Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
17453745.png

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I use DSL "sbcglobal.net"

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
Probably not.
Your connection speed can vary but almost always just because you have something else using up bandwidth.

If you want to try speeding it up then make sure nothing else is using bandwidth in the background.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
hobo218 said:
Probably not.
Your connection speed can vary but almost always just because you have something else using up bandwidth.

If you want to try speeding it up then make sure nothing else is using bandwidth in the background.

Anykind of programs or anything i should know that im using up for bandwidth.

B

bengy89

i think (but don't quote me) that you can't do anything - the only thing that's likely to be slowing your connection down is the speed of your modem processing your incoming signal.

H

hippieholgy

It is like two sides of a story.

What you can do to speed up the connection is to close programms using up bandwith, that is true.

Maybe you can get a tool from your DSL company to monitor activity.
For example there is a tool called dsl manager used by t-online, a german provider. It shows the actual traffic and the programms using up bandwith.

Something else you can do is to check your provider, if you really get what you are paying for. Maybe you live far away from an access point and get a weak signal, or there is just to much traffic in that region.

But more than all that, it depends a lot on what sites you try to watch. The maximum speed you can get is the speed of the source server, nothing more.

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
There are a lot of facets to a cablemodem connection that can cause problems.

If you call your cable company, they can run a quality check on your line and advise you as to its status.

Similarly, an on site tech can monitor the quality of the line and troubleshoot problems.

Some problems you can control. The cable that feeds into your computer, I find, is a lot more sensitive than the cable that you use on your television display. Because of that, you want to be focused on being able to provide the best signal strength possible.

First thing to consider - how much cable are you using, and what quality is it? A cable made of a good conductive material holds the signal much better than your el-cheapo brand. A shorter cable holds a better signal than a longer one (consider having a more proximal outlet installed as opposed to a big long extension wire running around your house). Avoid splitters like the PLAGUE, unless you can get one that is capable of reproducing the signal (usually requires a power outlet to do). Splitters, well, split, and split signals lose strength.

From there, you want to verify that your computer is a good host for the signal. In general, you want to make sure your cable company has provided you with a good make of cablemodems. Over time, it appears that cablemodems do break down in such a manner that performance starts to degrade. If your company provides the el-cheapo brand, you may want to use your own cablemodem (they'll usually allow you to do this, and sometimes at a discount since you're not "renting" their modem anymore). From there, make sure you have a good router. In general, avoid wireless routers if you can, for pretty obvious reasons. A wireless model will never be as efficient as a wired model, despite the convenience.

If you're still experiencing problems, it's likely something you need to take up with the cable company at their end. All sorts of endless issues can be manifest on their end, and all you can really do is make sure your end is as pristine as possible.

Also note this advice is more helpful if you have a cable connection, which you don't!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.