Help with looping triggers

T

Tojso09

I'm making this map where you fight in an arena and have ten waves of enemies. I don't want to have to write triggers for each wave so I tried to loop them using a few switches, but it doesn't work right.

As a custom in most games, the wave or level of the player is represented in ore and for some reason it jumps by odd intervals of 5 or 7.

My triggers are supposed to set a custom score for a player you don't control and as the score goes up, so does the time for each wave and the enemies within it. I have not yet gotten to spawning enemies yet because of the timer.

Please post if this is confusing to you or if you would like to see my triggers.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Well, you can't tell the game to create a variable # of units within a trigger, the units created count must be a constant value.
You have to trigger each wave separately.

T

Tojso09

I understand that the unit variable must be a constant, but I also have discovered that functions such as x^3 have a constant in them. so what if I used multiple scores, and using triggers to increase/decrease values to get the desired unit count? Would that work?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
No matter what you do, you have to have different triggers. It's what you have to put up with when you don't have inner-actionbox if/then/else options.

And I don't have any clue what the constant I was refering to has to do with the 4 possible constants in a cubic function...

T

Tojso09

The reason i mentioned that constant was because i wanted to show that it is possible to use constants to get funtions such as x^3.

And what I was going for was something like the level scheme in the premade "Defenders of the Galaxy" map that comes with the game. I was wondering if anyone had a easy explanation for it instead of having to follow all 30-odd switches in the triggers.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
If its just a level based thing, why use switches? Why not use a number-based counter like a neutral player's gas resources or something?

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Don't be lazy, its so much easier to create seperate triggers, although it will be much harder to edit if you make a mistake ;P

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
anarki, if it was possible to use variable values, THAT is what would be easy. Just set the value once instead of doing a 30x CnP.

T

Tojso09

So... is that it for help on this topic? just wondering. I would like to know if anyone is really good at looping triggers for situations such as these.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Well, nobody is good at looping triggers for this stuff because triggers where the constants change each time (which exception to the player number integer) aren't looping, it's several triggers.

T

Tojso09

I know that it takes several triggers and switches to loop, and for the constant, just use a nonplayable character's resources to keep a constant or to keep it looping.

I'm not sure if this works, but this is what I'm talking about.

Conditions:
Always
Actions:
Clear 'loop'

Conditions:
'loop' is cleared
Actions:
Set ore for all players. Add 1
Set ore and gas for nonplayable character. Set to 0
Set 'loop'
preserve trigger

Conditions:
'loop' is set
Actions:
Spawn x zerglings at location 'wherever'
Set gas for nonplayable character. Add 1
preserve trigger

Conditions:
nonplayable character accumulates 30 gas
Actions:
Set gas for nonplayable character. Set to 0
Set ore for nonplayable character. Add 1
preserve trigger

Conditions:
nonplayable character has least ore
Actions:
set 'loop'
preserve trigger

Conditions:
nonplayable character has most ore
Actions:
clear 'loop'
preserve trigger

Conditions:
nonplayable character accumulates 10 ore
Enemies command 0 men
Actions:
End scenario in victory for current player

As you can see, I did use multiple triggers, a constant (accumulates 30 gas), and it might be able to loop

T

Tojso09

coded triggers above to test and prove that it does work

public class starcraftTrigger//anything after the slashes, //, use starcraft trigger jargon to help explain what is going on{
//note:this only works for one type of enemy spawning at a time

static boolean victory=false,loop=false;
//booleans are basically switches, false means cleared, and true means set

static int P2Ore=0, allopOre=0, p2gas=0;
//resources used (could be called "variables")

static int x=0,y=0;
//x is enemies in the wave, y is total enemies faced, both are used for data collection only, DO NOT TRY TO PUT INTO TRIGGER EDITOR, WILL NOT WORK

public static void main(String[] args)
{

/*Trigger 1*/

loop=false;
//this line is a trigger, but it is not preserved and the condition is always

while(!victory){
//unitl victory is declared in triggers, the program will keep going through triggers 2-7

/*Trigger 2*/

if(!loop){
//means if loop is cleared

allopOre++;
//means add 1 Ore to all players
P2Ore=1;
//continues previous statement

p2gas=0;
//sets player 2's gas to 0

loop=true;
//means set loop

y+=x;
x=0;}
//for data collection purposes

/*Trigger 3*/

if(loop){
//means if loop is set

x+=5;
//use spawn enemies at location with the x value in place

p2gas++;}

/*Trigger 4*/

if(p2gas>=30){
//means if player 2 accumulates at least 30 gas, also, the 30 can be changed into a smaller number to show how many times you want the enemy to spawn at the location in each wave

p2gas=0;
//sets player 2's gas to 0

P2Ore++;}

/*Trigger 5*/

if(P2Ore<allopOre)
//means if player 2 has least Ore

{loop=true;}
//means set loop

/*Trigger 6*/

if(P2Ore>allopOre)
//means if player 2 has most Ore
{loop=false;}
//means clear loop

/*Trigger 7*/

if(allopOre==100)
//the 100 can be changed to whatever amount of waves you wish

{victory=true;}
//means end scenario in victory for current player

/*Data Collection*/
System.out.println("Player 2 Ore:"+P2Ore+"\t\tPlayer 2 Gas:"+p2gas+"\t\tEnemies"+x+"\t\tEveryone else's Ore:"+allopOre+"\t\tTotal Enemies Fought:"+y);
// ^ prints out data collected in triggers in each iteration while no victory is declared ^

//under these settings you face almost 750000 enemies with up to 15000 per wave, TAKES A VERY VERY LONG TIME TO GO THROUGH
//by wave 40 over 100000 enemies are faced total with over 5000 enemies in wave

}}}

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    My one game was basically Among Us but you sabotaged an entire medieval city simulated drastically inefficiently with dynamic NPCs :S
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    of course I never finished it x D
  • jonas jonas:
    xD
  • jonas jonas:
    I think you can still run the original game, just there's a chance your map won't work with the newer patches
  • jonas jonas:
    what development framework have you been looking at for mobile development?
  • jonas jonas:
    I'm currently creating (as a hobby) a space invaders like game for mobile using Xamarin, after starting a few larger projects that I also may not have finished :rolleyes::p
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Awesome! you should look at the Atari VCS platform it does not have a huge user base but the one it has is super active at around 11k and they have no games in there store
  • The Helper The Helper:
    basically it is linux
  • The Helper The Helper:
    OMG it is BanLord as Blackveiled on the forum
  • The Helper The Helper:
    what is up buddy
  • jonas jonas:
    thanks for the tip, that sounds cool. Never heard about the VCS before but seems like it should be a good match
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The winter vacation left a toll on me. I missed staying up late and sleeping in late.
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    i haven't looked into it yet
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    If I could use something Python compatible it would save me some learning
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    But Unity might be easiest
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    looking at old posts here makes me happy. Makes me be all like "wow I was pretty smart in 2009"
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    mostly failing at life through adulthood really demotivated me for a while
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    ....what I don't get is why the fuck they would force us to permanently convert to a version of the game everyone fucking hated : \
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    Raid Shadow Legends texture pack smh
  • jonas jonas:
    Most people fail at life throughout their adulthood. Sometimes we get to learn from it. Usually it just feels like crap.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What does not kill you makes you stronger is what they say
  • C Cherry.Grove:
    for real! :cool:
  • Varine Varine:
    Are we still on the topic of failing? I failed lots!
  • jonas jonas:
    If you ever want to talk about it we're here. The way I see it, you're still around. That required a few very difficult successes if you ask me:)

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome