How can i kill units that get close to unit type... like immolation skill in warcraft

Shlomi1515

Reaction score
im wanna make a snake game in sc2 and right now i have tired so many triggers to make the snake die when he get stuck in his tail or others... but i cant get any trigger to work 100%....

how can i do it? plz help me guys...

btw in warcraft 3 editor it was very faking easy :) i just added the Immolation skill...

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
I can see two ways on how to do this.

Way One - Data Editor
You would most likely get an area of effect spell that is constantly on around the user, such as Invisibility Field or Detection, and have the target be enemy units, and have the effect be damage instead of say invis or detection.

Way Two - Trigger Editor
You could just check whenever a unit gets into X range of other unit in events, and have damage occur or whatever you want it to do in actions.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Data editor:

1. behavior (type: buff) "snake buff" add to your snake units. set stats - period to whatever you would like. (I would suggest maybe .01)
2. effect: (type: create persistent) "snake find" add to the periodic value of "snake buff"
3. effect: (type: search area) "snake searchkill" go to search - areas and add a new search. effect will be kill and you can edit your radius.

easy as pie.

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
Dan the create persistant isnt needed i dont think. you can have the buff have a period thingy on it

Shlomi1515

Reaction score
I can see two ways on how to do this.

Way One - Data Editor
You would most likely get an area of effect spell that is constantly on around the user, such as Invisibility Field or Detection, and have the target be enemy units, and have the effect be damage instead of say invis or detection.

Way Two - Trigger Editor
You could just check whenever a unit gets into X range of other unit in events, and have damage occur or whatever you want it to do in actions.

can u make the trigger and paste it as text?

Dan

Reaction score
Dan the create persistant isnt needed i dont think. you can have the buff have a period thingy on it

This is very true.

1. behavior (type: buff) "snake buff" add to your snake units. set stats - period to whatever you would like. (I would suggest maybe .01)
2. effect: (type: search area) "snake searchkill" go to search - areas and add a new search. effect will be kill and you can edit your radius.

add the effect to the periodic value on your behavior. give your unit the behavior. viola!

Dan

Reaction score
can u make the trigger and paste it as text?
A trigger would be silly to use.

+ open the data editor. (can't find it? press A)
+ go to the data type list in the upper left corner. (can't find it? press B)
+ choose "behaviors" and right click in the list and create a new one. (for help, press C)
+ the type of behavior you are making is of type buff, as stated above. once you make the behavior, give it to your unit. (for help, press D)
+ once your unit has the behavior, you need to make the behavior have an effect that will make your unit deadly. You will now want to make a new data type of type effect. this effect will be of type search area. (for help, press E)
+ edit the search - areas portion of the effect so that you have a new search that finds a unit and kills it with the kill effect. (for help, press F)
+ finally, link your custom effect to your custom behavior. You do this by putting the effect in the persistent part of the behavior. (for help, press G)

post the letter of where you get stuck so that I may further help you. :)

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
if it was to be trigger it would be something like
event: every 1 sec of game time
but this is bad practice making a trigger that fires every 1 second via triggers

Shlomi1515

Reaction score
i did

Events
Timer - Every 0.1 seconds of Game Time
Local Variables
Conditions
Actions
General - If (Conditions) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
If
(NewHero[1] is Cloaked) == true
Then
Unit - Kill NewHero[1]
Else
If
(NewHero[2] is Cloaked) == true
Then
Unit - Kill NewHero[2]
Else
If
(NewHero[3] is Cloaked) == true
Then
Unit - Kill NewHero[3]
Else
If
(NewHero[4] is Cloaked) == true
Then
Unit - Kill NewHero[4]
Else

i used mothership field cloak and the radius is 0.001 which is work great

it's only game for 4 so i think it's fine? or it's very bad what do you think guys?

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Original snake: Create an abstraction of your playing board, similar to a board of chess, and remember for every field which snake is currently on it.

EDIT: Whenever a snake moves, first check if the new field is "empty", if it is move the the snake, if there is food on it move it and add a new dot, if there's another snake/itself apply all your kill/death counting and whatnot. Apart from death, which is in O(length), all of these operations are in O(1)

ZeroPoints

Reaction score
well aslong as it works for what you need atm its fine. but later try refine it or review it again if you run into laggy gameplay

Dan

Reaction score
Original snake: Create an abstraction of your playing board, similar to a board of chess, and remember for every field which snake is currently on it.

EDIT: Whenever a snake moves, first check if the new field is "empty", if it is move the the snake, if there is food on it move it and add a new dot, if there's another snake/itself apply all your kill/death counting and whatnot. Apart from death, which is in O(length), all of these operations are in O(1)

You're so smart it hurts my brain. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.