Has Anyone Seen This?

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Oh no, SC2 GUI is MUCH better than WC3 GUI. Improved to the point that I'd recommend it to people whom are just starting triggering (as opposed to have done WC3 GUI before. At that point, just move to scripting.).

ZugZugZealot

Reaction score
GUI has been improved with one non-GUI related change. Garbage collection removes the needs to destroy certain things, though destroying handles in Warcraft III should have been there for GUI to begin with. Native struct support (records in GUI) is new to both GUI and scripts. You can make action definitions (custom function without a return) and custom functions. Native support for multi-dimensional arrays (new to both GUI and script). The list goes on for nice things added to GUI.

However, there are some things GUI is missing, ignoring the fact typing out code is generally faster than clicking and typing code. Custom functions cannot be called unless they're being set to a value. You can't use variables (namely constants) for declaring index size of arrays, which is useful to have because there are generally more steps to increasing an array's size than just its index (such as code checks to see if adding a value will exceed the array's limit). You cannot create triggers from code in GUI and you cannot add events to a trigger from code.

XxMayhemxX

Reaction score
I can see his point tho...

Im making new upgrades for all Terran man and vehicles... And for each level of each one, I have to click through multiple things in Data.. Upgrades/Requirements/Abilities/Units AND multiple dialog boxes i have to go through INSIDE each one of those... I can only imagine how tedious it would be to do that for all races and all upgrades lol

I'm doing this right now.. as i post im taking a break... lol

I think what Lyerae was referring to was... imagine if we had large all encompassing script text editor(alongside the GUI) where we could find a line/word/ etc. and paste in the lines we need... While the GUI is very user friendly, it may be faster for some with wayyyyyyyyyyyy less clicks, dialog boxes, scroll bars, ok buttons...

I could copy and paste lines and go through each section Requirments/Abilities/Upgrades Ctrl-Ving Terran Infantry Weapons Lvl 4 into each area much faster...

I think thats what he's getting at... depends on the person tho i guess...

onisagi

Reaction score
It would be nice if they added User modes to the editor like "Normal/Advance". And each tier would show/hide features depending on the type of user. Programmers would change to Advance mode and have access to a raw galaxy/xml editor that auto-imports, and beginners would only have access to the layers, triggers, and maybe data module.

I don't really see anything that can't be done outside of the GUI that you can do inside, in some cases it might have to be a custom implementation vs Blizz's default stuff. I think their intention is to let you make it from scratch.

Not sure if this is said already, but blizzard said they have no intentions of implementing a script editor into GE that can directly manipulate script/data. That just means modders that want more functionality will just use the GE for terraining and unit/doodad placement, and do everything else externally. Maybe we can get them to change their mind over time? :shades:

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I still consider myself programming when using SC2 Editor. I don't understand these people who are so anal when they start talking about it being a scripting language vs a programing language.

Maybe thats because I'm used to Java but does scripting vs programming really change the problem at hand?

they're not progamming lenguages!;)

Did you suck at spelling or are you trying to make some joke about them being pro-gaming languages (lenguages) ?

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
You can't and I believe Blizzard said that they wouldn't implement straight coding into the editor.
That's a joke, right?
These gui "scripts" are about as bloated as back in the days of the WE.
Whenever some more complex mechanics are sought after, proper scripting remains the only (and most efficient) option.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
That's a joke, right?
These gui "scripts" are about as bloated as back in the days of the WE.
Whenever some more complex mechanics are sought after, proper scripting remains the only (and most efficient) option.

No, it's not a joke. But don't worry, there will be alternatives.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.