Home network

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Ok... my way is most likely going to work BUT it's not very ideal BUT it's easy.
Forget all the Network Setup Wizard crap that's there, use this way for File Transfer.

What you will need:
A Router
Ethernet Cables for x amount of computers, connected to the router.
The router does not need to be connected to a modem, just powered on.
Windows Firewall to enable File Transfer

What to do:
Right-Click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name Tab > Change the workgroup name so all the computers involved are in the same workgroup, suggested name is MSHOME.

So all computers are connected right? Go to :
START > Connect To > Local Area Connection

If you don't have a Connect To thing, right click Network Connection and right click your Local Area Connection and go Properties.

You are now on LAC's properties, right?

Go to the SUPPORT Tab.

Note the IP Address of the computers involved, it should be something like 192.168.0.xxx
if it's not, it doesn't matter, just note it down.

For simplicity's sake, go to the C: Drive @ My Computer (Or wherever you want to share between the computers), note that it can be a folder, but it is easier if we enable the whole drive to be shared.

Right-Click the drive to be shared and go Properties > Sharing Tab, then click the "If you understand the risk blah blah", more options should now be available.

Check the SHARE THIS FOLDER ON THE NETWORK box. And name it, name it something simple, like abc.
If you tick the box allowing other network users to change my files, that means they can delete + add + replace files in the shared place.
Hit Apply.

Now, on the other computer, go to ANY address bar (Browser not recommended, but it works), and type in: \\192.168.0.xx\abc
You should now be in the computer's thing.
Note that abc can be the drive, or ANY shared folder within a drive.
To view all things shared by the computer just go \\192.168.0.xx
Note that the IP will be substituted with whatever IP you had.

There you go.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
All the nonsense above might get you networked, but for the very specific speed of 1 Gbps, then you need to ensure that each computer has a 10/100/1000 Mbps network card and that the router also supports 10/100/1000.

In other news, for this kind of thing, a simple 5-port switch or so should work just as well as a router, provided you don't need wireless connectivity. (You're not going to get 1 Gbps wireless anyway since the technology doesn't exist (yet) so don't get excited.)

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
All the nonsense above might get you networked, but for the very specific speed of 1 Gbps, then you need to ensure that each computer has a 10/100/1000 Mbps network card and that the router also supports 10/100/1000.

For me, it DOES get me networked for File Transfer.
Also yes, as Ghan said - you need a compatible Network Card - mine does 100Mbps, not 1Gbps.

Also note I'm running XP HE, whereas the other computer is running XP Pro.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Gigabit LAN Cable

All Category 5 cables are capable of Gigabit speeds. That shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Right-click on some folder on a computer, go to properties, click on the Sharing tab, click "Share this folder", give it a name, click OK.
Then you should be able to access that folder that you just shared from any computer. Go to My Network Places and look for the name of the computer where you shared the folder.

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Right-click on some folder on a computer, go to properties, click on the Sharing tab, click "Share this folder", give it a name, click OK.
Then you should be able to access that folder that you just shared from any computer. Go to My Network Places and look for the name of the computer where you shared the folder.

Sweet. Thanks guys its all working :). I got my 1 GPS! hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.