Defense Hell Defense v1.0

jaybles169

Reaction score
e424e833fc90403b4187d02488501ff1.png

Hey guys.

This is a map that I spent a greater portion of my sophomore year of college (600+ hours) making. I made it primarily because I loved the old school Hero Defense games, but none of them were ever balanced extensively and they had like 40 characters that had zero thought put into them. So I thought "What the hell I'll make my own". It has been an amazing experience and I attribute much of the success of this map to everyone on TheHelper.net. I spent countless hours pouring over old forum posts to find out how to use the WC3 Editor, and there is no doubt in my mind that without these forums I would have given up shortly after starting. There are still a bunch of features I wanted to add as well as many that I wanted to perfect, but I just don't have the time anymore to put into it.

Give it a few play-thrus and let me know what you think. Average play time is around 1h 15m or so. There are a few known bugs and some unfinished tooltips (mostly lore-based descriptions); I haven't done any updating in a very long time and don't really plan on it unless enough people end up enjoying it quite a bit.

Here are a few of the features:

-Single Player (single and double hero) and Multiplayer capabilities
-8 Custom Heroes, each with their own play style
-Dynamic creep health based on # of players
-Dynamic leaderboard that includes real-time HP and MP percentages of all players
-15 standard "creep-wave" levels, followed by 5 much more challenging "up-hill battle" levels
-Tons of custom items, including Epic Sets and Unique Weapons
-Emphasis on gaining gear rather than pure tome stacking
-Several mini-bosses, as well as 3 fun and challenging boss fights (that hopefully won't bug! :p)
-Unique target-healing system through the use of spellbooks (for the love of god, please read the tooltips) to make healing other players much easier

I dare you to try and beat it single player/single hero on anything harder than normal. I've done it so it is possible, but I've also played/tested it easily 100+ times.

Good luck and have fun! :thup:

Jaybles

(I submitted the map officially tonight so it's still under review or whatever, but I'll attach the file as well.)
View attachment Hell Defense v1.01.w3x

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
Uh, can I ask why it's protected? I mean I don't care, I'm just too lazy to actually find the map in my create game thing, I just wanted to hit the test then go.

jaybles169

Reaction score
I guess I just didn't want anyone to snag it. But the more I think about it, the less I care. I'll swap it out the attachment.

It shrinks the map size too, but I guess its not that big anyway.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Nice enough map. I liked the Banshee wave (and how creeps beeline to the leak if they get too far), that was rather creative (if frustrating :D). The Paladin seems overpowered, and the Tauren underpowered. My friend and I beat it on Easy with the Mountain King and Demon Hunter. Overall I was a little disappointed that the abilities were mostly stock from WC3, but the gameplay was OK.

The items were fairly samey although the +damage -AS balance on the special drops was kind of neat.

Creeps still spawned at Bob's Relic Shop even after we destroyed the structure; bug?

Several times, Lifeless continued ticking on a boss even after the buff wore off; bug?

What's the point of defeating the bosses behind the Hero Gate? Nothing appeared to happen.

The wisps in the final boss fight seemed awfully inconsistent, sometimes helping sometimes hurting even when we matched their color with our positioning. Maybe check it for bugs? Also, it would be nice to be notified that you won't respawn from the timer while a boss is engaged (or just stop the timer).

jaybles169

Reaction score
Thanks for playing :D

Interesting you thought the Tauren was underpowered. I feel like he's one of my favorites and one of the strongest with his high crit chance. You can get him critting over 10k pretty easy, and his AoE stun is pretty strong throughout the game. As for the Paladin, he's interesting. I see him more as a support / healer character, so I guess he could be OP in the amount of heals he can dish out, but not so much in terms of damage dealt. If you play with more than two players it gets fun trying to keep heals up on the whole team, and having more than one Paladin on a team would be a huge waste of DPS that is much needed.

Did you use the heal-targeting system at all? What did you think of it?

Depending on what items you saw drop, I tried to incorporate some sort of special skill on each one of the special weapons...One of them can rez the entire team on use, one blinks, one AoE silences (good for Balnazaar fight), etc. But yeah I agree on the Set items, it really comes down to wanting the Str set for survivability or the Int set for mana...the Agi set doesn't offer too much once you get late game even if you're an agility character.

The creeps literally at Bob's Relic Shop still spawned? Or the ones before / beyond it? There are four spawns to shut off before you get beyond that first gate, then the one at the Relic Shop should shut off the narrow passage way spawns, then there are two beyond that need to be shut off. If the ones at the Shop didn't stop, that is very odd and I've never had that happened. Unless you blew it up before shutting off the 4 before it, which may have caused some logic issues. I'll have to double check on that.

