Help Creating Custom Spells for Hero

imakunee

Reaction score
So I had an idea for a hero with 4 spells. Each spell toggles on and off a certain aura where you can only have 1 aura at a time. Depending on which aura you have active, the hero gets another ability with some related effect.

For example, I have brilliance aura on and create a mana elemental that mana burns stuff. Then I switch to a health regeneration aura that gives me holy light. So on so forth.

Thing is, I would like it so that the aura switching is instant but the abilities save their cooldowns. I thought I might be able to manage this using 'disable ability for player' but it's not working. Also, the abilities don't switch.

So, what exactly does disabling a spell do and do you know a good way to do this?

Here is one example of a trigger I'm using.

Trigger:
  • Brilliance Aura
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Brilliance Aura
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove Aura Channeling from (Casting unit)
      • Player - Disable Exploding Implantations for (Owner of (Casting unit))
      • Player - Disable Kinetic Bolt for (Owner of (Casting unit))
      • Player - Disable Positive Focus for (Owner of (Casting unit))
      • Player - Enable Summon Mana Orb for (Owner of (Casting unit))
      • Hashtable - Save 0 as (Key Exploding) of (Key (Casting unit)) in HeroPowersHashtable
      • Unit - Set level of Summon Mana Orb for (Casting unit) to (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Casting unit))
      • Unit - Remove Alacrity Aura Spellbook from (Casting unit)
      • Unit - Remove Hardiness Aura Spellbook from (Casting unit)
      • Unit - Add Brilliance Aura Spellbook to (Casting unit)
      • Player - Disable Brilliance Aura Spellbook for (Owner of (Casting unit))
      • Unit - Set level of Brilliance Aura (Aura) for (Casting unit) to (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Casting unit))
      • Hashtable - Save (Level of (Ability being cast) for (Casting unit)) as (Key AuraMasterBrilliance) of (Key (Owner of (Casting unit))) in HeroPowersHashtable

The big problem I'm having is that when I cast to switch between auras, the spell doesn't change nor do I get a new aura. The first time I activate an aura, though, it works fine.

RangerX

I am justice!
Reaction score
why not removing and adding them to the unit when you remove-add an spell the cooldown of that spell is reseted

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe use dummy researches? Like something named "Requires Brilliance Aura", add it as a requirement to the ability related to Brilliance Aura. And just set the research level for that player to 0 or 1 to disable / enable the ability.

imakunee

Reaction score
why not removing and adding them to the unit when you remove-add an spell the cooldown of that spell is reseted

Sorry, I wanted the spells to not reset in cooldown when you get them again. Kind of like invoker in dota you can re achieve a spell that you already cast but it still has its cooldown that you left it at. Thank you for the reply though.

Hmm, maybe use dummy researches? Like something named "Requires Brilliance Aura", add it as a requirement to the ability related to Brilliance Aura. And just set the research level for that player to 0 or 1 to disable / enable the ability.

Would that make the ability invisible? 'Cause that's something I forgot to mention in the original post. I only have room for 5 abilities and 4 of them need to be the aura powers so I just had the 5th ability slot change between the spells.

Edit: I think I understand what you meant now RangerX. Your English was a little off there and it confused me. Did you mean to track the cooldown of the spells and only return them when the cooldown is up?

imakunee

Reaction score
Ok, I've figured out the problem. I forgot that when you base multiple spells off the same spell, when you try to cast one, the unit casts all of the spells based off the same spell.

In this case, that spell is Channel, which all my aura switching abilities are based off of.

Any ideas how to work around this? I've tried changing the "Text - Order String - Use/Turn On" of each ability to some other random ability and the problem still exists.

bump

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.