Hoping to get two Questions answered

Manti

Reaction score
Greetings,

Manti here again.

Note: The reason the two question aren't specified in the title is due to them not being related to eachother (I would've made two different threads, but I wanted to avoid spamming; If I should make two different ones, do tell, I will).

So, let's get started.

My first question would be if there's a way to open Warcraft's Campaigns/Maps (For instance opening the Human Campaign in ROC, or directly loading, let's say fifth chapter from it) in the Editor.

I want to know that due to there being some triggers which I'm interested in using in my own maps (Such as Establishing a Base and Destroying the Enemies' Base), and other similar stuff.

The only campaign I have managed to open was the Demo Campaign which is located in Custom Campaigns, but that one's only got a mission for destroying a base, and it ends if you destroy a certain Unit (I believe it's a Keep).

The other question is somewhat related to the above, wanting to know how to create triggers for Establishing and Destroying one's base.

1) Establishing

I would simply like a general outline, if that's possible, as I've tried something on my own, but it becomes too 'general', and just messes up.

I've tried something like this:

Event: Unit finishes Training a Unit (Is Building/Training considered the same in the Editor?)
Condition: Trained Unit equal to Unit
Action: Mark (Quest Requirement thingy) as complete

So, I can already tell what's wrong here on my own.
In the Event; it would require a general Unit to train (Or well, build) something, so for instance, if I choose a Peasant to build it, if another one were to build it, wouldn't work.
Condition: Once again, The trained Unit would have to be equal to something General, so that's a no-no.
The Action is pretty much meaningless here.

As for

2) Destroying

I've tried making it a 'chain reaction', thinking that there exists an Action which would allow me to change Victory/Defeat conditions for a certain player (Silly me), thus making it so that, let's say, you kill a Crypt, Vic/Def conditions change to killing a Ziggurat, then when the Ziggurat dies, the vic/def changes again, and so on.

But there (most likely) doesn't exist an Action for that (There's only one similar, but for Melee), so that won't work.

Another idea I've had was to create multiple Events (Would that even work? Can one 'stack' Events?), but that would probably require some sick conditions, so... that's another no-no.

Sorry for the long thread, do notify me if I need to separate any of the questions.

What I'd like to... do with this thread is; get an answer on my first question (Opening certain maps/campaigns from Blizzard), and preferably get some general advice or an, well, 'outline' on the two Triggers which I'm looking for.

Thanks for your time, and hope you have a nice day.

Cheers,

Manti.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I've never heard of people unlocking the original campaigns, sorry. I could be mistaken though.

Triggers: events are supposed to be generic, conditions are supposed to specify whether things may continue, and actions are, well, actions.

Your condition, if you wish it to trigger on multiple units, would require it to be several OR's

Condition: Trained Unit equal to Peasant
OR Trained Unit equal to Grunt
OR Trained Unit equal to Acrolyte

So on and so forth. Within Actions, you should be able to find the owner of the trained unit & accomplish what you want.

As for your 2nd trigger, I'm not quite sure what you wish to accomplish, but this is my gander: You want the current quest to be to destroy high-level buildings, and as they are destroyed, change the quest to destroy lower-tiered buildings? You can assign units/buildings point values if I remember correctly, then in a trigger, if a building is destroyed & the building matches the quest building, search through that player's currently available buildings, find the highest-point valued one, and set that as the quest building to destroy (?).

Manti

Reaction score
Hi.

1. Thanks for sharing.

2.a) Thanks, I'll make sure to give it a go; is there any Event for 'Constructing Building', or is the 'Unit finished Training Unit' valid?
2.b) I want to make it so that after ALL the buildings of a player are destroyed, the other player will win (Similar to what you can see in some Campaigns - Final Chapter of Humans in ROC comes to mind.)

I've had this thought, but haven't tried it out yet (Got a lot of work on my map to do before it comes to use):

Event - Map Initialization
Condition - All units in *Region of the Enemy Base* owned by *Enemy Player* are dead equal to true
Action - Victory *User-controlled player*

I'd probably add a Cinematic, a few Waits, and etc in the Action, but the 'overlay' of the trigger, do you think it would work?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Manti.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
2.a) I haven't touched the editor in a while to specifically remember if "training" counts as "building". If building isn't a part of the "Unit - Specific Unit Event" bit then I'd assume training is fine for buildings.

2.b) So, this is a good thought:

Event - Map Initialization
Condition - All units in *Region of the Enemy Base* owned by *Enemy Player* are dead equal to true

But you want to change your event. Events is what ~starts~ the trigger. You don't want to do map initialization. Use something like:

Event - Unit - Specific Unit Event - A Unit Dies

That way, the trigger runs whenever a unit (including buildings) dies, rather than only when the map loads (which only runs once).

EDIT: I would open up the editor myself n check however I don't currently have access to a computer with warcraft 3 on it :p

Manti

Reaction score
2.a) When I get to it, I'll make sure to check it out, and if I need anything else, I'll make sure to ask :) Thanks

2.b) Ohh, I used Map Initialization because I forgot that the Trigger doesn't... trigger if the Conditions are true, but rather if a certain Event happens, and certain/all Conditions are true; and the trigger would, in my case, only trigger if the buildings are destroyed upon the map being launched, or, well, 'Initialized'.

Your version will, however, trigger upon any Unit Dying (Btw I think 'A unit Dies' is a Generic, not Specific Event :p), so it's pretty much 'constant'.

Well, I got what I came here for, but your last reply... God, it pretty much changed everything, I guess I'll now be able to make better Triggers, and things just got a whole lot easier.

Thanks a lot... again :D

Cheers,

Manti.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.