Hero System in Sc2?

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Well, yes, they confirmed that there would be hero units that can have custom abilities, and they will add some features to allow modders to have the heroes gain experience and have items.

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
Ahmm, I heard there will be no heroes in the campaign OR skirmish maps, but will be available for custom maps.

Then again I see no reason why there shouldn't be any in campaigns, unless they do it like SC1 and do heroes as in "special" units. Which would be stupid considering they already set up the code for real heroes.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Ahmm, I heard there will be no heroes in the campaign OR skirmish maps, but will be available for custom maps.

Then again I see no reason why there shouldn't be any in campaigns, unless they do it like SC1 and do heroes as in "special" units. Which would be stupid considering they already set up the code for real heroes.

Yup, people think that it is an editor only feature for people who want to create heroes.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
I've read about it already in the SC2 Q&A Batch, there will be heroes in the single player campaign, but not in the multiplayer melee.

Also, for use with custom games, the editor will allow the heroes to be able to gain XP and level, aquire custom skills and it will be made possible to give the heroes inventory slots and items.

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
If they went the way of Warcraft 3 and added hero-based gameplay it wouldn't be Starcraft anymore.
I'm sure everyone is perfectly fine with the ability to have customizable heroes like that though.

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
SC2's two aims are both to be loyal to the original and bring in veteran platers, and to be welcoming to new players. Including WC3ers who would migrate. In which case they'd be pissing off a fair fraction of their bnet players by excluding heroes.

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
They are still satisfying WC3 people who want heroes by introducing units like the Protoss Mothership though.

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
Think about it, even if there aren't any heroes in games we'd like them to be in, we WILL create our own :D

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm thinking of making a variant of Jim Raynor named "Badass Space Marine".

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I kind of hate the hero system. So much power in just one unit, you have to watch it's ass and if it dies, you have to pay a lot. Much more fun having masses of carriers or utralisks and devourers or battlecruisers and ghosts with nuclears <3. Now, think that SCII will have increased food limits... now that will be AWESOME. No point in wasting food on heroes.

Thus, I agree with Blizz for not putting them in meele, but for RPG, AoS or other hero-based maps, it will be cool to have the posibility to make heroes. But just for that :p.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I kind of hate the hero system. So much power in just one unit, you have to watch it's ass and if it dies, you have to pay a lot. Much more fun having masses of carriers or utralisks and devourers or battlecruisers and ghosts with nuclears <3. Now, think that SCII will have increased food limits... now that will be AWESOME. No point in wasting food on heroes.

Thus, I agree with Blizz for not putting them in meele, but for RPG, AoS or other hero-based maps, it will be cool to have the posibility to make heroes. But just for that :p.

Wow, an increased food cap would be awesome. Zerg invasion!!

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Starcraft Q&A Batch 9 said:
Will StarCraft II Heroes have unique abilities?

Heroes will have unique abilities different from regular unit abilities. Heroes will be playable only for single player and will not be a part of the multiplayer skirmish experience.

Increased Food Cap, they taken that and made Warcraft armies look silly

Starcraft Q&A Batch 18 said:
When grouping units to a control group, how many units could be added to one group?

Currently, players are able to select more than 150 units in a single control group. The final actual number will be determined by hardware performance tests on the game, but should still be close to that number.

More then 150 units in one group :nuts:

BlightWarden

Reaction score
Well, yes, they confirmed that there would be hero units that can have custom abilities, and they will add some features to allow modders to have the heroes gain experience and have items.

I hope so, that would be really great. It was one of the only things missing from sc1. Being able to use heroes that can grow and become stronger, with a skill system and items would make sc2 (IMO) the best futuristic rts game out.

I'm a big dawn of war fan, I got winter assault, darkcrusade and soulstorm. Warhammer 40k has always been my favorite futuristic game, but dawn of war made the mistake of no world builder. The items only exist in campaign mode and the heroes don't gain levels, but they do gain upgrades.

SC2 with a good yet easy to use map maker including heroes, xp levels, items and skills would make some very awesome game types. I have yet to find a fantasy rts game that can rival wc3 simply because of the editors potential which has never been fully used to its maximum as far as I can tell, and considering the awesome maps current created, thats saying something.

Sc1 got simple after awhile because of the limited options and features you could have in the editor even with the additional download programs to add on to the editor. I hope sc2 manages to improve on the original editor by taking the detail and advanced customizable options from wc3, but simplifies it so we don't have to have a degree in programming languages to build a really great map.

The wc3 map editor's basic trigger options limit what can be done and is quite difficult to learn how to use, much less remember everything without near daily use. More advanced trigger bulders like those found in jass are nearly impossible for some to use (like myself) which can't get the understanding to sink in. Its simply to complex and hard to learn.

So I really hope blizzard makes it easy to use and better well organized with more indepth descriptions and details in the help menu. Helper.net is a very big help to learning what everything does, But unless they begin teaching the basics of programming the editor, or releases a trigger download of every possible trigger combination for all the different types of maps, I don't think most of the map makers ever be able to make the maps they truely want.

Sc2 could remedy this and I hope they do. Great ideas that never see the light of day due to lack of understanding of a functionality is a shame and a waste.

All that said, I look forward to sc2 and the incredible lag that will follow.:)

punwisp

Reaction score
Wow, an increased food cap would be awesome. Zerg invasion!!
Lol, if they double it it will still be about the same, they just rebalance the food they use, either way... Isn't 200 enough? things are already gonna be more massy....

Bunker warz and sunken defense FTW

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.