Lifeless and the rejuvenation pot's both bug out from time to time (which isn't a bad thing for the person using them haha). I believe it's because of the way I tried to make them; with a int counter and the Wait function, which I was told isn't a good idea back when I first made them. I did this entire map with the GUI so I was relatively restricted in what I could do. Which kind of plays into your point about the stock skills. I had tried making a few custom skills but never got the hang of it, and never got into jass or vjass so I just kept it as simple as I could.

Once you kill Lucifer, you blow up the Gate or Portal or whatever it is in the corner and then that ends the game. Lucifer was supposed to be the "final boss". Guess I could have sent out some quest text saying to attack the gate. I make a note of that.

The wisps are supposed to be kited around the back of the Altars of their respective color. If they get too close to the Hero it is chasing, it blows up and does a lot of AoE. If you get it behind the altar, it hurts the boss for a % damage. I think I understand your issue, I should probably move the altars outward a bit more to make the kiting easier since its such a narrow space.

I'll make a note to add to the text that shows upon entering a boss zone that you won't rez while fighting a boss.

Thanks again for playing it and for the great feedback! Let me know if you end up playing it more and if you come across any other issues.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Interesting you thought the Tauren was underpowered. I feel like he's one of my favorites and one of the strongest with his high crit chance. You can get him critting over 10k pretty easy, and his AoE stun is pretty strong throughout the game.
So, he's a carry? We never got that far; at the start, his abilities cost almost all his mana. For two players, that just isn't viable.

Did you use the heal-targeting system at all? What did you think of it?
I didn't play any healers, and my friend says: "never used it, I don't have time to go into a menu; having to figure out whether the guy with the low health bar is player 1 or player 2 is a bit urnf especially when surrounded by mobs."

The creeps literally at Bob's Relic Shop still spawned?
We destroyed the building next to his shop, and enemies were popping into existence where it used to be for quite some time afterward. (Dunno if their cessation was due to destroying anything else; didn't pay close enough attention.)

Once you kill Lucifer, you blow up the Gate or Portal or whatever it is in the corner and then that ends the game. Lucifer was supposed to be the "final boss". Guess I could have sent out some quest text saying to attack the gate. I make a note of that.
Oh, figuring out to attack Lucifer's portal was no problem. That was obvious. I was talking about the infernal and the hydra behind the town.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    And our actual cooks aren't really trained for that. Our line lead will be fine but our tournant is still kind of struggling with some things and he takes mistakes way too hard. I got onto him about scorching pans when making cream sauces and he started fucking everything else up, like dude it's fine just turn your heat down a bit. And then he burned like three batches of couscous in a row and it's like man
  • Varine Varine:
    He walked away from the first batch, learned nothing and walked away from the second batch, and then tried to toast it in a saute pan made out of aluminum so it scorched immediately and then I took away and he was sad all day
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    I know our range sucks but it's still a fucking fire down there, I've never measured it but I'm sure it's like a couple thousand degrees.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I wish I had a flat top grill in my kitchen!
  • jonas jonas:
    I wish I could cook asian dishes :D
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You just need a pressure cooker like an instapot for the asian dishes
  • The Helper The Helper:
    they make that stuff easy
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and there is a flat top grill I can buy that will work on my stovetop but it is pricey
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and I have no room for that anyway
  • Varine Varine:
    I have a thing that goes over two burners for my house, but it doesn't work great. I think they make ones that plug in where the coils go but it's not cheap.
  • Varine Varine:
    And yeah if you have a pressure cooker you can do lots of stuff really fast. Depending on what you're trying to do it ranges from really easy to really hard
  • Varine Varine:
    If you want to make tonkotsu broth, you're gonna have a rough time, but if you want to do like stir fries or something that tends to be pretty easy
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Ingredients are sometimes hard to find though, which is why we're doing 'fusion'. We don't have wok burners either, so it'll be kind of a weird transition
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Added another slow cooker recipe - this time a dessert - Slow Cooker Fried Apples https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-slow-cooker-cracker-barrel-fried-apples.192860/
  • Varine Varine:
    I have three teenagers apply for college that all asked for letters of recommendation with like two days notice lol. Like I get it guys, and I'm happy to help, but maybe tell me you need it before you need to turn these applications in?
  • Varine Varine:
    I guess they are literal children, so not exactly the best at thinking ahead. Fucking kids
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Yeah they are just inexperienced and young
  • jonas jonas:
    I'm still horrible at that :eek: often forget things or do things on the last minute
  • The Helper The Helper:
    My daughter is same way
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Saturday people!!!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am sure nobody cares but I am seriously considering taking the Gaming News forum and just changing it to General Gaming Discussion since I post so much about gaming in the General Discussion Forum
  • The Helper The Helper:
    guests online 487 at 12:30 and none of them show up on the stats - all bots man
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Latest recipe is a great one - I love Philly Cheese and this is Philly Cheese Meatloaf https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-philly-cheese-meatloaf.192935/
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Beep boop
    +2

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.