Sci/Tech Holidaymaker ate an octopus before discovering it was only the SECOND of its kind ever found

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member

A holidaymaker told yesterday how he caught and ate an octopus on holiday – only to discover it was only the SECOND six-legged specimen ever found.

Mechanical engineer Labros Hydras, 49, pulled the freak creature – dubbed a ‘hexapus’ – from the sea as he went snorkelling in Greece.

He followed local tradition by smashing it against a rock to kill it and then took it to a nearby taverna to cook. The chef refused to cook it for him because it was so rare and told Labros he should have let the octopus live.

But the hungry father-of-two went and fried it for his supper anyway and served it up with a slice of tomato, lemon and a solitary salad leaf.

After finishing it off he decided to check out what the chef had said – and felt sick when he realised what he had done.

Read more here.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
At least he felt guilty for it. Some people would just be like "Oh, there's bound to be more out there, it doesn't matter if one gets lost."

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
If there are only 2 then maybe this isnt a species but only a rare mutation.
I would argue that 2 exemplars dont make a species yet. And if there are more of them then it certainly isnt a big problem that one of them got eaten.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
If there are only 2 then maybe this isnt a species but only a rare mutation.
I would argue that 2 exemplars dont make a species yet. And if there are more of them then it certainly isnt a big problem that one of them got eaten.
We just don't know what specific genes may cause such mutations in octopuses (octopi)? If developmental biologists were to discover it, it will become a wonderful breakthrough in knowing the wonders of the Earth.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Yeah, or we throw a bunch of genes in a blender and see what kind of horrible abomination those wonders are able to produce.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Too small. Not enough nutrition for a meal.
I want to go to India and eat one of them bug-food plates; I hear their are very rich in proteins, and with rice / vegetables, they make a healthy meal.

I also read, somewhere, that insects can easily be "mass produced" or "farmed" or what ever the term is, cheaply.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/03/04/octopus.uk/

Seems to me that he did the right thing by removing a specimen with congenital defects from the gene pool, ensuring that it wouldn't breed and further contribute to genetic defects in the species.

It isn't a rare or endangered animal, it's just a genetically fucked up octopus.

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
"Biologists say the six-legged hexapus is the result of a natal abnormality as opposed to a new species."

Last line in the article, and probably the most important, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Man, I made this account 15 years ago? Wild. :)
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Seeing J4L is definitely a blast from the past.
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Oh hey Ghan! Long time. :)
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    J4L! What has happened in your life
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Hmm, how to summarize... Moved to the USA and got married. Became a professional software engineer and solution lead. Learning Godot for game dev. :)
  • jonas jonas:
    So you are pursuing game dev as a hobby? What industry is your dayjob in?
  • jonas jonas:
    FAANG?
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Not quite FAANG, less pay for a less hours/stress. Yeah, game dev as a hobby.
  • jonas jonas:
    makes sense. Do we have a hobby game dev subforum to showcase some work?
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    Happy Thursday
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    TGIF!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    hey tom_mai please do not archive anymore news
  • Ghan Ghan:
    AMD Ryzen 7000 next week :D
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    noice!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    "hey tom_mai please do not archive anymore news" ----> Got it. What should we do with the "News Archive" subforum?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think leave it for real old news that cannot be sorted the reason we had it in the first place was a server issue that we do not have anymore. I don't want to get rid of the archive just not put anything in it for now until we figure it out more
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The side chat has nothing on the discord. it is not possible but the biggest thing on my wish list right now is a sidechat channel on the disord that hooks up to this...
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I've been selected for the Diablo IV beta.
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Woo!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that is so cool
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Eh just noticed the new discord section on the side. Looks great!
    +1
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    :( feels bad I can't ever get selected for any beta I sign up for. It's annoying as heck.
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.