Hosting Problems

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Well, the title pretty much says it all. I would really appreciate any help I could get on this. If you have questions I will answer them, but there's not really anything I can put down right now that will help.

And one more question- in belief that this problem has arisen due to my wireless router (seeing as how I was able to host before I got it), would I need to do this from the host computer?

diggoran

Reaction score
I've got a hosting problem that I doubt is hardware: It simply wont let me. I can do everything except have visitors join my game. I can host it, but no one will even look at it if I wait 15 minutes.

I have heard that certain ports must be opened, your IP address must be changed, etc. I need the real deal. How Can I Fix This?

EDIT: Btw: Zero, If you don't already know where ur avitar is from, look up the movie "REJECTED"

Btw2: w00t my 50th post!

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
No, I don't know how to fix this.
And I picked this avatar because I remember seeing it in Rejected. "I feel great!"
*begins dancing*

Rad

Reaction score
This is a common question, you should be able to find many guides or posts elsewhere. But I'm in class with nothing better to do.

First, you need to find your local ip. This usually starts with 192.168

To find this, do one of the following:
A: Start > Network connections click on Local Area Network (or your wireless adapter diggoran). On the left under details it should show your IP address. Write this down.
Note: Network Connections can also be accessed under control panel under Network and Internet Connections if it's not listed in the start menu.

B: Start > Run (or Winkey+R) > type cmd > enter ipconfig /all and hit enter. It should list all of your network adapters usually starting with "Ethernet connection for ...". Find your IP address for the connecion you use (eg Wireless or Local Area Network), and write it down.

Now you need to access your router to forward the ports, also do this for a firewall if you use one (Ensure windows firewall is disabled as well, which can be seen under Network connections).

Many routers use the same ip address as your computer, except the last digit is either a 0 or a 1. You should try that first and if that doesn't help either refer to the manual (yeah right...) or find a guide for your specific router here.

Example, lets say my ip is 192.168.2.5 (which it is :rolleyes:), my router is accessed at 192.168.2.1. My old router used 192.168.1.0.

Now, if you didn't already know, you enter the routers IP into the address bar of your internet browser. It should take you to your router configuration page, which may require a password. By default they typically either use a blank password, or use "admin". They may also require a username which is usually also "admin".

*WIRELESS* Note the security flaw with a wireless network here, anyone would be able to access your router and enable/disable your access. For this reason most routers disable wireless connections from accessing this page unless they use a wireless key or password of some sort. If you cannot access this page on your laptop try doing it on another computer or plug it in to LAN. Note: make sure you forward it for the wireless connection, regardless of the computer/connection you access the router on.

Every router is different, what your looking for is usually reffered to in one of these terms. Either check the guide on portforward.com or find it yourself. Here's what you might expect to find:
  • Port Forwarding
  • Port Triggering
  • Firewall
  • Gaming
  • Virtual servers

I've seen routers that use Forwarding and Triggering. With Linksys usually you want Triggering. I suggest you try both, and if one seems different than what I'm about to list below try the other.

Forwarding the port(s).
You can see the port that (presumably) Warcraft III uses in the options menu, I think by default it uses 6112 (I haven't played in a few years). You would forward it like so.

Port Forwarding/triggering
Code:
0. - Description - Inbound Port - Port Type - Local Address - Outbound port
1. - Wc3 Port   - 6112 - TCP - 192.168.2.5 - 6112

Many routers also accept a range of ports, in which there would be two boxes for inbound and outbound ports. For this, just do 6112-6112. Some routers also do not give the option for the outbound port, simply for the port itself. You should be able to see why above, I honestly don't know why you would change it (at least on a home network).

Hopefully this got you through it. It's not as difficult as it sounds, you should do this for every game that gives you connection troubles. You can find the ports that different games use, and even the guide for your specific router here.

Although I never have used their guide.

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
This is sounding a bit strange- how exactly can everybody access the wireless router? If there is any way I could fix this, it would be nice.

diggoran

Reaction score
thx Rad. this is a real tiresome task but at least it makes more sense than just "turn on port 6112... the end". :D

+rep

Rad

Reaction score
This is sounding a bit strange- how exactly can everybody access the wireless router? If there is any way I could fix this, it would be nice.

I might have been a bit misleading, it's not like someone can walk up to your house, plug in their laptop, and totally ruin your network. Most routers by default will limit access to internet only.

This disables people from accessing other computers on your network, including shared files and folders, and will also restrict access to your routers configuration page.

You should go check the wireless section of your router to verify that you have some sort of security measure established.

I would suggest WPA, and if your router supports a guest password you can set that up for if a fried brings over his laptop you don't have to give him your master password.

This is the option I am using, and it works great.
WPA/WPA2-Personal(PSK)
Wireless Protected Access (WPA/WPA2) with a Pre-Shared Key: The key is a password, in the form of a word, phrase or series of letters and numbers. The key must be between 8 and 63 characters long and can include spaces and symbols. Each client must use the same key (Pre-Shared Key).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.