Demo Map Hidden Script

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can Jesus make Blizzard patch for a second time for his finds? :p

saw792

Is known to say things. That is all.
Reaction score
You can call Preloader outside of map init and the code executes just fine.

EDIT: Updated first post with another example. Also tested typecasting of triggers and passing them between map script, but was foiled by I2T failing horribly (you can typecast the integer, but every time you reference it thereafter it crashes the thread).

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
EDIT: Updated first post with another example. Also tested typecasting of triggers and passing them between map script, but was foiled by I2T failing horribly (you can typecast the integer, but every time you reference it thereafter it crashes the thread).
Oh yeah, experienced the same thing. I tried typecasting a boolexpr through gamecache into the map code and executing it there, which also failed. Therefore I conclude this is safe, and if it isn't, it should definitely be when unsafe typecasting is removed. :p

Edit: But I did note if you don't store it in a variable you can still use it.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
You're a winner.

A_winner_is_you.jpg

Approved. :thup:

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Haha, just thought of a use for this. Hide single player save/load disabling triggers in this. :p

saw792

Reaction score
How are you going to do that? You can't actually run triggers, but you could hide the event response as a Preloader() call that calls executefunc on your real actions... that's all I can think of.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
This could make an interesting anti-deprotection method. Just import a "model" file that things like xdep cannot recover, and add a script that crashes the game on init. Or something like that.

saw792

Reaction score
But how would you detect whether not to crash the game (as in, when you actually want to play it)?

Narks

Reaction score
Oops. Probably was not clear.

Make it if that the model sets a variable to true. If that variable is false, crash the game.

Since programs cannot retrieve the model without knowing its name or it being in the listfile (or something), then if you set an absurd name, they cannot ever access it.

Of course, they could just edit the .j file.

But if I am right about absurd names being unrecoverable, you could make a save/load system pretty tough to crack somehow.

saw792

Reaction score
True that. I'll whip a nice example for that up soonish.

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
My mpq editor searches the script (and object data and .slk files) for strings containing filenames. You'd need at least rudimentary obfuscation on the filename.

Not that it matters, because you don't need a file's name to extract it. Jass script is pretty easy to distinguish (especially compared to a model file!), so automatically identifying
all files which are probably script would be dead simple.

This is clever, but it's not going to stop cheating.

Narks

Reaction score
Will stop most people in their tracks. Unless someone makes a program to automatically search for something like this, most map cheaters are really a bunch of kids who follow a set of instructions and whine when it doesn't work.

saw792

Reaction score
Haha I've been through this argument before. Fortunately I'm not marketing this as a map protection device or whatever. The most useful (useless?) thing about it is the ability to use it for bytecode execution...

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Open it with notepad, I guess. Dont really know.

I actually forgot everything about this thread, and that is a pretty cool trick indeed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.