has anyone seen this

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
When you open a folder, the area where you are supposed to see the files shows up grey sometimes with a black X at the top left corner. If you click on the X do the files or icons show up. Other times the grey area appears but without the X. If you position your mouse anywhere on the grey area, and right click on it you get a button to appear with the word close. If you push the buttion then all the files/icons appear.

I was helping a friend install DX8.1 and the 23.11 GeForce video drivers.

Before we started he had 4 picture bmp files he wanted to show me, so and I changed his view to "as web page" so we could see previews of the pictures.

Next downloaded and installed DirectX8.1

Next Downloaded and installed Nvidia 23.11 drivers.

He changed his Reolution to 1024 x 768 and attemped to change the scaling of the icons, this seemed to crash the computer. So we installed an older 7.72 driver.

After doing all of this is when a folder was opened the area that should have had the file detaila/icon area show up grey. We unchecked the view as web page but it is still doing this.

Does anyone know how to change this so the files automatically are listed without having to hit an X, or right click in the grey area and push on the close button?

His operating system is windows98 (Not SE), had a Intel P2 500mhz CPU with 256Meg Ram.

T'k

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Bumping again

The only reply I have gotten on this was on the OTS forum, and it suggest restoring the registry to the Day before we installed the DirectX drivers which would be Tuesday Dec 4. However his Dell computer only keeps 5 daily backups of the registry file and the the Dec 4th file (that is the day we installed DX 8.1 and the Drivers) is no longer available.

I was wondering if running the system file checker might help to solve the problem, or would it create more problems since the system is almost 3 years old and has had many window update patched installed.

I

Ion-Silverbolt

Unfortunately the system file checker can't fix a corrupted registry. You also have to update the SFC occasionally to recognize new system files as well.

The best place to try and fix it is mess with what caused it to crash to begin with. You said changing the icon size or spacing caused the system to crash. This is likely what corrupted the registry. Changing the values back to default may fix it. If you're unable to scale them, the easiest thing to try would be to select the Windows Standard Theme under the appearance tab under your display properties. It uses the default size and spacing for icons. Regclean may also help, but it's a roll of the dice.

You might also try removing all traces of detonator drivers. Run detonator destroyer and then go for the 21.83 WHQL detonator drivers. You can get both from below.

http://www.guru3d.com/files/detonator/

Hope that helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.