Report Harvard Study Finds Fluoride Lowers IQ - Published in Federal Gov't Journal

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Harvard University researchers' review of fluoride/brain studies concludes "our results support the possibility of adverse effects of fluoride exposures on children's neurodevelopment." It was published online July 20 in Environmental Health Perspectives, a US National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences' journal (1), reports the NYS Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. (NYSCOF)

"The children in high fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ than those who lived in low fluoride areas," write Choi et al.

Further, the EPA says fluoride is a chemical "with substantial evidence of developmental neurotoxicity."

Fluoride (fluosilicic acid) is added to US water supplies at approximately 1 part per million attempting to reduce tooth decay.

Water was the only fluoride source in the studies reviewed and was based on high water fluoride levels. However, they point out research by Ding (2011) suggested that low water fluoride levels had significant negative associations with children's intelligence.

Basically, the tap water you drink from contains some fluoride that may decrease your IQ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
They are really deliberately putting chemicals into their drinking water? Are they crazy?
I wouldnt even need a study to be opposed to this.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
But it's not Just the U.S. Fluoride Or fluoridated salt is being used worldwide like you see here.

di-GZI2.png

Percentage of population receiving fluoridated water, including both artificial and natural fluoridation

Read More Here.

But I do agree, creepy chemicals in water that is crazy.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I knew about this for a while.. I hope they stop putting fluoride in the water, but I don't see it changing soon

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
http://www.fluoridealert.org/

Thanks, FireCat. You just let me know that I'm most probably receiving fluoridated water.

EDIT: Talk about developments. http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/fluoride-lowers-your-iq-b.s.-headline-week/
Whoa! Okay, now, which areas? Like, is Milwaukee worse than Dallas? Well, let's follow the link in the press release to the study and then the additional details of the study. In some tiny print you'll find they're talking about China and India, and they are not motherfucking talking about Fluoride in toothpaste or stuff being added to drinking water. In those countries their water supply is contaminated with mega-doses of fluoride that seeps into wells from the soil. They're getting toxic levels up to twenty times higher than what you get in your drinking water.

FireCat

Reaction score
Fluorine is a highly toxic element. Proponents say it is a nutrient. Scientists are mixed on this point. If it is a necessary nutrient, only a trace amount is needed in the body. We get this from foods such as tea, and small amounts are found naturally in most drinking water.

Sodium fluoride, the chemical used in water fluoridation, is a cumulative toxin. It is sold as rat poison, used in pesticides, and is the active ingredient in Saran nerve gas. Fluoride tablets require a prescription, unlike any other nutrient mineral. All fluoride toothpaste comes with a warning label. The label states “Keep out of the reach of children under 6. If you swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control center immediately.” This warning applies to anything greater than a pea-sized drop of toothpaste on your brush.

Fluoride is considered one of the worst, if not the worst airborne pollutant, responsible for decimating fish and wildlife populations. The United States is one of 22 nations that signed a treaty promising not to dump fluorides into the oceans, lakes or rivers.

In the doses that fluoridated water provides, fluoride is associated with higher rates of birth defects, cancer and immunosuppression, lower IQ of children, dental and skeletal fluorosis, and neurological problems. It has also been shown to cause increased bone fractures, cataracts and infant mortality, and some 20 other health effects. A study in Brain Research, vol. 784:1998 showed that fluoride in the water fed to rats increased the absorption of aluminum into the rats brains, causing alterations in the brains similar to Alzheimer’s Disease. Also, fluoride is highly corrosive. Several studies in Massachusetts and elsewhere found higher levels of lead in the drinking water in fluoridated areas. This is most likely due to corrosion of lead pipe joints as a result of the corrosive chemical.

A new study also showed that fluoride accumulates in the pineal gland. This is a hormonal control center and causes severe imbalances in some sensitive people. The work, titled Fluoride Deposition In The Aged Pineal Gland was done as a PhD thesis by Jennifer Luke and published in Caries Research.

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
^@FireCat
Sodium fluoride, the chemical used in water fluoridation, is a cumulative toxin.
Obvious lie. Sodium ions are not toxic, and fluoride is not a cumulative toxin.

and is the active ingredient in Saran nerve gas.
Another ridiculous lie(also they mispelt sarin). Thats like saying nitrogen is the active ingredient in cyanide. Don't breathe air! it is 78% the active ingredient in cyanide!

You guys should not believe the anti water fluoridation bullshit. Its some crazy conspiracy theory with shaky evidence mixed with a bunch of lies.

Also low doses of most poisons are actually good for you as they provoke hormetic defense responses. Ever wondered why low doses of alcohol and also vegetables are good for you?(its not because of nutrients.) It makes sense that fluoride in ppm levels is not only not bad for you but might be good for you(not just your teeth). It's not really a cumulative poison anyhow.

But you shouldn't go munching a couple tubes of toothpaste though. That won't end well.

FireCat

Reaction score
Oh, I don't think it's a conspiracy not everything. Well, I have some doubts regarding IQ issue
Hmm, It sounds kind of fishy. But anyway

di-H5QB.gif

fluoride, or Hydrofluorosilic acid (H 2 SiF 6 ), is not naturally occurring but is a waste by-product derived from the industrial manufacture of aluminium, zinc, uranium, aerosols, insecticides, fertilizers, plastics, lubricants and pharmaceuticals. It is also a Part II Poison under the UK Poisons Act 1972 ranking in toxicity above lead and just below arsenic.Fluoride is one of the basic ingredients in both PROZAC (FLUoxetene Hydrochloride) and Sarin nerve gas (Isopropyl-Methyl-Phosphoryl FLUoride). American toothpastes containing fluoride are by law obliged to state, '"WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately."
Well, you can't get a clean water 'without any chemicals" on it. You don't even need to read about it to figure it out.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
God, my OCD is acting up. Why would anyone NOT place the sticker correctly in the diamond-shape spot, is completely out of my reasoning...

