Heroes with Battleships Skills

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a Battleships map for me and a few friends and I'm having trouble with skills for hit points, regeneration and speed - only the first point put into them does anything and only the speed upgrade (based on a hero ability, not item ability) actually appears in purchased skills for some reason.

How do I create these abilities? I've looked at existing maps but they seem to use buffs with NOTHING to actually set the amount of HP or whatever gained a level. Very odd.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
What is "a Battleships map" and what is "skills for hit points, regeneration and speed"?
You have to be much more detailed if you want to get any help. Use terminology of the wc3 editor.

death_knight

Dark is the heart of a corrupted man.
Reaction score
@Accname:

Battleships used to be a popular map type where typically two teams of players controlling ships buy items (weapons, armour, health, repair, etc) and then fight it out to destroy each others' bases. Think of it kinda like DotA2 or LoL but with ships instead.

@The Pigeon:

Without knowing exactly what you've tried, here's my suggestion:

Let's say you're creating an ability for a ship that repairs the ship. You create an ability which only places an aura on the ship. This aura should be the same as the one on the Fountain of Health. Then all you have to do is change the values, icons and names and that should work. As for the other abilities, you can do something similar. And if there isn't an aura that does exactly what you want it to do, then all you have to do is create an aura that only targets the ship and does nothing, then trigger the effect you want the aura to have.

If this doesn't work, I would try to do it with items instead.

Hope that helps. :)

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
@Accname

Sorry! The abilities I want to make are hero abilities that increase max hitpoint, speed and give life regeneration to just your hero (ship).

@death_knight

Thanks for your reply! I basically did what you said with items already, so I might try auras;

What I've tried for the adding hit points skill (skill adds a static 100 of hitpoints per level) is modify the ability "Item Life Bonus" as follows:

Art - Button Potion - Normal(Y): 2
Art - Icon - Normal: Improved Spiked Barricades
Hero Ability (True)
Item Ability (False)
Level Skip Requirement: 1
Levels: 6
Race: Human
Required Level: 1
Text - Hotkey Learn: R
Text - Name: Reinforced Hull
Text Tooltip - Learn: Learn |cffffcc00R|reinforced Hull - [|cffffcc00Level %d|r]
Text Tooltip - Learn - Extended: Increases hitpoints by 100 per level.
Level 1 - Data - Max Life Gained: 100
Level 2 - Data - Max Life Gained: 200 (etc for each new level)
Level 1 - Stats - Targets Allowed: Air Ground Friend Self Vulnerable Invulnerable
Level 1 - Text - Tooltip - Normal: Reinforced Hull - [|cffffcc00Level 1|r]
Level 1 - Text - Tooltip - Normal - Extended: Increases maximum health.

(Each higher level has the fields filled out)

For the others I edited them in a similar fashion. Key points below;

For the speed bonus I edited "Endurance Aura" to have no attack speed bonus and set the movement speed to 15% bonus + 15% per level.
- Has 6 levels

For regenerating hull I used "Item Life Regeneration"
- Has 6 levels

For all 3 abilities they have the right benefits for each level listed in World Ed.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that passive abilities or do you want active abilities that increase your stats temporarily?
For passives you could either use upgrades (if you only have 1 hero and never change it) or you could abuse the item-ability-glitch to permanently increase hitpoints.
Speed and life-generation can be done with auras that only target self.

Manually leveling up item abilities does not work since item abilities are glitched in the wc3 engine.

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok, that's why the item ones don't work. Yeah they are all passives. I will give the option to change hero though.

The way I saw another map do it is via creating an aura (doesn't seem to matter which one), and giving it a buff to give the specific bonus. Problem is that the buffs never show you what they actually do - there's no option to set hitpoints per level for example. Only art and name stuff.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
My my that someone would still do these things!

No way without triggers for HP and spell armor. For speed and hp regen, auras. Anyway, people did such things long ago.

1) If you are a GUI user, look for the skedmap. It's in here: http://www.wc3bs.com/index.php?_=downloads.php. You can copy everything you need.
2) If you are a JASS user, you could look for antarctica - I'm pretty sure there was an open source version somewhere that had all of that jazz and more.

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
Triggers eh? That sounds promising. Thanks for your help guys! :) I'll look into all the links and try out a few things myself, you've given me some ideas. I'll let you know later today or sometime tomorrow how I went.

Btw @jonas I am a GUI user. I've been curious about JASS haven't got into it yet. I'll try the non-JASS way first.

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
@vypur85
That link was what I needed. Adding and removing the custom max life modifier ability each time I needed max life increased did it. I must point out to anyone who looks at that map that adding a NEGATIVE number to max life increases it - NOT a positive one.

Life regen and speed auras seem to be working fine, except the life regen one's icon doesn't show up in the list of learned hero skills. I think I should be able to figure that out though. If I need to I'll make another post.

Thanks for your help everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.