Hard drive filling up for no reason

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
So I've been noticing lately that my hard drive fills up for no reason. I suspected this earlier, and I think it was a couple of days ago I had 81.8 out of 465 gigabytes.

I checked again now and saw that I had 74.9 gig free. And I am fairly damn sure I haven't filled up almost 6 gigabytes in a few days. I think I have had this problem longer than I want to admit, but I think it's time to fix this god damn problem, but I need some help because I got no clue what to do.

Also, I guess there's a good chance I might dealing with some virus or something, so I need some tips on some free virus/spyware/trojan/whatever scanners.

EDIT: And oh, I defragmented my computer about a week ago. I think I got like 'bout 120-130 gigabytes free then, but it just filled up for some reason.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would recommend MalwareBytes for checking on viruses and I would also try using CCleaner.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
if the above isn't it, any window updates/restore points created recently? windows likes to make a semi-backup of itself before any updates, and those can take up quite a bit of room if you do program installs/uninstalls between them

Cornface

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I have been having a busy week. I scanned my computer, but the problem still persists. Also, I check restore points and such, and it seems I don't have any restore points at all.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
How much space do you have allocated to temporary files?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Could be internet caches or virtual RAM, how much RAM do you have?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
have you tried going to "computer" and finding out what takes up ~300 gb? (right click on different folders/groups of folders, then go to properties for the size)

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Download WinDirStat and tell it to scan your hard drive(s). It will list your folders and which folders take up the most memory.
Also, it will display a graphical picture of your hard drive giving each file type a different cluster and color. Click on the biggest clusters to find out what file type takes up the most space and where it is located.

http://windirstat.info/

If it's a Mac, try to find a similar program.

Cornface

Reaction score
Turns out today I got some nasty viruses on my computer. They are fake windows security programs that scan my computer and finds fake viruses and wants to remove them. After ~3 years without firewalls, anti-virus programs etc, well yeah, I am punished..

Also found k70ccreloc.exe on my computer. And according to http://www.incodesolutions.com/threats4/System32Rootk70ccrelocexe.php the process can create files on my computer. Hrm.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What's the name of the "security program?" They're usually rather easy to remove.

Download, install and update Malwarebytes then run a quick scan. Run a deep scan afterwards, should be resolved.

Cornface

Reaction score
Yarp, Malwarebytes did the trick for me. I think I managed to remove the "security programs." I hope it was them causing the problem, but you never know. I'll return later if I see my hard drive filling up. Thanks for the help everyone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.