Guide - Good RPG

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest you add some pictures throughout your tutorial. Exemple of terrain, what x thing should look like, pictures of steps to do x, etc.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
All I can say is after reading this tutorial I have come to understand you know a lot about developing games like me and you describe it how we think of it. ^_^

However, there's more to creating an RPG than what you listed above, you need creativity. Creativity is the sole driving force behind an RPG, without it you are lost. Maybe get some idea generators, etc, which leads to forming a team.

Now, you mentioned some things that are regular for an RPG such as classes, abilities, items, etc. Now, these things might be fine and dandy, but they limit your RPGs potential. Don't tell the person to make however many different heroes, let them decide on how they want to make them. What if they decide to only have races and no classes and make abilities like D2, except useable by all the classes? There are many possibilities, so I believe your tutorials sort of limits the minds of our young developers out there.

The only thing I might suggest to anyone is that your RPG is limited by your creativity. What many people always hear me say is that all games are limited except for RPGs. Any game you make can be put into an RPG. Any system you make can be put into an RPG. What an RPG is a game that merges all of these systems together into a masterpiece and adds a beautiful storyline. It is your job as a developer to assess how and when you need to use these different ideas, for example, mazing might be a good thing in a stealth type setting where you might be trying to steal something. An AoS might be good in a war-type setting where you are aiding a country fend off another country, you can increase your military rank, etc. Anything from anywhere can be used, it is up to you to see the things out there that are being used.

A lot of people always say I have so many ideas. Some of my ideas come from looking at other games.

An RPG, or a game for that matter, is not all about content either. Look at wc3? Do you plan to use all of wc3's default systems, or do you plan to make your own systems. I've seen some games with their own physics engine, own AI, and so forth. I believe every game should have their own unique combat engine based on the game...

Another thing you forgot to account for is what makes a game fun. A game is fun only when the difficulty matches your skills. If it is too easy, it proves boring, and if it is too hard, it proves frustrating. Sure, you might make a new combat system, but it might be quite difficult to master and only the best of the best might be interested in it whilst others would be intimidated by it.

If you want your RPG to be fun, you need to make it easy and fast. If ever you decide to let the player sit around and train for hours, you'll let them get bored. Wouldn't you rather let them train thru various adventures? The faster everything is, where the player is hit with one thing after another, the longer you can keep the attention span of the player. Sure, you can include goals, that's what keeps people addicted to an RPG, and you can include training to get to these goals, but you should make the training optional. Oblivion's solution was to make it so the difficulty of the game was based on your level, and I will tell you this now, this is not a good option. Simply make it so there are plenty of things to do for every level so that you aren't stuck to just training unless you are really into it. Maybe make those secret not required areas have training involved to be able to handle them, for the players who wish to go above and beyond.

Now, what I ask everyone to do is to throw every idea and concept they have of an RPG out of their head and just start from scratch. The RPG is a roleplaying game that mimics the real world, filling it with your own stories, ides, races, worlds, etc. It's like creating your own universe.

So, create your universe, create its history, its creation, then decide what world you want to use and why that world is special. From there, you might create some characters, some more history, conflicts. A world that simply begins when the player arrives is blande unless it is for an MMO where the player can fully alter the history ^_^

You want to make a rich and realistic world

Think about what would happen if you hit someone? They'd get tired as they got hit, they'd be hurt. What if you hit the hand of that person? Would they die? No, the hand would be injured. What if you kept hitting it until it couldn't be used? What if you hit the person's head?

When creating a game, do not look at what you are creating it in, just look at your imagination and imagne your perfect game. There are no real guidelines to doing this except:

Every idea and concept that you know must be discarded

Why Final Fantasy is such a hit RPG series is because the developers look around and see what they like, then they come up with as many of the best ideas that they can come up with and put it all together. There are no concepts to an RPG, no set things you have to do, nothing

Do you necessarily have to do leveling? No, you can do whatever you like, leveling is just the most popular thing out there right now. What if you based it on the raising of your skills?

I'm sure if you can include these ideas in your tutorial, it will be a whole lot better ^_^

Battlemapsta

I am the Conduit of Change
Reaction score
Lol Nestharus I understand your points and you are most certainly correct but the purpose of this tutorial is to make a simple, fluid rpg guide. If I were to base it off the information you'd stated I would've had 2 pages of writing explaining the limitations of how creative your work can be to be realistic.

I am a 50/50 realistic/fantasy person so as long as it isn't too whacky, I don't mind.

Also thanks for the approval :D

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
Ehr.. don't know how old this thread is, or if this has been said before but...

Much Action: The story of this rpg is that a simple hero must destroy a powerful undead lich who plans to destroy dalaran from the face of the world. He will have to go to far off lands like Kalimdor to speak to old friends, talk to ancient creatures, and even gods to learn abilities, info, and gain artifacts of legend to destroy the face of the undead from their land.

Now in this you see that the action here is vast since you can tell of the many vast lands you explore adding adventure to it. So judging from both you can tell this one is the best. So remember this tip as it is important.

I disagree.. Action doesn't equal a good rpg.. I think you could easily have a fine rpg without or with very little action if it had an immersive story...
Of course you need a central conflict, and you need to involve the player in the story or your plot. Having them meet exciting and eccentric characters who will either oppose or aid you, but mindless combat (action) is just boring hack'n slash

I wouldn't like playing an rpg where the plot is weak, despite being full of action and big epic battles.

B

benj_war3

Also in a rpg it's best to make a big variety of quests as it helps the low level players level up to do funner things in your rpg. Make sure they're not boring and are creative. Using dialogs is a very good way of making good quests.

Why dialogs in quests? First time i saw one.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Nah, although this is good for beginners, I think it will just lead to more cheesy shit like TBR and Defiance. Kill + level up = items.

Good RPGs have unique stuff and aren't all about levels. Just my opinion.

B

benj_war3

I think I now know why dialogs are used to Get Quests right? Example. Villager wants to give you a quest. If you press yes, the quest will initialize, No, Back to game mode. :D

Battlemapsta

Reaction score
Nah, although this is good for beginners, I think it will just lead to more cheesy shit like TBR and Defiance. Kill + level up = items.

Good RPGs have unique stuff and aren't all about levels. Just my opinion.

Well obviously RPGs DON'T need levels. I didn't mention this but you can make a whacky assortment of designs for an rpg. Maybe a cooking rpg, or first person shooter. The possibilities are endless with the proper creative concept initiation.

Edit: To answer Lord Kakashi's suggestion, individuals are all different in their points of views. My general inscription of action or no action relates to the generalization that people are more commonly involved in the action of a game than its lore. It's best to simply balance both factors to please the majority of the public.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
5 Star Bump

5 Star Bump! This tutorial has only been rated 2 times. Please consider reviewing this information and giving a rating. Thanks!

Battlemapsta

Reaction score
By request of several different people I have decided to make a considerable edit to the tutorial adding 2 short sections and adding content to others. Enjoy and hopefully this tutorial will help you :D

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
wow, reviving a year old posts (actually 3 years but im going off of the last post), great job on the tutorial though :thup: but it is lacking compatability with RoC, i dont think you can go over lvl 10 in RoC

Battlemapsta

Reaction score
Yes that it is true, the majority of these suggestions and criteria are mainly executable through TFT. I'll be sure to later edit it a little further to show that.

F|bSaSk

Reaction score
max level

hello, very nice guide and it helped me very much but how to increase max lvl???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.