Hashtable Leak

colinjames12

Reaction score
This question is for "experts or anybody who knows how hashtables work" only. If you'll look closely on the trigger, you won't see any custom scripts that will remove any possible leaks in it. All I did was clear all the child hashtables in the hashtable. My question is, will it remove all the leaks in the trigger or should I put a call RemoveLocation, call DestroyGroup, etc?
Trigger:
  • aoe spell Copy 5
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in aoegroup_Copy_4 and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set aoetime = (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) from aoehashtable)
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) from aoehashtable) Equal to 1.20
            • Then - Actions
              • Set aoetargetgroup_Copy = (Units within 1500.00 of (Load 3 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and ((((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Picked unit))) Equal t
              • Hashtable - Save Handle Ofaoetargetgroup_Copy as 4 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Load 4 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Set aoetargetpoint = (Position of (Picked unit))
                  • Hashtable - Save Handle Ofaoetargetpoint as 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable
                  • Unit - Create 1 Fire Embrace for (Owner of aoeunit) at (Load 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) facing (Facing of (Picked unit)) degrees
                  • Unit - Add a 1.25 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
                  • Unit - Create 1 Fire Embrace Aura for (Owner of aoeunit) at (Load 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) facing (Facing of (Picked unit)) degrees
                  • Unit - Create 1 Fire Embrace Aura for (Owner of aoeunit) at (Load 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) facing (Facing of (Picked unit)) degrees
              • Hashtable - Save (aoetime - 0.03) as 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) from aoehashtable) Less than 1.20
                  • (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) from aoehashtable) Greater than 0.00
                • Then - Actions
                • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) from aoehashtable) Equal to 0.00
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Load 4 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) and do (Actions)
                    • Loop - Actions
                      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Load 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) using Abilities\Weapons\DemolisherFireMissile\DemolisherFireMissile.mdl
                      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
                      • Unit - Create 1 Fire Embrace Explode for (Owner of aoeunit) at (Load 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) facing (Facing of aoeunit) degrees
                      • Unit - Kill (Last created unit)
                      • Hashtable - Clear all child hashtables of child (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable
                  • Unit Group - Remove (Picked unit) from aoegroup_Copy_4
                  • Hashtable - Clear all child hashtables of child (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable
                • Else - Actions

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
Since you're using the variables directly from the hashtable, I suppose it doesn't leak, but you might want to clear this unit group variable, aoetargetgroup_Copy using call DestroyGroup.

colinjames12

Reaction score
But i used the variable, aoetargetgroup_Copy directly from the hashtable. Should I still use call DestroyGroup?

NotInTheFace

Reaction score
Yes, you still have to destroy groups, locations, etc. Clearing the hashtable values only removes the references stored in the hashtable.

colinjames12

Reaction score
Then where shall I put it then to make the spell MUI? What will I put in the custom script to destroy only the unit group, locations of a certain picked unit. It's hard to explain but I hope you'll understand.

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
For Handles (Groups, Locations, etc), Hashtables merely store a reference to that specific handle. Basically, the Hashtable is merely pointing to your Handle variables and not physically storing them. Clearing a Hashtable merely removes this reference but your Handle still exists. Clearing a Hashtable will not destroy/remove handles. Thus, you still need to destroy groups and such. Just an add-on to NotInTheFace's reply.

Destroying unit is group done by [ljass]DestroyGroup()[/ljass]. All you have to do is clear the Hashtable and remove/destroy handles per normal.

colinjames12

Reaction score
Ok that's exactly the answer that I was looking for but if I'm gonna destroy the unit group in a hashtable, would it be like destroying a unit group variable with an array? I've already done what you said Ayanami but it doesn't make the spell that I'm making MUI. I need it to be MUI so where should I exactly put it?
Shall I put it here? Cause I have a new unit group variable and a new point variable every 0.03 sec.
Trigger:
    • If - Conditions
    • (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) from aoehashtable) Equal to 1.20
    • Then - Actions
    • Set aoetargetgroup_Copy = (Units within 1500.00 of (Load 3 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and ((((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Picked unit))) Equal t
    • Hashtable - Save Handle Ofaoetargetgroup_Copy as 4 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable
    • Loop - Actions
    • Set aoetargetpoint = (Position of (Picked unit))
    • Hashtable - Save Handle Ofaoetargetpoint as 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable
    • Unit - Create 1 Fire Embrace for (Owner of aoeunit) at (Load 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) facing (Facing of (Picked unit)) degrees

Or here where you said I should put it?
Trigger:
    • If - Conditions
    • (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) from aoehashtable) Equal to 0.00
    • Then - Actions
    • Loop - Actions
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Load 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) using Abilities\Weapons\DemolisherFireMissile\DemolisherFireMissile.mdl
    • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
    • Unit - Create 1 Fire Embrace Explode for (Owner of aoeunit) at (Load 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable) facing (Facing of aoeunit) degrees
    • Unit - Kill (Last created unit)
    • Unit Group - Remove (Picked unit) from aoegroup_Copy_4

Edit: I saw a thread in hiveworkshop with a similar question that I have. And it says to destroy a unit group, I should put this custom script.
Trigger:
  • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(LoadGroupHandle(0, GetHandleId(GetTriggerUnit()), udg_Hashtable))

But I'm not sure where to put the name of my unit group variable and my hashtable. This was exactly the answer that I was looking for but I still need help here. Same with removing locations, I also need help with that.

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure storing Handle variables will not make it MUI. Since the Hashtable stores the Handles by reference, making changes to that certain global variable will affect your "stored" value. For example, let's say you have a Point variable called "TempPoint". First, you set TempPoint = Location A and then store it inside key 0, 0. Then you set TempPoint to some other location. This will affect the value stored inside the key 0, 0 of the Hashtable. This is because the Hashtable only stores the reference to the handle variable, and not physically store it. Only non-handles (integer, real, boolean, etc) are stored physically I believe.

So, the solution would to use local variables. However, another way would be to store the value directly, without storing it inside a global variable.

Trigger:
  • Hashtable - Save Handle (Position of (Picked unit)) as 5 of (Key (Picked unit)) in aoehashtable

The above uses "Position of (Picked Unit)" directly, instead of a global variable. And to clear memory:

Trigger:
  • call RemoveLocation(LoadLocationHandle(udg_aoehashtable, parentKey, childKey))

parentKey and childKey is basically your 2 keys for your hashtable. Do note that using this custom script causes an reverse of what you use in GUI. In GUI, it's childKey first, followed by parentKey (if I'm not wrong). And with that, you remove the location. All that's left is to clear the child hashtable.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Following this logic, if you decide to change the value stored in 5 of (Key (Picked unit)), you have to clear the leak with RemoveLocation first.

colinjames12

Reaction score
At Ayanami, but it works just fine as MUI. You mean I have to change all my triggers?
And what about this?
Trigger:
  • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(LoadGroupHandle(0, GetHandleId(GetTriggerUnit()), udg_Hashtable))

If this is how to destroy a unit group saved in a hashtable, shouldn't this be the way you destroy a location saved in a hashtable?
Trigger:
  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(LoadLocationHandle(0, GetHandleId(GetTriggerUnit()), udg_Hashtable))

I'm not really sure whose idea I'm gonna follow

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.