~ Hero Tutorial ~
By your hero, ~Linkoln

INDEX
-Basic Idea
-Abilities and Alike
-Attribute Point System
-Extras

Start with an Idea
The first thing you need to do is have an idea of a hero and a Theme. A Theme would be something like Poison or Gadgets. Once you have a Theme, then think of what the hero's main attrabute will be (Intellegance, Strength, Agility).
. . . . . . . .Hero . . . . . . Theme . . . .Attribute....
Example: Swordsman, Sword Attacks, Agility

Abilities and Alike
No two heros in warcraft have the exact same abilities. So make sure that your ability is unique and it goes with your theme. Dont worry if you cant trigger, theres alot of nice people at this site (and just as many jerks) that would love to help you trigger your abillity. So worry about that last.

Three things you can do; take a standing ability and change it, Create an entirely new ability (which is almost impossible, when every idea in existance has been used already), or take an ability from another game and alter it to a warcraft 3 ability.

Now lay your ability on the table, get everything it does and make sure nothing els is out there like it. Then give it power, dont worry if its broken couse were gonna nerf bomb it later.

Once you are satisfied, throw it through this system to make sure its not broken;

Aoe's and Jumpers: cannot excede over 200 damage/healing, stun for more then 6 seconds, and a cooldown minimum of 5 seconds.
Single Targets: should not excede 400 damage or 800 heal, Stun should be under a minute (hero timer is a forth of a normal unit's).
Passives and auras; Proc chances should not excede 15%, Return damage should not excede 40%, should not regenerate gain more then 50% of attack damage.

Then repeat 2 times.
. . . . . . Ability . . . . . Where From . . . . . . . . . . . .What it do . . . . .
Example: Glass Sword, Stolen from Battle Realms, Does x weapon damage to enemys and x to itself.

Now the whole point of Ultimates is to unbalance your hero. So go crazy, but make sure to thow on a nice long cooldown if its overly broken. Use your best instinct.

Remember, when making heroes, dont think about playing with them, think about versing them. That way they dont end up broken.

Attribute Point System
With level each attribute is increased. A good system for this is a 12 point system.
Each point is worth .5 increase in an attribute with level, and each attribute starts off with 2 points. Spread the points around acording to how you think your hero would upgrade. With this system, your heros cant be broken. :) Remember that the main attribute gets the most points.

This is the scale to weigh your points
2-Very Poor 3-Poor 4-Moderate 5-Good 6-Very Good 7-Excellent 8-Epic

Example: Agil 6, Strength 4, Intel 2.
Making this hero having strong speed and armer, moderate health/regeneration, and low mana/regeneration.

The Extras
The Model and name of course should fit the hero, a BladeMaster would be perfect for this hero.
The name wouldnt necessarily pend on if the hero was good or evil. Theres the generic ones like "Jorgosh the Mighty" that would work for both sides. For first names you just need to throw a bunch of crazy sylibles together, Jor-Gosh, Cra-reiq, Bon-reem, Etc, etc, etc.... And then add in sur-names, like The Mighty, The Fast, The Great, The Redeemer, and so on.

So now we have The Swordsman named "Jorgosh The Mighty". An agility class thats specializes in Sword attacks, like the "Glass Sword,' which does 5x weapon damage to enemies and 2x weapon damage to himself. Unique, Balanced, and interesting.

Comments
Well i think i did this well. If you have anything you want to add just put it down there and i'l make sure to throw it in. I dont think i left anything out :confused:, so lets hope i havent. Leave comments, ratings, If i mispelled something, random other obscenities. Whatever :shades:

Cya on the other side :cool: ~Linkoln

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
heroes* a lot* I* I'll*

Otherwise... Kinda basic and also why would you give advice on balancing? Balancing depends on the HP of other units, how good you want the heroes to be compared to units, and really just from testing. There's no definite path you should follow for balancing.

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
Way to basic......don't talk much about abilities and that is the main part of a hero.

Ultamates............so if I have a ultimate that deals 10,000 dmg but takes 5 minutes to cooldown is fair?

Throw a bunch of random sylibles together? I am not sure about that advice.

You should explain more generic balance systems, like if RPG, If Hero Defence, If Arena etc

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else... This is pretty basic, but this can be helpful to the people who ask "How do I create a hero?", so I'll spare ye some rep. Nice tutorial... :D

Linkoln

Reaction score
eh, first attempt, it was worth a shot

plus, with such a large subject, cant be too specific.
And if tahts your best instinct Bob :eek:

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Suggestion: You could add all fields for a hero and say what they mean....

Also, I forgot to rate it.

Rate: 3/5 - Moderate

This isn't bad or good, it is right in the middle! :shades:

Linkoln

Reaction score
I dont think you can make a general tutorial for heroes. Thats like making one for cookies. Theres so many types and varyables that its really imposible.

3/5, not bad for my first attempt

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Yea... By the way: I meant the fields in the object editor, but you don't have to do that because it will probably consume 1 or more hours of your life. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.