Guide - Tower Defense

kungfuturte0

Reaction score
Hmm...

I must say this is an AMAZING!!! tutorial. I new the basics of TDs now i no the advanced parts so thanks a bunch! :D One thing i need help on tho :( Do you no how to make it so that when a life is lost text appears saying summat like: A life has been lost! XX Lifes remaining! I can make it say life lost but not how many lifes remaining! Thanks for any help :D

master maste

Reaction score
you mean like this:

Code:
Unit - A unit enters (You end region where you loose lifes)
(Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Not equal to YourBuilder
Game - Display to (All players) the text: You have lost a lif...

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Insert the following lines to the "Lose Lives" trigger:

"Game - Display to inGamePlayers the text: (1 life lost! + ((String(livesCount)) + lives remaining.))"

D

Drummer13

I love your tutorial but i'm stuck. In my TD I have 10 players and I was wondering if you knew the codes for gray and light blue.

Note: Player colours.

|c00ff0303 – Red
|c000042ff – Blue
|c001ce6b9 – Teal
|c00540081 – Purple
|c00fffc01 – Yellow
|c00feba0e – Orange
|c0020c000 – Green
|c00e55bb0 - Pink

LiL_AH

Reaction score
Help :0

So I am using your template (really I couldnt be assed to write all those scripts) and changed some things, this includes the pathing since I want to make a two team hero defence thing. First I went with changing pathing / spawning. I made people spawn from red, pink, blue, and teal. I then only edited the pathing for red, and just a minor change for pink at the bottom. But for some reason, once they get to red/pink 6 they start running to the middle of the map. I moved the end spot :p, but the blue and teal spawns all walk straight into it... The creeps are as in your template from player 12(brown) and I allready set the creep return time etc. to 999... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ?!:banghead: :confused:

EDIT:
OMFG I can't believe what the little shitty bug was... Just before I was going to turn off my computer I test my map again and see that the creeps, after going to their starting spot they would follow the route again, and end up at the other spawn... I just overlapped the last checkpoint... gah so obvious -.-
EDIT2: Nearly forgot to say thank you for the awesome tut :D

morno

Reaction score
hello all!

i have followd the instruction and the creeps dont spwan i have rechecked it all like 5 times now and im getting sick if it.. here is my trigger:

Code:
Spwan on player 1
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Regionarry[0] = SPWAN P1 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[1] = P1 01 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[2] = P1 02 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[3] = P1 03 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[4] = P1 04 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[5] = P1 05 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[6] = P1 06 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[7] = P1 07 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[8] = P1 08 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[9] = P1 09 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[10] = P1 10 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[11] = P1 11 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[12] = P1 12 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[13] = P1 13 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[14] = P1 14 <gen>
        Set Regionarry[15] = P1 15 <gen>

and here is the region they will spwan in the SPWAN P1<gen>:

Code:
Spwan p1
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters SPWAN P1 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 01 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 02 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 03 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 04 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 05 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 06 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 07 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 08 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 09 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 10 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 11 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 12 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 13 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 14 <gen>
        Unit - A unit enters P1 15 <gen>
    Conditions
        (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to hostilecreep
    Actions
        Unit - Set the custom value of (Triggering unit) to ((Custom value of (Triggering unit)) + 1)
        Set tmpPoint = (Center of Regionarry[(Custom value of (Triggering unit))])
        Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Move To tmpPoint
        -------- leak removal --------
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation( udg_tmpPoint )

and i have put the starting point were the creeps will spwan.. so its not that.. my TD will be a 4 player TD, and i haven't put out the other 3 Region.. i just whant to see if it works for player 1..

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
You should probably create a new thread in the World Editor Help Zone if you're having a problem.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a thread asking about it in the Help Zone....

morno

Reaction score
here is my spwan trigger i hope:

Code:
Spwan creep
    Events
        Time - CreepTime expires
    Conditions
    Actions
        Countdown Timer - Destroy CreepTimedWindow
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to CreepSpwanCount[LevelCount], do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Wait 0.25 seconds
                Player Group - Pick every player in ingameplayers and do (Actions)
                    Loop - Actions
                        Set tmpPoint = ((Picked player) start location)
                        Unit - Create 1 CreepArry[LevelCount] for hostilecreep at tmpPoint facing 0.00 degrees
                        -------- Leak Removal --------
                        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation( udg_tmpPoint )

If this isent the spwan trigger u whant look at my Thread: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63398 there i have added all my triggers i have on my TD..

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Sorry Ghan, didn't notice that thread. Anyway, you have setup your spawn amount, but, the trigger is never ran - it does not have an event.

And please, narrow down the search of the problem, you do not need to post ALL of your triggers.

morno

Reaction score
ok thx i diddent see that... but i had gone thrue all my triggers 5 times :p how code i not totest that? :p tyx for the help!

D

Dragon654

Pathing Issue

Andrewgosu,
Ive followed your guide and i must say- Its Awsome!
But I have an issue I think is related to the general shape of my map. Ive used your triggers and theve all set up really nicely until i got to the regions and pathing lines. Your guide im guessing is set up for creeps to take individual paths to the center of the map (or wherever the epicenter of defense is), but im making a squarelike map where creeps travel halfway around the perimeter of the square and then proceed into the center, resembling the AirStrike TD and the Warhammer 40k TD if you are familiar with those. The problem I am having with your tutorial is that i cant figure out a way to make your array work so that the creeps path overlaps with regions of other creeps paths. And when I comand them to move from one region to the center region, how can I keep creeps that are still supposed to be going around the square from stepping into the region that will send them into the middle instead of continuing thier path around.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Hello, I just want to say great tutorial, it is really good. I've been using the most of your triggers for the creeps and such, and I have one slight problem. When the creeps spawn after the countdown timer, the don't move from the spawn, when I attack them, you just run away, but after a while, the attacked one start to move.

I decided to post it in the WE help zone instead. Anyway, imba tutorial!

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
With this post, I hereby announce that Part II - Object Editor has gone under a massive nip/tuck process.

Some of the changes:

• Fixed a lot of grammatical errors
  • Made it shorter, removed unnecessary text, but, made it more in-detail.
  • Added better explanations.

In addition, all feedback is greatly appreciated. Suggest ideas, and I just might add them. E.g "How to ...?", "How can I ...?" etc.

P.S Don't forget to rate this tutorial. It's very easy.

"Rate thread" option.

R

RobRobRob

This is a great tutorial, thanks Andrewgosu. I'm quite a novice at map making and even this tutorial was quite daunting for me to start with, but after I got the hang of variables and found some of the more obscure or complicated triggers, I blasted through the tutorial with very few problems. One thing, though, I had a problem with the spawn location of the creeps and found that you'd specified it as the picked player start location (check your spawn creeps trigger). I'm not sure if that was a typo or not, but it caused the creeps to spawn on top of my builder. I resolved it simply by setting tmpPoint to the spawn region.

Anyway, thanks again, +rep on its way to you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.