Having a problem with The Xtra Editors for Mac

U

Unregistered

I have tried downloading X-tra Editor, the map color thing, Staredit Emerald, and a couple other programs. It downloads them but when i try opening them it brings up a message that says, "There is no default application specified to open the document (name of editor)" So which application am i missing to run these programs. Remember, I have a mac.

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
They aren't designed to run with a Mac.
You can only use the Emerald Editor version for mac.

U

Unregistered

I downloaded Staredit Emerald, but it still brings up the message when i try opening it.

U

Unregistered

I have experienced your same pain (having a mac and what not).

But through it I have prevailed.Make sure your downloading the Emerald Edit from a good site such as this one:

http://customs.hyberia.com/util/

There now. You have Emerald. Rejoice. But, you say you want Xtra edit for the mac?!! and people say you cant do it?! Bull. I say you can, and heres how:

(1) http://customs.hyberia.com/util/ <<<<< Go here
(2) Download MaGZ's Emerald Aspect Patches
(3) Go into the Emerald Aspect Folder, and rename EA 2.0 r1 XE.mpq to StarCraft Mac Patch.
(4) Make a folder called 'Patch Backup' and put your old Starcraft mac patch in it
(5) put your NEWLY named StarCraft Mac Patch into the starcraft files folder and just click on you staredit. It will boot the extra edit

Now what I use (as a map maker) is Emerald. I find no use for the Xtra edit, except for if you want to put units REAAALLY close together.

Now if you want to play starcraft, you have to put the regular StarCraft Mac Patch back in you starcraft files (it wont play with the Xtra edit patch there). so just make sure you save both of them

Yours Truly

Grote (The Mac Master.)

U

Unregistered

THANKS!!! It does work!!! I just have one more question about Staredit Emerald. Is there anyway to make the square tiles instead of the diamond tiles that are in the regular staredit?!?! I am trying to make a bound and that's usually the type of tyles they use in a bound. Thanks again for telling me how to get Staredit emerald!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :)

U

Unregistered

I don't think it works with mac, I tried opening it and it didnt work. Also next to the file it said .exe and that meens it is for windows.

P

PyroRat

try guedit it was made in java it looks like so it should work on any computer with a java vm installed (you can get them free from http://java.sun.com its a very lagy program but it will let you place square tiles of all sorts

U

Unregistered

Yea, there is no way (without an emulator of some sort) to open GUEedit, or watever. Im the guy from a couple posts above, believe you me, I know what can and cant be used with macs, gue edit is not one of them, being it has the ending .exe,

.exe programs cant be run with mac. even if you have java... so sorry, if you want to make a bound, its prolly not gonna work... unless someone programs a gue edit of sorts for the mac. I doubt........

P

PyroRat

i know they cnat run .exe thats mircosoft trash saoftware but the Guedit that i have ends in .jar so i believe it can run in mac

U

Unregistered

Do you know which sight you got the Guedit in Java from?

U

Unregistered

Do you know which sight you got the Guedit in Java from?

U

Unregistered

I downloaded the GUedit, and it is a .jar file. I double clicked on it and the main menu opened up fine, but when i tryed loading a map it brought up a message that says, "402: MPQ2K not installed correctly." So then i clicked "Ok" and then it brought up another error. This error said, "405: Unable to start mpq2k. class java.io.IOE.lOException:mpq2k\mpq2k: not found. So i dont know if i did something wrong. Another question, how do i get Xtra-Editor for mac?
Well, Thanks

P

PyroRat

did u put it in the corect place? when i first got the program it took me 4ever to get it to stop making those messages

U

Unregistered

Im not sure where the correct place is. The thing is, is that inside the GUEdit folder there is another folder named MPQ2K. Well, inside the MPQ2K folder are some more files but the files all end in .exe. So i went to custom.hyberia.com/util/ and downloaded the Mac version of MPQ2K there. But now when i try opening it with the Mac version of MPQ2K inside of the GUEdit folder it brings up a different message. This new message says, "405: Unable to start mpq2k. class java.lOException:mpq2k\mpq2k: not found. So im just wondering if the Mac version of mp2k on custom.hyberia can replace the other one that came inside of the guedit folder, and if it can then why isnt it working?
Thanks

U

Unregistered

ooh man, if you get that to work post it asaaaap. Ive always wanted to use GUEdit...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.