Guide - Tower Defense

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
This is a great tutorial, thanks Andrewgosu. I'm quite a novice at map making and even this tutorial was quite daunting for me to start with, but after I got the hang of variables and found some of the more obscure or complicated triggers, I blasted through the tutorial with very few problems.

Always nice to hear positive (or constructive negative) feedback. :)

One thing, though, I had a problem with the spawn location of the creeps and found that you'd specified it as the picked player start location (check your spawn creeps trigger). I'm not sure if that was a typo or not, but it caused the creeps to spawn on top of my builder.

The tutorial will be updated, soon. I shall remove any misunderstandings.

Hey, I was wondering how i could make a race chooser, could you halp me out?
thanks.

Thanks for pointing that out. I shall add a "optional" section to read, covering those issues.

Stay tuned.

C

Cannabis

Hey, I was wondering how i could make a race chooser, could you halp me out?
thanks.

its not so very hard :p how would you like it? if like Wintermaul
then instead off making it like this

Code:
Unit - Create 1 [COLOR="Red"]Builder[/COLOR] for (Picked player) at tmpPoint facing Default building facing degrees
then change builder (builder is just a example) out with a building that contains all your builders (races)

This is a great tutorial, thanks Andrewgosu. I'm quite a novice at map making and even this tutorial was quite daunting for me to start with, but after I got the hang of variables and found some of the more obscure or complicated triggers, I blasted through the tutorial with very few problems. One thing, though, I had a problem with the spawn location of the creeps and found that you'd specified it as the picked player start location (check your spawn creeps trigger). I'm not sure if that was a typo or not, but it caused the creeps to spawn on top of my builder. I resolved it simply by setting tmpPoint to the spawn region.

Anyway, thanks again, +rep on its way to you.
It works fine here :)

G

GoMaiden

Can you help me, my Level 2 doesn't come, I have checked twize. Level 1 comes, then nothing happens after that.

I can send you the map and you can maybe take a look at it.

Please help me.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Note: You must begin setting the array indexes from 0, not 1. Units' custom values are 0 by default, not 1.

Note: This spawning trigger requires that every creep costs at least 1 food.

Does your map meet these requirements?

Ynklig

Reaction score
Awesome post! It helped me alot, I think atleast... But I got a problem still ( no offence ).

I can get the first 10 peasant to spawn but after that nothing comes. I´ve done what the tut. said. I´ve also looked it through several times.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You should post questions like this in a new post and link back to the Tutorial as reference. You should not ask new questions in Tutorials threads. Thanks.

jhnam95

Reaction score
Pathway Help

On your tutorial, the regions were fairly large.
If you use the trigger on if a unit enters the region, it's told to move to somewhere else, would it start the trigger as soon as it touches even the edge of the region or does it have to go to the center for the trigger to execute?

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
It triggers the trigger the moment the unit enters the region - when the unit "touches" the edge.

The regions in the screenshots are large, because they serve an illustrative purpose, small regions would look bad.

You can make as big or small regions as you wish.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Guessing that you read the whole thing, or most of it:

Code:
Unit - Create [B]2[/B] creepArray[levelCount] for hostileCreeps at tmpPoint facing 0.00 degrees

jhnam95

Reaction score
w8
on that,
do i have to put like
Code:
Unit - Create 2 creepArray[levelCount] for hostileCreeps at tmpPoint facing 0.00 degrees
Wait- Wait 2 Seconds
Create 2 creepArray[levelCount] for hostileCreeps at tmpPoint facing 0.00 degrees
Wait- Wait 2 Seconds
And keep doing that?

Actually, I'm doing that.

jhnam95

Reaction score
For some reason
on the sell, i can't put .75 for the sell value
i can't put the decimal point
idk y

jhnam95

Reaction score
I have a couple problems

One is that if i sell a tower, the tower is removed but i don't get any gold back. I did put the point value. Idk wut's wrong.

Secondly, my units won't spawn
IDK y
i followed ur tut on both
but on the spawn one i added stuff so that they would come 2 by 2
mebbe that's the prob?
can u help me?

L

L-K-R

EDIT: ah, okay. Set variable... how dumb am I... :nuts:

Wait... how do you acutally set the variable?

R@i_no_Wyrm

Reaction score
hmm... a question. Can you make a map from microsoft excel?
(simply convert it and ta-da! Terrain complete!)
or you should work on it yourself?

I wonder how Tower Wars do its map... 3 symmetrical triangle complicated route... And precisely same!

T

Tsaras

Hey people, I registered here so that I can make this single question:

In all the maps I have made which required guiding the way of creeps through regions, I've always faced the same problem.

As it would be expected using a trigger to move creeps to the new region when they enter the previous one, I really thought it would be easy job.

BUT

In ALL the maps that I create a creep, put it to move when it enters the spawning region, it moves to a specific position, then returns back to the center of the spawning region.

Now, in ALL the toturials I have read, it simply says 'Order unit to Move to center of new region' blah blah. This does NOT work for me. Has anyone got any clue of what could be happening?

In my last map though I found out that:
- The creep begins to move to desired position, then suddenly changes its mind and returns back
- When it enters the spawning region again, which contains code to move it to the desired position, it begins now with full engine and walks till the end!
- Plus I found out that no matter how many orders I give it to move to the desired position BEFORE it starts returning back the first time, it won't go.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
The problem lies in the gameplay constants - the creeps are ordered to move back to their guarding "spot" if they get too far.

To "remove" this nasty feature from your map, open gameplay constants by selecting "Advanced" from the menu.

Next, just modify the "Creeps - Guard Return Distance" and "Creeps - Guard Return Time" fields.

Insert something big, 99999.0 would do excellent.

T

Tsaras

That worked for the half of it yeah.

But now the problem is that when creeps go below a certain % of hp, they start returning back again.

What is their problem now? :mad:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.