Headphones Keep Whistling

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
As the title says, my Razer Moray headphones are rather whistling or, making a high-pitch sound, constantly when I use them with my laptop.

Oddly enough, my other headphones are dead silent (some kind of Acme headphones, which are quite larger) when I plug them in.

I don't know if that's needed, but the laptop I use is ACER AS1810TZ OLYMPIC
(the page is in Estonian but I'm sure all the stats are quite clear and if not, I can translate them) with 64-bit Windows 7 installed.

The ambient sound is non-dependent on the program I use to listen to my music.

This is rather frustrating and keeps driving me crazy, so any help or advice appreciated.

Those headphones weren't that cheap and I hope I haven't cocked it up with this purchase...

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds like the kind of thing that my old TV used to do from time to time. I think it's caused by some of the internal electronics, but I'm not up on the specifics. I found that giving my TV some percussive maintenance (I.E hitting it sharply) would cause it to go away for a while. Hard to tell for your headphones without hearing it, though. Does it happen on other computers?

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
It's because your headphones are Razer brand :thup:

But seriously ... did you try them on other electronics? This can help us differentiate if it's definitely the headset or if it's the headset's connection to the specific computer.

EDIT: Derp, didn't see Ghan already ask it.

-OverpoweR-

Reaction score
Uhm, hey,you should try to disable your microphone ;) in volume control of your lap top,at least thats what i did when i started to hear that annoying sound :(

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
If you purchased them recently, aren't they in warranty?

First try them with another computer. Although because you said that other headphones work correctly, I am already guessing that there is an issue with the headphones.

Are you sure you inserted the jack all the way in? (sorry, but I have to make sure, some jacks are a bit bulkier than usual so they are not easy to plug in; also, are you sure the jack type fits the sound socket type on your laptop? Usually, they are in 3.5mm type).

If yes, does the sound gets changed when you move the cable of the headphones? Try to twist it, check a few centimeters at a time, start with the jack and go all the way to the end, at the headphones. If it gets changed while you twist in a certain spot, then the cables might be damaged or the left and right cables touch each other.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, but nothing recommended has worked.

I tried the headphones with my PC and they were dead-silent. Tried twisting and rotating the wires, still nothing. Yes, they're all the way plugged in.

Disabling the microphone did nothing, too.

I've searched a little bit and ground loop isolators might solve the problem, but I'm not too familiar with fiddling with this kind of tech.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Does it makes any difference if the laptop battery power cable is connected or not?

However, the fact that they worked well with another PC and that other headphones work well with your laptop is most intriguing.

I found a thread that might have some interesting information, on another forum, here.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
It's probably radio signal interference. Try putting a washer around the cord so it's pressed up against your laptop. This is a common problem with many computer cases.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.