Help with custom abilities

Funyuns93

I was wondering if someone could help me with custom abilities on the editor. Please PM me or post here and I'll give you my skype information so we can discuss on there.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
I AM willing to help, but I do not have SC2 installed, but I'm most likely able to help you with most of your problems. Still I'd suggest you to simply post your problems here :)

Anyway, add me on skype if you need help, I'm rarely online though :)
(go on my profile here, and you'll find my skype contact info)

Funyuns93

Ok thank you. I guess I'll post my problem on here for now, maybe you can help.
Well what I'm trying to do is make a fireball ability that travels a certain distance and disappears, say like 10 range, and if it hits a unit while traveling it drags it with it until it reaches its location.
First problem I'm having is that I can't seem to make the fireball keep going it always stops at the target point.

I just started using the editor with minimal Wc3 editor experience, but I'm learning a bit just messing around in it. Thanks for anything you can help me with.

X-maul

Ok thank you. I guess I'll post my problem on here for now, maybe you can help.
Well what I'm trying to do is make a fireball ability that travels a certain distance and disappears, say like 10 range, and if it hits a unit while traveling it drags it with it until it reaches its location.
First problem I'm having is that I can't seem to make the fireball keep going it always stops at the target point.

I just started using the editor with minimal Wc3 editor experience, but I'm learning a bit just messing around in it. Thanks for anything you can help me with.

First of, you want to make a missile launch in a target direction and not to a target point. What you need to do, is to make a Create Persistant effect, that will launch your Launch Missile effect to 0,10,0 (x,y,z).

So you make your ability lauch the Create Persistant effect, which will lauch your Lauch Missile to a range of 10 in front of the caster.

Toy around with it, as mentioned I do not have SC2 installed on this computer, so I can't create an example, maybe someone else can.

Funyuns93

First of, you want to make a missile launch in a target direction and not to a target point. What you need to do, is to make a Create Persistant effect, that will launch your Launch Missile effect to 0,10,0 (x,y,z).

So you make your ability lauch the Create Persistant effect, which will lauch your Lauch Missile to a range of 10 in front of the caster.

Toy around with it, as mentioned I do not have SC2 installed on this computer, so I can't create an example, maybe someone else can.
I can't find target direction when I try to change it, its not in there.

X-maul

oh, well that's because it's not a thing, you have to make the effect launch at an offset of 0,10,0. I'm sorry that I can't help you more than that. Hopefully someone with the editor installed will be able to help you.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to help, but unfortunately movers still confuse me. I spent a lot of time trying to get something like this to work on my map but I gave up. I started doing it in triggers instead by implementing a custom physics system that handles all projectiles and a lot of other stuff too.

If you want to try, you should read up on missile movers. Blizzard have a tutorial here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/maps-and-mods/tutorials/missile-movers/
There's also a very nice and detailed tutorial made by OneTwoSC that you can find here: http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/resources/tutorials/25781-diablo-fireball-spell-tutorial/ However, it might be a bit outdated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    Didn't the backwards compatability have issues too?
  • Accname Accname:
    I never had any hopes for that. Blizzard is not the same company it was 10 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It happens in corporations. They just absorb the companies they buy and it is not about the love of making awesome games it is how much money can we make with the least amount of cost.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Blizzard is watered down now hopefully they can pull it together
  • The Helper The Helper:
    they got a server engineer job opening :)
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I really do not want to move to California otherwise I might consider it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    yeah California is not anywhere you really want to live
  • The Helper The Helper:
    That is why I did not take the job Blizzard offered me back in the day, there is no way I could have moved my family there on what they were offering, not even close and that was like 20 years ago
  • The Helper The Helper:
    yeah they wanted me on the tech support team when they did not get me they got one of the next MVPs in Dinobot
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Dinobot was one of the youngest of the MVPs tkron probably could have worked for Blizzard but he had a good job in Chicago doing business programming already
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Dinobot probably still works for Blizzard would love to reconnect with that guy
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I wonder what ever happened to Wargasm?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This new version of Xenforo really is awesome
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Wargasm is still around. He works for the domain registrar where thehelper.net is kept.

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop