units = every value

for instance if you don't understand what does "following units" means, here a simple answer :
.... of the following units would you use to measure force? kilowatt foot-pound or calorie?
value 1 = kilowatt
value 2 = foot-pound
value 3 = calorie
(google)

G

gosuber

Thanks for the info Chocobo it was quite useful. What really be awsome now is a way to extract the preview image and/or war3mapmap image. but it looks like all the files are thrown into a compressed MPQ. So any idea how i would read the images or decompress the MPQ? I'm looking for a way to do this through code, not using an existing MPQ program. The limited information I have found on MPQ format is quite hazy.

*****:thup:

A

arjunme

extractor

hey guys ok, So I kinda get what you are all on about.
Im busy wrting a flash app and would like to use some of the models in warcraft to do so. So my research has led me to this forum. Was wondering whether you could please tell me in none genius terms how I could extract the seporate parts of .w3x file. Ive checked out winmpg ... looks pretty cool and works for most of the files Ive tried but it doesnt work for w3x wich is the one that I need. Pleas help.

Moogle

Reaction score
For C++ extracting, StormLib is the best option I found. You have to build the libraries yourself, but you can just google StormLib and find it.

Great, great information. I always wondered what things did and have been considering making a couple programs to simplify some jobs.

d07.RiV

Reaction score
There is a bug in .w3a file description. The Data fields are numbered 1=A 2=B etc, not 0=A like stated in the article. Took quite a bit of time to notice that ><

As an alternative to StormLib or the likes I am using my own MPQ library which seems to work fine in all the tools I used it in, plus it seems to be faster than most other methods; I uploaded the code to wc3c at some point but I think its outdated now (some bug fixes etc), email me at [email protected] if anyone is interested, I might fix the code and upload it somewhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.