General HBO Canceled Game of Thrones Prequel Even After Spending $30m on Pilot

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
HBO’s first run at a Game of Thrones prequel was ultimately canceled after they spent a staggering $30 million on a pilot episode. During an interview with James Andrew Miller in his new book, Tinderbox: HBO's Ruthless Pursuit of New Frontiers, former WarnerMedia chairman Bob Greenblatt revealed what happened with the canceled Game of Thrones series.

“They had spent over $30 million on a Game of Thrones prequel pilot that was in production when I got there,” he said. “And when I saw a cut of it in a few months after I arrived, I said to Casey, 'This just doesn't work, and I don't think it delivers on the promise of the original series.' And he didn't disagree, which actually was a relief.”

Casey Bloys is HBO’s chief content officer and was on hand to oversee Game of Thrones when it finally came to an end after an eight-season run.

"We unfortunately decided to pull the plug on it,” explained Greenblatt. “There was enormous pressure to get it right and I don't think that would have worked.”

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.