Guide - Tower Defense

D

djdeth

I really appreciate the help so far. Is there a way to customize the art that I choose? I mainly would want to edit colors of the projectiles and such. Is Area of Effect just for the AOE stuff and Damage base and such for missle / arrows? How do I choose how many targets a missle would be able to hit (or how many arrows at the same time), or how wide the blast of an AOE would be?

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
You can customize the arts by modifying them in a model editor program of some sort. A lot of hassle. Or download some, made by other Warcraft 3 fans, at wc3campiangs.net.

All the units in the AoE will be hit and damaged, depending, whether the targets allowed field allows them to be hit. So, you really cannot control how many units can the AoE damage. (As many as there fits?)

And, as I stated in my previous post, modify the

"Combat - Attack (1 or 2) - Area of Effect (Full Damage)"
"Combat - Attack (1 or 2) - Area of Effect (Medium Damage)"
"Combat - Attack (1 or 2) - Area of Effect (Small Damage)"

fields, to change the AoE diameter.

D

djdeth

I noticed with Frost Attack (I believe that was used in your tutorial) makes it so that the projectile looks a certain way, even if I changed the art. Would it work just the same if I did something along the lines of a trigger.

If unit is attacked by this tower
slow target for this much time by this much %?

Also, I tried to put other abilities on such as poison sting but that doesn't seem to work? For hero abilities how would I convert this over to a tower? Would I do a trigger that said

If unit is attacked by blizzard tower
use blizzard from attacking tower on unit

I am not sure if that made sense, it is just the way I thought of it on the top of my head. I also noticed that somtimes the units go off of the path when going to the checkpoints, is there a way to fix this? Make more checkpoints? Make them stay within a certain area? Maybe I should make the regions smaller or bigger?

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
1. just add the frozen buff to the projectile, or if you want to do it trigger based you can instead add the buff to attacked unit (more work but can be used to give a small chance of doing this, with a if then else like if random number between 0 and level of attacking unit greater then 2 then add buff to attacked unit)

2. Same for poison

3. isn't it mor easy to change the projectile to units - abilities- blizzard, and increasing AoE to AoE of Blizzard with
"Combat - Attack 1 - Area of Effect (Full Damage)" and then set the integer to the integer of effect by the blizzard spell lvl 1

4. so don't make units have to go around a corner between 2 checkpoints, and set your unit's collision size to 0

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
ah and well to your question with the number of targets, one field over attack range therre is field wich is named "number of maximum hits" or s. t. like that

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Yes, 'Frost Attack' does change the projectile art of the tower. But, you can alter the 'Frost Attack's projectile art, too. Modify the "Art - Missle Art" field in order to do that

Should mention, that, if you want to change the appearance of the sparkling ice*, which surrounds the unit, when it gets hit by the 'Frost Attack', you need to alter the 'Frost Attack's buff - 'Slowed' - and change the "Art - Target" Field. Furthermore, if you need to change the attack and movement speed reduction for the spell, you can only alter it from gameplay constants.

*sparkling ice

icesparkle.jpg

Go Advanced->Gameplay Constants and then find the following fields(They are pretty much down at bottom):

"Spells - Frost Attack Speed Reduction"
"Spells - Frost Attack Movement Speed Reduction"

(The default values are correspondingly 0.25 and 0.50 - 25% and 50%)

When you want to add hero abilities to non hero units, you need to convert the ability into a non hero ability, too.

"Stats - Hero Ability - False"
"Stats - Item Ability - False"

If the above fields for a specified ability are set like that, the ability should appear to the "Abilities - Normal" spell selection, where you can dispatch to your liking.

If I understand correctly, you want the "Blizzard Tower" to cast 'Blizzard' on it's victim? If not, maybe you can elaborate a little bit?

Events
- Unit - A unit Is attacked
Conditions
- (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Blizzard Tower
Actions
- Unit - Order (Attacked unit) to Human Archmage - Blizzard (Position of (Attacked unit))

(This leaks a point, however. How to remove memory leaks.)

The units tend to act and move like drunkards, when the distance between two regions is too lengthy. Making more "checkpoints" and moving them closer to each other should fix the problem.

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
4. so don't make units have to go around a corner between 2 checkpoints, and set your unit's collision size to 0

Not quite, 0 collision still exists, it is not, non-existent collision, so it will still make them run around corners and stuff like that.

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
OF COURSE THEY STILL DO
but they don't hustle the other wave units out of the path

Yeah they still do, that's why you need the "Ghost (Visible)" ability added to the creeps if that functionality is important to you.

Mahucharn

I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool.
Reaction score
very nice TD guide, did you make a TD yourself? if so whats it called?

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
The TD I'm working on at the moment was born from this thread to be honest :)

Just adjusted/omitted/added some triggers and the basics were set
Would have never gotten the idea to use "food becomes 0" to trigger the next wave,

Good Job.

B

bulldogg13

i really need help >.< i am getting stuck at the point where,
"temp_point" comes into play, i don't see anything mentioned on that, so i figured you wanted that made into a variable but i don't know which type though, so i am lost there

and also i am lost on trying to create that one builder where the code goes like
"unit - create 1 builder for (picked player) at temp_point facing default building default degrees"
well 1) i cannot find "builder" so i have acolyte, then "temp_point" i need that for the variable, but i don't know waht that is.
and then also on Kills_Count.

but here is the pic of the whole thing i am talking about.
everything is fine excpet those few parts so help appreciated. ;)

trigster21.jpg

Evan1993

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
"temp_point" comes into play, i don't see anything mentioned on that, so i figured you wanted that made into a variable but i don't know which type though, so i am lost there
Guess. :rolleyes:
Its called temp_point for a reason. :p

B

bulldogg13

well honestly i don't know, i do not know much about all the commands :p so i need to know exactly what it does and how to get it to work, but also i need help with the other things i circled/squared around.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
very nice TD guide, did you make a TD yourself? if so whats it called?

Thanks.

Archimonde TD, but it is on hold at the moment.:(

The TD I'm working on at the moment was born from this thread to be honest :)

Just adjusted/omitted/added some triggers and the basics were set
Would have never gotten the idea to use "food becomes 0" to trigger the next wave,

Good Job.

Thanks.

"temp_point" is point type variable.

and also i am lost on trying to create that one builder where the code goes like
"unit - create 1 builder for (picked player) at temp_point facing default building default degrees"
well 1) i cannot find "builder" so i have acolyte,

The "Builder" unit is an example. You have to replace it with your unit, which builds the towers.;)

...and then also on Kills_Count.

"Kills_Count" is integer variable array.

B

bulldogg13

ty very much Andrewgosu and others for help ;). i appreciate that a lot :) lol

when i switched it to "point" everything else seemed to work, i still have more to do to complete it, so i may still come into some trouble but for now thank you guys ;)

-----------------------------------------------------

B

bulldogg13

ok ran into a complicated part lol.

so first of all i need to know what variable Creep_Level_Count is? (i thought it was integer)

and

i need help with gettin this line i squared around, i need to know how to do that lol

triggerspawns-1.jpg

B

bulldogg13

ok what am i doing wrong, here is the map i have. just open that in world editor and look at the coding. so far i have everything to the kills_count
and i only need to add the selling and the people leaving game. but don't you think the creeps would still come out at my point. well there not >.< lol the map is nothing terrific i just did that for a lane, i only wanna make a 1 player TD to play by myself. just to get the hang of it before i start moving it to like 4 people or so on lol, but please take a look and see what is wrong i mean it will load but i don't know lol. i am lost hehe i think it may have something to do with the regions, but i don't know lol.

~Bulldogg13

EDIT: took map off

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.