help! need to remove damage stacking from my triggered lightning shield

Maelbog

Reaction score
I made a custom ability using triggers which appears to put lightning shield on a unit, damaging enemies of the caster but not the actual target. I have to trigger this because i want it to deal damage every 0.1 second. Also i don't want the target unit to suffer, only the surrounding enemy units.
From my current trigger, multiple shields on a single target stacks, causing it to deal more damage than intended.
Here's my trigger.

Code:
ElectronCloudCast
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Electron Cloud
    Actions
        Set Temp_Point = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 ElectronCloudDummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Temp_Point facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Add a 20.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Set the custom value of (Last created unit) to ((((Level of Electron Cloud  for (Triggering unit)) - 1) x 2) + 1)
        Set ElectronCloudInstance = (ElectronCloud + 1)
        Set ElectronCloudCarrier[ElectronCloudInstance] = (Target unit of ability being cast)
        Set ElectronCloudDamager[ElectronCloudInstance] = (Last created unit)
        Custom script:  call RemoveLocation(udg_Temp_Point)
        Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of ElectronCloudCarrier[ElectronCloudInstance] using Abilities\Spells\Human\ManaShield\ManaShieldCaster.mdl
        Set ElectronCloudSFX[ElectronCloudInstance] = (Last created special effect)

Code:
ElectronCloudPeriodic
    Events
        Time - Every 0.10 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to ElectronCloudInstance, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        Or - Any (Conditions) are true
                            Conditions
                                (ElectronCloudDamager[(Integer A)] is alive) Equal to True
                                (ElectronCloudCarrier[(Integer A)] is alive) Equal to True
                    Then - Actions
                        Set Temp_Point = (Position of ElectronCloudCarrier[(Integer A)])
                        Set Temp_Group = (Units within 250.00 of Temp_Point matching ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of ElectronCloudDamager[(Integer A)])) Equal to True) and ((Matching unit) Not equal to ElectronCloudCarrier[(Integer A)])))
                        Unit Group - Pick every unit in Temp_Group and do (Actions)
                            Loop - Actions
                                Unit - Cause ElectronCloudDamager[(Integer A)] to damage (Picked unit), dealing (Real((Custom value of ElectronCloudDamager[(Integer A)]))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
                        Custom script:  call RemoveLocation(udg_Temp_Point)
                        Custom script:  call DestroyGroup(udg_Temp_Group)
                    Else - Actions
                        Set ElectronCloudCarrier[(Integer A)] = No unit
                        Set ElectronCloudDamager[(Integer A)] = No unit
                        Special Effect - Destroy ElectronCloudSFX[(Integer A)]

I know that i have to somehow remove the respective dummy damager to make it seem to not stack, but i don't know how because i used array instances.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hm. Why not just use the normal Lightning Shield spell and set its damage to 0. The every 0.1 second check if the unit has the Lightning Shield buff. If yes then do nothing.

If:
Unit has Lightning Shield buff
Then:
----
Else:
The rest of your actions

Maelbog

Reaction score
I think it'll only prevent units to cast more than one lightning shield on a unit at the same time.
I want players to replace others' lightning shield with their own lightning shield.
The cooldown of the ability is fast enough to allow a unit to cast lightning shield twice on the same unit, however i wish to refresh the buff instead of making it stack.
If a unit cast lightning shield on two different units, if they are close enough, i want enemies to get twice the damage.

I made a temporary solution for this.
A unit starts the effect of an ability
Ability being cast is equal to Electron Cloud
Unit - Remove ElectronCloudDamager[Custom value of target unit of ability being cast]
Set the custom value of the target unit of ability being cast to ElectronCloudInstance.

Xan_Kriegor

I can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The cooldown of the ability is fast enough to allow a unit to cast lightning shield twice on the same unit, however i wish to refresh the buff instead of making it stack.
If a unit cast lightning shield on two different units, if they are close enough, i want enemies to get twice the damage.

From my understanding of how the Lightning Shield spell works, that is how it's done. Whenever you cast spells in WC3 that apply buffs, they always override and use the new duration, they don't add on. Similarly, having multiple LS's should do more damage to any intersecting units.

Maelbog

Reaction score
From my understanding of how the Lightning Shield spell works, that is how it's done. Whenever you cast spells in WC3 that apply buffs, they always override and use the new duration, they don't add on. Similarly, having multiple LS's should do more damage to any intersecting units.

I really want to use Lightning Shield, but i still have to trigger the damage since it deals damage per second only. (not damage over millisecond)
I think LS damages allied units as well.
I want an LS that damages the enemies of the caster but not the target.
I also need a dummy damage source so that the damage works even if the caster died.
Then using triggers, i have to detect whose Lightning Shield is on the unit.
That's how i come up with my temporary solution.

keychup

Reaction score
If you dont want the damage to stack then how will you be able to detect damage from shields created by different players?

Maelbog

Reaction score
I don't know how so i didn't use Lightning Shield.
I made damage stacking/non-stacking with triggers.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Add the targeted unit into a Unit group. Then condition it if the unit is already in the Unitgroup then don't deal damage. After the duration, remove the unit from the Unitgroup. Then again, there might be other problems to think about. But let's see what you have in mind then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.