• Heroes may purchase abilities from a NPC

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • A mix: Heroes have 1 or 2 abilities, and may buy more

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
So I'm starting a new project. I'm debating whether to have the hero(s) come with their abilities from the start, and they learn them (like normal), or to have a "quartermaster" npc, who sells different abilities, allowing the player to choose the abilities for his hero. I've come down to 3 options:

1. Heroes start with abilities

2. Heroes may purchase abilities (any ability on any hero)

3. A mix in-between. Heroes come with 1 or 2 base abilities, and then they may buy additional abilities.

Would it make a difference if the map was either RPG, AoS, Hero Defense, etc.? What do you guys think? Any feedback is appreciated. :)

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The genre does change my decision as an aos really shouldn't have abilities that are bought but in a rpg that could work.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
I choose first. If I picked a wizard hero, then I buy a throw rock spell, then that doesn't fit.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
like NightShade said

and in a rpg it's good to have specific class abilities, like a mage hero can't purchase Critical Strike or a tank hero can't purchase Frost Nova etc.

in aos it's good to have all unique and balanced heroes, with unique and synergizing abilities

because when I play a map (especially for the 1st time) in which you buy abilities for your hero, in 95% of time I get a DPS hero with Critical Strike, Life Steal, AoE disable and Avatar (or Damage Return, depends who am I fighting against)

you'll always pwn like that and it get's really boring

xy4kuz4x

Reaction score
Imo some skill must be learned by hero and some must be bought but must be in-theme skill.

example: an anti mage hero.

preset skill : spell shield or mana burn.

he can buy any anti mage skill such feedback or something else. NOT a skill such "fire bolt or holy light.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Imo some skill must be learned by hero and some must be bought but must be in-theme skill.

example: an anti mage hero.

preset skill : spell shield or mana burn.

he can buy any anti mage skill such feedback or something else. NOT a skill such "fire bolt or holy light.

hmm. How about let the hero learn the normal spells then he will buy only 1 spell, but it's kinda ultimate. But ultimates has it's own hero.

ex: this guy, Assassin, has spells to learn (normal), fan of knives etc, and will buy his ultimate.

assassin's ultimate (to buy)
Super High Jump, the hero jumps very high that when the hero lands, he will be stunned for 10 seconds. For assassin only

tommerbob

Reaction score
What about having ability tiers for NPC's? Each tier's options depend on what ability the hero chose in the previous tier.

Also, what about having Races? This could contribute to the unique attributes of each hero. So for example, you could have an Elven Paladin, or a Barbaric Paladin, or a Human Paladin, or a Troll Paladin. Each race could have their own unique strengths/weaknesses, and 1 or 2 starting abilities, and then depending on which hero you choose, then you have more specific skills for that type of hero.

How would Races affect an AoS type map versus an RPG?

Just some ideas I'm throwing around in my head.

Happysmiley

Reaction score
Maybe you could set your skills to cost gold, and then give your players a limited amount of funds. That way they have to put some thought behind :thup:

FootysMaXeD

Reaction score
I make a map called Footmen Legends, and I've had a good few suggestions along the lines of "Do it like Custom Footmen, where you can choose your own abilities."

Well, it would be tremendously difficult to truly balance something like that, but I have gave it a little thought.

I think the best way to make it work so players choose a variety of abilities, is to categorize your abilities into different taverns. One would be Passives/Auras, another would be AoE abilities, another would be single-target, another could be misc. spells/buffs/etc, and another for ultimates. The heroes could only choose one passive/aura, one ability from either AoE or Misc. spells, one single-target spell, and one ultimate spell.

I'm not 100% sure what your idea is. Maybe you're doing something where you buy abilities as the game progresses?

mapguy

Reaction score
Make something like diablo.

heroes have 10 spells but you can just use 5.

then U give a lot of freedom for your hero creation.

for example, druid can learn:

1 bear form
2 rage
3 werewolf
4 wind strike
5 volcano
6 rejuvenation
7 claw strike
8 feast
9 inner vigor
10 bonus STR

tommerbob

Reaction score
Make something like diablo.

heroes have 10 spells but you can just use 5.

then U give a lot of freedom for your hero creation.

for example, druid can learn:

1 bear form
2 rage
3 werewolf
4 wind strike
5 volcano
6 rejuvenation
7 claw strike
8 feast
9 inner vigor
10 bonus STR

Yeah I'm considering this as well. It would provide for more variety and require more teamwork among players.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.