Gummy Bear Freedom

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
*Waves*
Hiya. First time I've stopped by the creative writing forum... thought I'd post something. I've been meaning to publicly release this, and well, it was suggested I do so here.

If you're wondering who I am, I usually hide out in the resources section of the World Editor forum for Warcraft III.

Feel free to let me know what you think, but this is basically a finished piece.

It was written under exam conditions in 90 minutes, during my last year of high school, in English class. It ended up getting a score of 100%. The original question is featured in the document, also. :)

Feel free to also comment on any thoughts it provokes (as that's the point of it). Hope you like it.

Attachments

• Gummy Bear Freedom.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 269

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I like your writing style. It's different and it's dramatic with a poetic twist. It reminds me of my ideal prose.

I kicked gently at the wooden cupboard in front of me in a vain attempt to help psyche myself up as she worked away at constructing my fate.

Aren't you looking for another word?

I folded my arms and watched her hands frantically attack the shiny, white packet in vain, but eager attempts to get it open.

The word vain is already redundant. Your description contradicts itself, which makes the action seem awkward. I think that's cool, but you should choose better words.

Also, this sentence is messed up.

I folded my arms and watched her hands frantically attack the shiny, white packet in vain; however, she was eager to get it open.

I'm not so sure if the comma should go after the word shiny, yet I don't have my textbook out on the desk. I'm too lazy to get it.

It had all started a week ago when I had offered to shout her McDonalds for lunch.

???

We had been friends for several weeks and to be honest, I wanted to get to know her a little better.

We had been friends for several weeks, and I honestly wanted to get to know her a little better.

I wasn't so sure about the "to be honest" bit, so I used the adverb form instead. I hope that doesn't screw up your style. It's just an example though. Review the rules for conjunctions.

When she smiled, the world smiled with her. When she laughed, her eyes sparkled like… like a packet of gummy bears.

I like this.

If we became something more, there was the risk of losing all these wonderful little things which made knowing her so great.

I recommend using the word that instead of the word which. The word which usually comes along with comma. It's also used to describe unessential things. The word that doesn't stop the flow of the sentence, and it's commonly used to describe essential things.

I pushed the end of my just desert into my mouth, and bit down.

Take the comma out.

Immediately, I felt the bread stick to the roof of my mouth, and the syrup coated my teeth.

You felt the bread stick to the roof of your mouth? I suggest you revise this sentence to say what you exactly want to say.

EDIT: OOOOOOH! The bread stuck to the roof of your mouth! Haha. Maybe you should choose a different word.

Would it be truer freedom to take her in my arms and tell her how I felt about her, or to tell her that it needed more gummy bears?

Aw, come on! I wanted him to do something! Good job.

You really touched me (in the good way). I really enjoyed this story. You're a very intelligent individual with a creative side. I like that, and I'm a bit envious of you. But who wouldn't be? Feel free to submit any story anytime. I'll read it.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
>Aren't you looking for another word?
Psyche (verb): (transitive) To put (someone) into a required psychological frame of mind.

>The word vain is already redundant. Your description contradicts itself
Hmm... Using parenthesis to demonstrate what applies to what...
I folded my arms and watched her hands frantically attack the (shiny, white) --> packet in (vain, but eager) --> attempts to get it open.
Vain as in failing (to do something "in vain"), but yet still eager... still persistent... ;)

>I folded my arms and watched her hands frantically attack the shiny, white packet in vain; however, she was eager to get it open.
Hmm... It doesn't flow the same, and doesn't suit the voice telling the story for the rest of it, quite...

In a first person story, I'd be more concerned about having a consistent tone and flow to the voice telling it than being grammatically perfect. People don't always speak with perfect grammar. The narrator is a character...

>I'm not so sure if the comma should go after the word shiny, yet I don't have my textbook out on the desk. I'm too lazy to get it.
Multiple adjectives, I believe it does.

>???
Ah, I don't know what country you're from or if this applies there, but in Australia, to "shout" someone lunch is slang for buying them lunch (paying for 'em). :)

>I hope that doesn't screw up your style.
To be honest, that's just how I talk as a character. ;) (Same point as above.)

>I recommend using the word that instead of the word which.
I agree. I should probably change that, but probably won't bother.

>Aw, come on! I wanted him to do something!
At this point, the story is no longer what's important. It throws itself on the reader - hopefully the reader identifies with a situation in their life, or is seeing what it would be like to be in this situation... and is considering what values are important to them, and what the best thing is for their own life and friends and relationships. :)

Most people don't get to process this before they find themselves alone with a girl who they're really fond of. And it's easy to kind of get serious and stuff. I don't know if you read the statement of intention, but the idea of Gummy Bear Freedom is to say that just continuing as friends is a very awesome option.

>You're a very intelligent individual with a creative side. I like that
Hey, thanks. I'm really glad you enjoyed my work, and I'm very appreciative of your wonderful kind words and comments on my writing style/suggestions. So thanks for reading. :thup:

I'll consider posting some stuff here from time to time. ^_^

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I'll consider posting some stuff here from time to time. ^_^

Great! Thanks for all the insightful replies. I disagree with some of your statements, but it's not my job to tell you what to do. Just keep writing.

My comment about the ending wasn't a real suggestion. It was just my reaction. Haha. :p

Take care.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I just had to say that your story was amazing and is beyond my level of writing -_-.
Keep up the good work! Amazing for the first thing you have ever posted on a creative writing forum xD

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I really like your writing style, its refreshing compared to most things I read. How old are you by the way if you don't mind my asking?

quraji

zap
Reaction score
Hey, I think most of us can identify with this..:p

Nice writing, especially considering it was for a timed essay. I usually did the same sort of thing taking those exams in high school. I'd never write the essays for assignments, but I'd write some (I think) above average stuff on the exams just to spite them :thup:

Anyways, nice job. Now I have to see if I have anything good from school.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.