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
@FireCat
Go buy distilled water then. It would be a waste of time anyhow considering fluoride is only at levels of 1 ppm in tap water. Thats 1 gram per 1000L. iirc the LD50 for fluoride is ~5g acute dose. So you would have to drink 5000L of water in a short amount of time in order to get a lethal dose of fluoride (and only ~5L water to get a lethal dose of water). Also know that ozone(which is very potent toxin) is in the AIR at 0.07 ppm which is 7% what fluoride is in water. Now think, you drink ~2L water a day, how much air do you think you breathe? Not to mention that there is a whole host of chemical poisons in every food that you eat, and a massive amount of viruses and bacteria that secret all kinds of toxins that are all over and inside your body. If you live in a city chances are the air is going to be filled with all sorts of toxic shit as well(smoke/exhaust/smog).

Imo water fluoridation is good. It protects your teeth and toxic effects are non-existant. There is no such thing as completely "clean" anything anyway. Just don't worry about the shit that isn't harmful in the amount you take it in, as after all, the dose is what makes the poison.

Edit: Also saw the sarin bullshit again in the shit you quoted. You really should not trust these guys spouting lies and/or red herrings.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
iirc the LD50 for fluoride is ~5g acute dose. So you would have to drink 5000L of water in a short amount of time in order to get a lethal dose of fluoride (and only ~5L water to get a lethal dose of water).
In the interest of staying factual: The article is about effects on intelligence. The dose required for minimal measurable effect is likely a lot lower than LD50.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
This is way over my head, but I need to clear some things up.
Specifically, sarin is a potent inhibitor of the enzyme cholinesterase. Sarin acts on cholinesterase by forming a covalent bond with the particular serine residue at the active site. Fluoride is the leaving group, and the resulting phosphoester is robust but biologically inactive. With the enzyme inhibited, acetylcholine builds up in the synapse and continues to act so that any nerve impulses are, in effect, continually transmitted. Normally, the acetylcholinesterase breaks down the acetylcholine in the synaptic cleft in order to allow the effector muscle or organ to relax.
So it prevents your muscles/organs from relaxing. And it does so by... I dunno, some chemistry. Fluoride seems to be involved. I really don't know whether it's to blame for the disruption, but it's involved.
CH3P(O)F2 + (CH3)2CHOH → [(CH3)2CHO]CH3P(O)F + HF
Fluoride is one of the basic ingredients in both PROZAC (FLUoxetene Hydrochloride) and Sarin nerve gas (Isopropyl-Methyl-Phosphoryl FLUoride).
From the equation of Sarin's formation, obviously fluoride is one of the ingredients. That's what the quote under the picture says. It doesn't say anything about fluoride being an active ingredient or anything, which was the case before.

The fluoride ion is readily absorbed by the stomach and intestines. Ingested fluoride forms hydrofluoric acid in the stomach. In this form, fluoride crosses cell membranes and then binds with calcium and interfere with various enzymes. Fluoride is excreted through urine. Fluoride exposure limits are based on urine testing which has determined the human body's capacity for ridding itself of fluoride.
Ok, this doesn't bode well. So fluorine may be poisonous.

Back to the article, this.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Just thought I'd point out that, while there is no conclusive evidence that fluoride in toothpaste or water is actually beneficial to your teeth, it is a proven fact that excessive use of fluoride can lead to fluoride toxicity, a serious type of poisoning. Although the drinking water might not be a major influence, the crazy amounts of fluoride in toothpaste has the potential to lead to these problems, problems that definitely exist and can occur.

So you've got a maybe helpful side vs. a definitely harmful side. Just doesn't really warrant it's use based on a 'maybe'.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Firecat, everything is made of chemicals. The air you breath is a chemical. A whole bunch of them actually.

And if you drink absolutely pure water you are probably going to die as well because it doesnt have too good of an effect on your body either. The water we drink is mixed with all sorts of good stuff. Many minerals and chemicals substantial to our bodies.

What i meant when i said "chemicals" in our water was a little bit different. Fluoride isnt a chemical you find too easily in nature pure. And you dont find too much of it in natural water sources (maybe in some, who knows). And mixing it in artificially is wrong in my opinion.

FireCat

Reaction score
I don't agree with everything you've said, but I do agree with.
Well, basically,.. I would say that some "chemicals are good, while others are bad" and other Moar dangerous chemicals that "can screw up your health." Btw,: The water we drink is mixed with bad and good thing. Well, don't forget the water we drink, requires a far higher "grade" of treatment.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
That's still ambiguous, since all chemicals can screw up your health. Homeostasis takes place so that they don't.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree with everything you've said, but I do agree with.
Well, basically,.. I would say that some "chemicals are good, while others are bad" and other Moar dangerous chemicals that "can screw up your health." Btw,: The water we drink is mixed with bad and good thing. Well, don't forget the water we drink, requires a far higher "grade" of treatment.
There is no such thing as "bad" and "good" when speaking about chemicals. They are just like tools.
And every chemical component has some effect on you, and the effect of every chemical component on your body varies depending on the amount of intake.
Drink too much water => you die.
Drink a very tiny bit of acid => nothing happens, you might even feel better then before.

I am just against artificially adding chemicals to food/drinks to get some kind of benefit out of it. If fluoride was in all drinking water naturally i wouldnt be against it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.