Hosting Showcase: Gigenet Cloud - True Cloud (In Every Sense)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Gigenet is a dedicated hosting company that has been around for some time. They are generally regarded throughout the industry of providing a good quality product that performs well. More recently, Gigenet started up a cloud offering that they have developed themselves from the ground up. Their feature set on their cloud platform is impressive from a cloud standpoint - you have the ability to customize resource levels, the operating system, network setup and so on. You can do IP failover setups for high availability as well. Gigenet's cloud is also a true cloud in my view due to the fact that they use a SAN for storage - all the storage for the VMs is kept on a centralized storage solution. Gigenet has multiple SANs and each has a replicated setup for failover in case of issues on the main storage cluster.
And it is with the SAN where all the troubles originate. I have had personal experience with Gigenet Cloud. We used them to host The Helper for some time after moving off of Softlayer and before moving to WiredTree. While I was happy with the features, the Gigenet SANs turned out to not be very reliable. In the span of about 2 months, our VMs had been down over 5 times for some problem or other relating to the SAN. Support was sometimes slow to update my tickets on the status, but they usually got an initial response out fairly quickly and would eventually get the issue resolved, but they proved to me over the months that I hosted with them that their product has a good roadmap and some great features, but they do not yet have the reliability perfected. This is a problem with running a SAN in a cloud setup - it is a single point of failure that can mess up a lot of people at once.
So their support is good, the product has some good features, but I wouldn't use it yet because it doesn't have the reliability needed, which seems to be the one big problem with most cloud setups these days. VPS.net has had the same kind of problems - SAN issues are plaguing the cloud setups out there these days.

The quick and dirty:

PROS:
- Lots of nice features
- Priced well
- Two datacenters (Chicago and LA)

CONS:
- Not reliable
- SAN disk speeds were somewhat slow (this got worse over time)
- Support is notorious for not giving you much information on what is going on

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.